Garments

Eureka

I went through the temple just before getting married when I was 25. I didn't feel ready before that, so I wasn't really pursuing going through until getting engaged. Part of the reason for me not wanting to go through was wearing the garments. I understood the reason for wearing them, I was just not interested in doing it myself (to be honest, I really liked my cute panties and didn't want to switch to the unattractive garment). I have always had a testimony of the gospel, have always gone to church and held callings, I just wasn't in a place where I wanted to make that covenant with God. When I got engaged I knew I wanted to get married in the temple, so I prepared myself as best I could and received my endowment. From day 1 wearing garments was something I never enjoyed and often found extremely uncomfortable. I did it though, I have been very good about keeping them on. I really dislike them though. They are uncomfortable, unattractive, hot, and they never seem to stay put so I'm constantly adjusting them. How do you all deal with this (or am I the only one that really dislikes the garments?). I want to keep my covenants and wear the garments, but I also want to have a good relationship with them and not find them so inconvenient.

Are they uncomfortable?  I'm a guy so it may be different for me.  But normally I don't find them uncomfortable except for the heat.  The pants are like long briefs.  The major thing is that here in Texas, it gets pretty hot.  Really hot.  And humid.  And hot.  Did I mention hot?  Yes, the garments make it a bit warmer.  But so what?

My first question to you would be -- do you find the word of wisdom uncomfortable?  Are there circumstances where you'd like to be able to have a glass of wine with your friends?  How about a cup of tea at a Chinese restaurant?  Would there be anything wrong with doing so?  Your health would not be noticeably and adversely affected by such infrequent activity.  But it would be a breach of a covenant.

The thing is that (I believe) there are some parts of our covenants with our Father that are supposed to be uncomfortable.  Uncomfortable in the sense that we would probably never do it on our own if we didn't think the Lord required it of us.  Why would He want us to do something like that?  

What are covenants?  What good would a covenant be if it only included things that we'd feel completely comfortable doing without the covenant anyway?  We are a covenant people.  So, we do things that other people won't do.

The next question I'd ask is -- what do you mean by "unattractive"?  Who's supposed to see them?  Your husband?  Does HE find them unattractive?  You know that you're allowed to wear more provocative outfits for love play.  I'd treat it like going swimming or engaging in any other athletic activity.  When you're done, change into the garments again.

Why are we asked to do some things that are not normal?  We are supposed to be a peculiar people.  But that's not all.  We need constant reminders that God is in our lives.  In the morning, I'm reminded by the mundane act of dressing that God is part of my life.  When I go by the break room at work and smell the coffee, I'm reminded that I've made covenants with my Heavenly Father.  And when I'm working in the hot, humid Texas sun and I feel the extra layer of cloth as I wipe my brow, I'm reminded that my Heavenly Father gives me extra strength to do my job.

So, I've given you a bit more info about covenants and why the garment (beyond just a reminder of covenants).  But to be honest, after the many comments I've heard from others (including my wife who initially had similar opinions) my advice would just be "stop making a big deal of it."

Hi @Eureka and welcome to the forum!   I apologize that my response here is a little disjointed--

*Don't feel bad about going to the temple "late" or anything like that.  A person should go when they are ready and not before then.  

* Garments don't feel comfortable-- you are far from the first person to have this concern.  I would recommend a visit to the distribution center and talking to the matriarch there bluntly about your concerns and see if you can get a better fit.  For example, over the summer I wear the drylux (sp?) fabric because it's much cooler (I don't have AC).  In the winter I like a different fabric.  I quickly found out some styles I don't like and vetoed them.  Find what fits for you and ask the matriarch for tips on which type you'd like, and different ways to layer them.

* Purpose of the garment- that's a go to the temple question to study out.  It's important.  If you want to ask blunt and direct questions, you can there.  

* "I'm not sexy thoughts" -- if you want to wear a seduce-my-husband outfit to seduce your husband, go for it.  It's just like wearing your swimsuit for swimming.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

Hi Eureka, so... I'm a convert to the Church.  I was already married when I got baptized.  I went to the temple for my endowments when I was 8 months pregnant so I had to wear maternity garments.  Being 8 months pregnant is already uncomfortable so the garments just went with the rest of the maternity discomfort.  So then I had the baby, then I got smaller and so now I had to get new garments and ditch the maternity clothes.  I first got the silk garments.  But they were so uncomfortable and my old clothes don't seem to fit right anymore - even the most modest ones.

So, I went fasted and prayed for guidance on garments.  Then, I went through every single piece of clothing in my closet, put them on with the garments to see if they hide the garments properly and feel comfortable.  I ditched every single piece of clothing that is not comfortable.  After all that, I was left with only 1/4 of my clothes.  So then, I slowly built up my closet again but this time, when I try them on in the store, I try them on with my garments so I only buy them if they're comfortable.

But yeah, the garments are not quite comfortable for me so I went to the distribution center and looked through all the different materials available to see if another kind would be more comfortable.  The lady there said I should order mine in a special size because I'm too short.  So, I sent them my measurements and they special made garments that are the right fit for me.  So then the Church came up with the carinessa material and that was just perfect for me!  So, it's been almost 15 years since I got endowed and I have no problems with my garments now.

