Mormons and Jell-O: A History

Mormons love Jell-O™. It's indisputable fact, supported by the 2001 state resolution that named Jell-O Utah's official state snack. Jell-O is so ingrained in the Mormon image that Utah has been dubbed the "Jell-O belt" of America. Which is all fine and dandy. We can make a mean Jell-O salad for the ward potluck. But in spite of Utah's firm hold on the first place spot in Jell-O sales in the past, Jell-O has captured the heart of the American people for over a century. Are you prepared for the wiggly, jiggly history of Mormons and Jell-O? It's not what you think. 1897: Jell-O brand created by Pearle Bixby Waite Original flavors included strawberry, raspberry, orange, and lemon. Waite sold his new company after 2 years to Orater Frank Woodward, owner of Genesee Pure Foods Company. 1904: Jell-O advertising campaign of the Century via Pinterest Jell-O launched an extensive advertising campaign designed to brand Jell-O as "America's Most Famous Dessert." Advertisements like this one drawn by Norman Rockwell branded Jell-O as the food of...

View the full article

It amuses me when I read/hear that Jello is a Mormon/Utah thing. I am 64 years old, grew up in a non-mormon environment in the community of Ballard in Seattle, Wa.  Actually we were surrounded by Catholics, Lutherans, Protestants, Methodists, and one family was Baptist, all within a six block radius.

At all of the schools,( grade, Jr. & Senior High) fruit flavored jell-o was served AND quite a few of us who brought our lunches, brought jell-o too. On Wednesday's Mom sent the ground up bologna w/dill pickles and mixed up with miracle whip on home made white bread sandwich, a square of brownie AND raspberry jell-o in a bowl I had best bring home!

Holidays Mom served grated cabbage mixed into lemon, lime, orange jell-o that was layered served with a generous dollop of miracle whip. Or once she added chopped walnuts and grated carrots in with the cabbage. My all time favorite *salad* was grated carrots, softened raisins in orange jell-o, again topped with miracle whip. 

If we wanted jell-o and were tall enough to safely reach the back burner without burning any body part we were allowed to fix it. If we weren't tall enough then one of the adults had to boil the water and be there to help if needed. It was quite the wondrous day when Mom declared that I was finally tall enough to go it on my own.

One of my favorite treats in the summer was to eat the jell-o right out of the box. Had to take it outside to eat it. That is why it was a summer treat.

One summer my oldest sister and I walked into town and stopped in one of the many thrift stores. We found several copper jell-o molds for $0.25 each. Spending all of the $3.00 I had, I bought them all. My favorite was the fish shaped one - I thought it would be hilariously funny if we filled it with the carrot-raisin-orange jell-o for Easter dinner! My sister and I were the only ones who understood the joke.