Sick baby

Backroads

So... my older daughter suffered some reflux as an infant and ever since then I can count on one hand the number of bugs she has had, none lasting more than a day.

My younger daughter, on the other hand, has had a fever for over a week now. Ear infection, it seems, and the original antibiotic didn't get all of it. So, we're starting a new one day after taking her in, hoping for the best. Her sitter, an older woman of Mexican heritage, has been giving her this homey herbal infusion which she seems to love and brings down the fever, but a few hours' later the girl is miserable.

My husband's company has him pretty much living at the Sundance film festival for the next week and a half, so I'm lacking some co-parenting help. Any tips for a miserable baby? Because I'm just not used to sick babies!

Use caution when giving herbal anything mixed with Rx. Make sure the water you give her is NOT commercially bottled. If your tap water is icky tasting, then filter it using Brita or Pur.

Just curious, smell your daughters ear - the one infected. Does it smell sour (infection) or yeasty (needs to avoid Rx such as amoxicillin)? All my childhood the Dr's prescribed penicillin and then amoxicillins for my repeated and near constant ear infections. Well, guess what, a Nurse Practitioner took a whiff of my horribly infected earS when I was in to see her when I was 32, and printed out Take two 10mg loratadine tablets a day for one week. Then one at night for a month. By then I was to see her again. 

My infection cleared right up. Turns out I have had yeast infections in my inner ear all along. the Rx fed the infection, and eventually blew out my ear drums. Since then I take two a day. Morning and at bed. Keeps my inner ears dry of fluid. No fluid, no yeast infections.

Get an electric heating pad or hot water bottle and have her lay down with the aching ear on it. This will help it to drain and it will comfort her. Depending on her age, you can give her children's Benadryl. It is an antihistamine.

Ask her pediatrician if he/she has done a culture of the infection. If not, ask why?

Cuddling her, sitting in the warm bath with her, even reading to her will bring much comfort to her. My Dad had me sit in the chair next to him with my aching ear against his body. That man was a walking furnace! My ear would start to drain, and then he would have me lay my head down on the arm of his overstuffed chair (which was covered with his clean handkerchief). When one ear drained - it would stop hurting. Then he would switch me to the other side.

Mom would get in the tub with me. Then Dad would come in and dry me off while Mom dried off. This ended when I turned 12 or so. Mom still was in there when I took a bath when I had ear aches. My equilibrium was totally off, and they didn't want me to slip and hurt myself.

You and your family are in my prayers - hoping for a speedy recovery for all.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Last week she started getting better, then took a 180 Monday. Last night she was diagnosed with meningitis. Fun fun.

OUCH!  Sorry to hear this Backroads!  Lots of mommy love to you and your baby.

As far as ear infections... We don't do antibiotic for ear infections.  We use Willow/Garlic ear drops.  I use it warmed up (test on the skin like baby bottles) to soothe pain at the same time.  We save the antibiotics for major illnesses... like bacterial meningitis...

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

OUCH!  Sorry to hear this Backroads!  Lots of mommy love to you and your baby.

As far as ear infections... We don't do antibiotic for ear infections.  We use Willow/Garlic ear drops.  I use it warmed up (test on the skin like baby bottles) to soothe pain at the same time.  We save the antibiotics for major illnesses... like bacterial meningitis...

I shall keep that in mind!

42 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I shall keep that in mind!

I forgot to add... saving antibiotics for the main things accomplishes 2 things - it helps your body develop and strengthen its own defense systems and then it makes your body a lot more responsive to antiobiotics. :)