Long before I was an adult and a member of the church, my mother made my undergarments. Why? Because I am allergic to the elastic. My knickers had no elastic, they had draw ties at the waist and finished hems on the legs and they were like boxers are now - some what- the legs came to my knees. I also wore undershirts that Mom made for me. Had short sleeves and were long waisted so that they tucked into the knickers and STAYED put. Why the the undershirt and the long legged knickers on a little girl? I am allergic to the lanolin in wool. 90% of my clothes were made from hand-me-down adult clothes. Mom's little brother's wife came from a rather well-to-do family. She gave Mom all of high school and college clothes. Wool, wool and more wool. Plaids, chevrons, tartans, Oh My! Mom took most of them and not only made me skirts, but also a vest for my baby brother and skirts for my two little sisters. Even though most of the wool skirts were lined, the waists and hems were not - and they made my skin blister. I loved the Angora & Mohair sweaters, but couldn't wear them.

So, as an adult this carried over, wearing undergarment bottoms made out of nylon with legs that came to my knees or mid-calf. Camisoles made of nylon or if I was fortunate to find some in cotton. Then when I received my Endowment at the age of 49 - the only difference was now they were Church made. I still prefer the drawstring knickers that Mom made - because there was NO elastic at all. Sure wish the DriSilque knickers would come with drawstrings.I do get the longer length tops and tuck them into the knickers to protect my skin from the elastic.

My first husband (non-member) insisted that I wear the fancy panties and push-up bras. Way too much scratchy *lace*, exposed elastic. Bleh. With Husband #2 (endowed member), he thinks sexy is the flimsy robe over nothing that I wear just before - - - - -. He also thinks that undergarments were never meant to be sexy. Granted he is 74 years old and I am his child bride at 64 years old.

thanks for all your replies. I guess I just wish that the Church would consider revamping their garments again but consider what is actually comfortable. Since having 3 babies I find the elastic around my midsection is super uncomfortable. If I choose a size that is bigger though I'm constantly having the garments slip down. I've tried multiple different styles but I can't seem to find anything that works. I have never had this problem with regular underwear (probably because I have a never ending supply of styles and fabrics to choose from unlike the garments. 

Have you tried one piece? Doesn't help much with the "sexiness" hangup, but they don't have a waist so they're more comfortable. 

Women are too conditioned to find being "sexy" in the world's terms WAY too important. My husband goes nuts for me in sweats and a t-shirt.. I don't get it, but he loves me and he's happy, so who am I to question? And, as said above, we can wear different clothes at different times. 

As for convenience, here's a quote a friend shared with me years ago that I have loved:

"... there is no spiritual power in living by convenience. The power comes as we keep our covenants. As we look at the lives of these early Saints, we see that their covenants were the primary force in their lives. Their example and testimony were powerful enough to influence generation after generation of their children. " -M. Russell Ballard

1 hour ago, Eureka said:

thanks for all your replies. I guess I just wish that the Church would consider revamping their garments again but consider what is actually comfortable. Since having 3 babies I find the elastic around my midsection is super uncomfortable. If I choose a size that is bigger though I'm constantly having the garments slip down. I've tried multiple different styles but I can't seem to find anything that works. I have never had this problem with regular underwear (probably because I have a never ending supply of styles and fabrics to choose from unlike the garments. 

They are actually continualy working on adjusting fits and all.  You can fill out a survey right now on LDS.org.  They are also currently doing some more test runs for new fabrics.  The low waist style came out fairly recently (a year?) and is very popular.  But year, I totally get the frustrations.

Edited by Jane_Doe

19 hours ago, Eureka said:

I spoke with my wife about this and she told me some things about women and their underwear that I had never even conceived.  I won't go into it now. But I understand a little better where you're coming from.

In addition to that information, she let me know that the Church has some "feedback" form that asks what you would like to improve on the garment designs.  She's sent in some suggestions and gotten responses back.

I actually found going to garments great in many ways. Solved so many pantyline issues.

All the answers I wanted to give were here. I also note I have different garments for different outfits.

Are you sure you've tried all the options? I guess I have trouble with the notion that nothing fits right in the end.

You know what would be really helpful? The ability to post reviews on the garments, that way people could get a realistic idea of which garments would be a better fit for them. For example, just yesterday I decided to buy 2 different one-piece garments online. I personally do not know anyone who wears the one-piece, but I though that I might give them a try considering how uncomfortable the two-piece bottoms are for me. My concern is that because there are only 3 different fabrics offered in the one-piece, and because I can't check them out in person at the Distribution Center, that they are not going to work out. It would be nice to be able to read what other people have to say about them to help me decide if it is a worthwhile purchase. I would also guess it would help the Church, because they could see in real time what peoples experiences were with the given fabrics and cuts. 

I really have a hard time posting frustrations about certain areas that the Church may be lacking just because of the backlash I will inevitably get. I know most of you are wonderful and have great suggestions and thoughts, but I also know that as soon as someone raises concerns or frustrations they are often labeled as not being as faithful or something. Thank you for everyone who has been so kind, its nice to be able to vent a little and not get ridiculed. 

I've never had an issue with people complaining about garment fabrics or how they fit. I usually take issue with people who then go on to say that wearing the garment is stupid, or against God's thoughts, or some other dig at the church and beliefs.

I've never had an issue with wearing the garment. But there are times that I wish I didn't have to. Usually, that wish is because of some cute top or dress I want to wear but can't due to the garment (and I'm not even talking about immodest clothes, just the garment sleeves hang lower than the top's). I live in a place where it get hot and humid in the summer. I have to be careful about garment fabrics during those times, but usually don't have much issue with garments even then.

I would encourage you to offer suggestions to the distribution center. I've always found them helpful and pleasant. I don't know that your suggestions would be used immediately, but I'm sure they will help as they adjust the garments in the future. And I've had several people tell me that the distribution center is wonderful in helping to customize the garments for people's needs. It certainly won't hurt to simply ask. 

Good luck.