Understanding Intuition, light of Christ, influence of the Holy Ghost, and gift of the Holy Ghost

jerfore

Hello!

Today I have been thinking about intuition. 

Is this just another word for the influence of the Holy Ghost? Or possibly the light of Christ within each of us?

Would you consider intuition as part of the spirit of revelation and prophecy?

Lastly, how does the "gift" of the Holy Ghost tie into this? 

Each of us has the light of Christ which as I understand is what quickeneth our understandings. The gift of the Holy Ghost as I understand it gives one power and authority to access and teach the words of Christ. As the scriptures say, when one receives the gift of the HG then can he speak with the tongue of angels. Intuition is a spiritual awareness or our "spiritual eyes" that fan be focused greater through practice, faith, and obedience.

1 hour ago, jerfore said:

Hello!

Is this just another word for the influence of the Holy Ghost? Or possibly the light of Christ within each of us?

I believe that "intuition" is a broad category.  It is what we call "understanding without instruction or with incomplete information".

One level of that is what I'd call "mundane intuition".  It is basically our ability to see patterns on a subconscious level.  We may not know exactly why something "feels wrong", but it is often because we've seen similar signs before that we didn't intellectualize.  And when we see similar patterns again, we get a "vibe".  This is true for math and science, as well as dealing with people.  Because it is mundane, it is linked to some of our inherent abilities to "see" things.  I was gifted in math.  So, as I heard only a little bit about any math topic, I was able to intuit all the rest.  I didn't need nearly as much instruction as others.  And some math I figured out on my own before I was given instruction because I could see the patterns.

Another level (no, I don't know how many levels they are) is spiritual intuition.  This is based on the Light of Christ, the Holy Ghost, our own spiritual maturity, our awareness of all things spiritual, etc.  Each of these contributes to our ability to "see" that which is unseen.  Even our ability to see patterns helps us (with the additional benefit of the spiritual factors) to predict and intuit spiritual unknowns.

The more we depend on the Holy Ghost to guide us, the more our own minds, hearts, and spirits become like His and our own ability to intuit spiritual things grows.  It's like resonance.  When we feel some truths resonate within us, we know what is true.  If our spirits are so far detached from the Holy Ghost, it is perceivable that error will resonate with us.  And that is not the type of intuition we want to follow.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I believe that "intuition" is a broad category.  

Absolutely true. While I obviously believe that the Spirit can direct you, it's totally different from intuition. The worst mistakes in my life have been where I follow intuition instead of logic and reason.  

5 hours ago, jerfore said:

Hello!

I think intuition arises from subconscious reasoning, and reasoning that we are not aware is going on. The light of Christ and the Holy Ghost can certainly be involved, but not necessarily. I think intuition can be part of a thinking or personality style.