Girls' camp (and scout camp) travel

Handbook 2 states that travel and/or expenses for girls' camp should never be excessive.

What do you think is a reasonable distance for the youth to travel for camps/youth conferences (as a ward)?

I think excessive depends on the circumstances.  Where I grew up, the temple was 6-7 hours away.  We sold candy bars and what-not to get enough money for the trip, traveled down on one day, stayed at the Marriott (they gave discounts for temple visitors), did temple work the next morning, and then drove home.  It seems like one year we stayed two nights...  But that was necessity - it was the closest temple.

A 9 hour drive (or two) with a bunch of girls seems like an unnecessary trial if there are perfectly good alternatives. :)

Our deacons and teachers drive from Florida to North Carolina for a week-long scout camp in the summer - they hold sacrament meeting at the camp as they usually leave on a Friday and are back by next Friday.  Our priests drive from Florida to Washington DC for a week-long activity in the summer, leaving on a Monday and back by Saturday every couple years or so from what I noticed.  The girl's camp is held 2 hours away.  I think there will be some hoopla if the Young Women would go out of State for it.

As far as who pays for it... our ward holds fundraisers for all these camps.  Next month, we're having a karaoke fundraiser.  Everyone is so excited I know of several families that are doing some kind of karaoke dance thing like you see on music videos.  Our family is doing a kpop thing with Psy's "I got it from my Daddy".  LOL!  Anyway, we usually are able to cover the expense for camps with the fundraisers, if not completely, at least partially so that the parents won't have to spend more than $50 for each kid.

54 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

9hrs, seems extreme if there are alternatives closer

This is true.

Now it could be that the 9-hour trip goes to the perfect place and the entire ward is on board with it. That's reasonable.

But if it's 9+ hours for no more reason than someone got a bee in their bonnet when plenty of other fine places exist closer, that might be worth a second look.

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

9hrs, seems extreme if there are alternatives closer

As far as scout camps.  There are always alternatives closer.  This is how my husband - the scoutmaster - sees this... he wants the scouts to take scouting seriously.  As a program to build Men out of Boys.  The Young Men program builds Priesthood holders out of Boys.  Between the scouts - temporal - and Young Men - spiritual, they hope to develop these boys into strong Men that will have the fortitude to be the foundation of strong families and the Priesthood Authority of the Kingdom of God.

Therefore, scout camps where boys are familiar with the territory with grocery stores close by and going home always an easy alternative doesn't quite cut it.  Florida doesn't have any mountains.  You have to drive at least 6 hours to see one.  The scout camp in North Carolina is on a mountain and a mile downhill is the lake.  This is a place that the scouts are not in their comfort zones.  Once you get in that car to take the ride to North Carolina, home is one week away.  There's no turning back.  You have to be sure you are committed to take that trip and that you have applied all the scouting skills of being prepared as you can't take too many things with you for that 1 week trip that won't fit in the back of the car.  Therefore, this is a mental, physical, emotional training exercise.  Anyway, the boys love it and there is a palpable change that you can see with the deacons that go.  We're the only ward that does it in our entire stake.  The other ward that does it is in a different stake, therefore a different pack (the bishop was my father-in-law).

When my husband was a deacon, he was in a ward in San Diego.  His dad was the scoutmaster.  Their scouting program spends 1 week in the summer on a camp where they canoe down the Colorado River somewhere close to the Grand Canyon National Park.  The scout leaders dropped off the boys on one end of the river with their canoes and their backpacks that can't be heavier than 1/3 of their weight and they pick them up at another end of the river 3 days later.  They get to fend for themselves for 3 days and 2 nights with their provisions in their backpacks while the leaders take points along the way to manage the activity.  This activity is one of my husband's most talked about event of his entire existence.  He's going on 40 now and he still talks about it with my boys.  Both my boys has gone through the North Carolina trip.  And it has become one of their most talked about events of their young lives especially the part where they swam 1 mile across the lake.  I wouldn't be surprised that they'll turn 40 and they'd be talking about it to their own sons too.

Edited by anatess2

One thing I noticed with our Young Men and Young Women.  When they bear their testimonies after these camps, the Young Men usually talks about the stuff they did - especially the most challenging things that tested their physical endurance.  The Young Women on the other hand usually talks about the relationships they developed - especially the ones that tested their spiritual endurance.

I don't really know if that would be universal to experiences like these but just going by our ward's experiences, it seems like where one goes for camp has more effect on the experiences of Young Men than Young Women.

We live within a couple hours of 2 different mountain ranges, and within 3-4 of several more. We drive past many beautiful and remote areas to get to the place we'll be going. Well, I won't be going. The time it will take to hold a camp that far away is prohibitive to most leaders, including me. But that's of no concern to the camp director, who says she had plenty of people who want to go. I guess it's more important for "plenty of people" to bond with the girls than their leaders.

I try to support our bishop but I don't understand why he'd approve this.

I'm frustrated and not feeling at all supportive of our camp leader, and wondered if I was being unreasonable.

4 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

We live within a couple hours of 2 different mountain ranges, and within 3-4 of several more. We drive past many beautiful and remote areas to get to the place we'll be going. Well, I won't be going. The time it will take to hold a camp that far away is prohibitive to most leaders, including me. But that's of no concern to the camp director, who says she had plenty of people who want to go. I guess it's more important for "plenty of people" to bond with the girls than their leaders.

I try to support our bishop but I don't understand why he'd approve this.

I'm frustrated and not feeling at all supportive of our camp leader, and wondered if I was being unreasonable.

I'm fairly certain we'll have the same frustration and push back if our Young Women would plan something like this for no other reason than... I'm not really sure what their reason is in choosing the far away place over the others other than it's far away?

Our Young Men wouldn't even blink an eye as long as there are enough leaders that will go to supervise.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Our deacons and teachers drive from Florida to North Carolina for a week-long scout camp in the summer - they hold sacrament meeting at the camp as they usually leave on a Friday and are back by next Friday.  Our priests drive from Florida to Washington DC for a week-long activity in the summer, leaving on a Monday and back by Saturday every couple years or so from what I noticed.  The girl's camp is held 2 hours away.  I think there will be some hoopla if the Young Women would go out of State for it....

Why would there be a hoopla if the YW went out of State? It's acceptable for the YM to go on exciting adventures but not the YW.

M.

3 hours ago, Maureen said:

Why would there be a hoopla if the YW went out of State? It's acceptable for the YM to go on exciting adventures but not the YW.

M.

Because the boys and their parents (including me) don't much mind them going to North Carolina or Washington DC or Tenessee, etc., whereas the girls and their parents (including their leaders) do not like going to any other place except that one they go to every year in Orlando.  You can go ask the parents why.  I don't have daughters so I've never bothered about Girl's Camp.

But yeah, I would imagine the Feminist SJW's would read something about women suppression into that.  Sigh.

Edited by anatess2

Most areas that I know of generally have stake girls' camp, and are assigned a church camp where they go every year. The boys have their big campouts in the same places every year, too. They just happen to have many other outings because of the scouting program. Anyway, our stake started doing ward camps every other year, where we call our own camp leader who makes the plans. I just don't know of the guys or the girls ever going this far. 

Introspectively, I'm struggling with my calling generally, and it's all about the people I work under/with. The last 6 months have been kind of cruddy in that way. I've felt a longing to be released.... until I think of my girls, and I know that they are the reason I'm there; and of at least 2 specifically have needed me there. So I'm probably having a general adversary-kicking and need to constantly remind myself that it's about the girls, not the politics. But even then, it goes back to being disappointed that I can't go to camp. That's our main bonding time for the year.