Good books about the temple

beefche

I think both. For example, I know that the temple is full of symbols. I'm curious on what symbols were used in ancient temples and what was understood for them to mean. I know that the oxen used for the current baptismal temple fonts represent the 12 tribes which has a lot of doctrinal meaning. So, I think both from a historical and doctrinal level.

I don't mind if the book is from a GA or not, but I don't want preachy-of-another-faith type of book. 

Well it is not a book.. but a website with You Tube videos  http://www.vworthtemplestudy.net/

It shows temple related details from the Old and New Testament and how some other cultures religious ceremonies have large similarities... which could be distorted memories of an original.

I found it very interesting... I also found it be presented and approached as I would expect a faithful, temple worthy LDS to handle the subject of the temple.  The research seemed sound, but I am less able to evaluate that aspect.

Maybe you will find it useful

On 1/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, beefche said:

I think both. For example, I know that the temple is full of symbols. I'm curious on what symbols were used in ancient temples and what was understood for them to mean. I know that the oxen used for the current baptismal temple fonts represent the 12 tribes which has a lot of doctrinal meaning. So, I think both from a historical and doctrinal level.

I don't mind if the book is from a GA or not, but I don't want preachy-of-another-faith type of book. 

A good book on symbolism is The Lost Language of Symbolism by Alonzo L. Gaskill. It's very general and pretty comprehensive. Though not temple specific, there's definitely a lot of applicability. And i recall plenty of commentary on old testament symbolic differences as compared to more modern. It's a great one for learning more about gospel symbolism.

Have you ever watched a little documentary put out by the church called Between Heaven and Earth? The tagline is "religious scholars of various faiths describe ancient and modern temples." It's definitely worth a watch or a re-watch. I found it on the Mormon Channel on my Roku but can't seem to find a link for it online except as a video series on youtube.

Edited by Connie

On 1/31/2017 at 7:37 PM, Connie said:

A good book on symbolism is The Lost Language of Symbolism by Alonzo L. Gaskill. It's very general and pretty comprehensive. Though not temple specific, there's definitely a lot of applicability. And i recall plenty of commentary on old testament symbolic differences as compared to more modern. It's a great one for learning more about gospel symbolism.

He has quite a few books on the temple and the symbolism. Thanks for the suggestion.