Why is there so many missions in Utah?

Adolescent*

Especially in the Salt Lake area. There's 5 based in Salt Lake alone and 4 more in its suburbs, plus one centered in St George.

It seems to me that it would make more sense to shrink and merge all of Utah's northern-ish missions and combine St George with Las Vegas. Because deploying 1000 missionaries to Utah is probably way too much. Especially for a place where the church is prominent and has a majority presence.

1 hour ago, Adolescent* said:

Especially in the Salt Lake area. There's 5 based in Salt Lake alone and 4 more in its suburbs, plus one centered in St George.

It seems to me that it would make more sense to shrink and merge all of Utah's northern-ish missions and combine St George with Las Vegas. Because deploying 1000 missionaries to Utah is probably way too much. Especially for a place where the church is prominent and has a majority presence.

Majority presence is where there is a misconception.  It used to be at one time.  It no longer is.  Missionaries called to Utah aren't just called to proselytize.  There are hundreds assigned to Temple Square and other historical sites as guides etc.  I am in the Salt Lake City So. mission boundaries and believe it or not the missionaries stay busy.  There is also a big push on not only searching out those to teach who are not members but attempting to reach out to those not active.  There is a lot of work to be done.

• 5 years later...