Wearing symbols/jewelry from other religions

On 3/4/2019 at 7:26 AM, unixknight said:

Historically, pentagrams were used as Christian symbols, and in fact they even appeared on the Nauvoo Temple. 

I imagine several here are aware that pentagrams being included in temple architecture has been fodder for many "antis" over the decades. I'm not sure if we co-opted the Wiccans, or they co-opted Christians, but I doubt many with associate the symbol with Christianity today.

LDS may take heart in a trend among some Christians to do away with crosses--much for reasons mentioned here. One church--Elevation, I believe--even replaced it with a logo of sorts:  image.png.813b146f5289baccd1801c13787945c0.png

They wanted to stress the resurrection too. IMHO, this practice may make good sense in the LDS spirituality, but is a hasty retreat for traditional Christians. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:18 PM, MormonGator said:

That's why I had to go inactive. The ward apparently has a dress code.

:: sigh :: 

So long as it's below the knees and you have a skirt on underneath, there shouldn't be a problem....

Aside from that, I used to wear a St. Christopher's medal, and wasn't even Catholic.  In my time away from the church I checked out the Catholic church a few times, and what I found was disheartening.  However, the St. Christopher's medal, I dunno.  Another long story for another time.  Let's just say that I've been wanting to read up on St. Christopher ever since.  Sure seemed like wearing that medal kept me out of trouble far more often than not.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, pwrfrk said:

So long as it's below the knees and you have a skirt on underneath, there shouldn't be a problem....

The LDS down here frown on cross dressing. These people are SO prudish. 

😉

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 5:25 PM, Sunday21 said:

I see no problem with wearing a crucifix or a a religious medal. Lawn statues of Mary are popular in my town. I don't know any Mormons that have any of the proceeding but why not? 

Perhaps is was my upbringing but I am of the mind that if there is not sufficient logic to support something there is not much logic in doing it rather than employing faulty logic to determine its undesirability.  In short I think it good to seek things of virtue, value and praise worthy rather than arguing if there is nothing wrong or of no problem as some kind of brilliant logic.  If I had an accountant that approached critical investments involving large amounts of money with the attitude of "I see no problem with such or such an investment".  I would fire them and heir someone with excellent suggestions of best returns.  It is far too easy to make foolish mistakes when not striving for excellence or the best possible. 

The Traveler

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps is was my upbringing but I am of the mind that if there is not sufficient logic to support something there is not much logic in doing it rather than employing faulty logic to determine its undesirability.  In short I think it good to seek things of virtue, value and praise worthy rather than arguing if there is nothing wrong or of no problem as some kind of brilliant logic.  If I had an accountant that approached critical investments involving large amounts of money with the attitude of "I see no problem with such or such an investment".  I would fire them and heir someone with excellent suggestions of best returns.  It is far too easy to make foolish mistakes when not striving for excellence or the best possible. 

The Traveler

Liberty: Why restrict the freedom of other’s? Many people’s lives are made more bearable by small things. In my town, people have a white concrete goose on their front lawn. The goose is dressed according to the weather, seasons and for holidays. It makes them happy. Small things increase happiness and help others get through the day. Be kind. Be accepting. Allow people to express themselves. 

17 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Liberty: Why restrict the freedom of other’s? Many people’s lives are made more bearable by small things. In my town, people have a white concrete goose on their front lawn. The goose is dressed according to the weather, seasons and for holidays. It makes them happy. Small things increase happiness and help others get through the day. Be kind. Be accepting. Allow people to express themselves. 

I am a believer in freedom, liberty and agency.  I have observed (as you have) that many people can be very happy with small and insignificant things.   I'm just not one of them.  To quote an advertisement on TV - "Just okay is not okay for me."  That great masses are happy with mediocrity is fine - for them but it is not what I believe in nor is it what I believe G-d expects of his Saints.   I work at loving everybody - not because I cannot find anything wrong with loving others but because I believe love is truly a noble and great thing to accomplish.  And I admit it is not ease for me.  President David O McKay said that it is better to be trusted than to be loved.  I think G-d employes such logic and when he selects his noble and great to be his rulers - I believe he is selecting them more based in trust than in his love for them.

I do not trust those that take the easy fun path of mediocrity because they think it makes them happy in the moment.  However, I have noticed that often those happy with mediocrity are unhappy with those that seek excellence - not always but sometimes.  And when someone stands out as different - I like to know more about their thinking and wanting to be different.  I do not mind asking.  But when I am met with hostility, or it is none of your business attitude or there is nothing wrong with it - I will leave them to do what, when or how they may but it is not the path I intend to follow through life.

The Traveler