Did Nephi know he was going to kill Laban?

Fether

I dont think so because he was fairly resistant to the idea when it came up. It could have been, while trying to pump his brothers up for another try within the city, the spirit came to help influence them through nephi's words. In that way nephi's words could be inspired by the spirit but without him realizing what he'd eventually be expected to do. Thats my take on it, anyway. 

33 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

I dont think so because he was fairly resistant to the idea when it came up. 

That crossed my mind too, but then I thought about hard times in my life that I knew were coming (mission, getting in a roller coaster, etc.). I knew it was coming, but when it happened I panicked. Not suggesting you are wrong, just another potential view.

I like to think he did know, that he went in there planning on killing him because he knew there was no other way to get the plates, but didn't know exactly where to go or how it would happen. We are always told as missionaries to have a plan, then follow the spirit as we go... Also... he did draw the blade before the spirit "constrained him". Why else would he draw the blade?

I don't think he knew.  1 Nephi 4:6 "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."  I think he would have written that differently had he known he would have to kill Laban.  He probably took Laban's sword as a safety measure - in case Laban came to his senses, so Laban couldn't use it and Nephi could, to compel Laban to cooperate with him.  That or he just thought it was cool (which, from the description, it was).  (Probably the former. :) )

13 hours ago, Fether said:

1 Nephi 4:3

"Let us go up; the Lord is able to deliver us, even as our fathers, and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians."

Pay attention to the punctuation and context.  

In verse 1, Nephi just got done explaining that God is mightier than Laban and his fifty or even his tens of thousands.  He testified of God's power with the Egyptians.  He then testified that God will deliver them from Laban.  In that context, he pointed out God's power to "destroy" Laban.

The punctuation then tells us that it was not "us" that would destroy Laban.  Parallel structure through the use of the word "to" indicates that Nephi is saying,"The Lord delivered our fathers and He destroyed the Egyptians (after the children of Israel fled).  Therefore, the Lord is able to deliver us and destroy Laban (after we have fled)."

Remember that Lehi already prophesied that Jerusalem would be destroyed.  Nephi presumed that Laban would be among those destroyed with the city.

23 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Remember that Lehi already prophesied that Jerusalem would be destroyed.  Nephi presumed that Laban would be among those destroyed with the city.

Fine >:(

thansk everyone for humoring my question ;)

• 1 year later...

hi 4:3

"Let us go up; the Lord is able to deliver us, even as our fathers, and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians."

Pay attention to the punctuation and context.  

In verse 1, Nephi just got done explaining that God is mightier than Laban and his fifty or even his tens of thousands.  He testified of God's power with the Egyptians.  He then testified that God will deliver them from Laban.  In that context, he pointed out God's power to "destroy" Laban.

The punctuation then tells us that it was not "us" that would destroy Laban.  Parallel structure through the use of the word "to" indicates that Nephi is saying,"The Lord delivered our fathers and He destroyed the Egyptians (after the children of Israel fled).  Therefore, the Lord is able to deliver us and destroy Laban (after we have fled)."

Remember that Lehi already proph