LDS Perspectives: Depression and Mental Health Myths

Religious LDS culture has historically struggled to find a place for matters of mental health and depression as it dovetails with our mortal experience and our theology. As a result, many members may be unsure of how we as a people stand with respect to issues of depression, anxiety, and other common mental health issues. Elder Alexander B. Morrison writes: “I assure you that Latter-day Saints are in no way exempt from the burden of mental illness, either as victim, caregiver, family member, or friend. In every ward and stake, there are severely depressed men and women; elderly people with failing memories and reduced intellectual capacities; youth or adults struggling to escape the dark specter of suicide; persons of all ages, both sexes, and every walk of life, who exhibit aberrant, even bizarre behavior.” Using Elder Morrison’s book "Valley of Sorrows" as a backdrop resource, Brian Murdock, a licensed marriage and family therapist, and host Nick Galieti begin their discussion by debunking common myths about mental health issues. Murdock then addresses the...

View the full article

There are a lot of myths out there about depression alright; not only in the LDS community, but the world.  The myth is that doctors and drugs are the answer.  What ever happened to faith and the priesthood?  I guess those are irrelevant subjects now.  We have scientific sounding names for everything now that make any affliction more acceptable to our faithless, secular, wisdom-of-the-world-based society.  Elder Orson Pratt had a bit to say on this subject.

The devil has invented various names for his manifestations in order to get the people to swallow them down; the same as the doctors. When they wish to administer some nauseous kind of medicine, they sweeten it up a little. So the devil has sweetened up these things in such a way that he has got almost all these manifestations under the name of science. If you want to see a species of devilism made manifest, it comes out under a scientific phraseology, under the specious name of electrobiology, animal magnetism, or some such popular name—names that have been given to real sciences, which have their laws, founded in nature, are now given to these supernatural manifestations. Why does Satan use these artifices? Because the people at the present day have become naturally scientific, or a great many of them have; and the devil thinks if he can only invent a real, nice, beautiful name, with some resemblance to a scientific name, a great many of these persons will swallow it down, and think it all right. JD:13:70

This statement is so applicable today.  We are a faithless society and miracles today are as uncommon as in the days of Christ.

Do you suppose that Jesus Christ healed every person that was sick, or that all the devils were cast out in the country where he sojourned?  I do not.  Working Miracles, healing the sick, raising the dead, and the like were almost as rare in his days as in this our day.  Once in a while the people would have faith in his power, and what is called a miracle would be performed, but the sick, the blind, the deaf and dumb, the crazy, and those possessed with different kinds of devils were around him, and only now and then could his faith have power to take effect, on account of the want of faith in the individuals.

Many suppose that in the days of the Savior no person was sick, in the vicinity of his labors, but what was healed; this is a mistake, for it was only occasionally that a case of healing a sick person or casting out a devil occurred.  

Brigham Young, JD 3:45-46

We do not believe in faith or the power of the priesthood.  No, we believe in doctors and drugs.

Glad to see Elder Morrison getting cited and quoted.  The more LDS folks read his stuff on mental illness, the better.  His Ensign article from back in 2005 is still priceless and relevant:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/10/myths-about-mental-illness?lang=eng

Myths and Misconceptions

1. All mental illness is caused by sin.
The truth is that many faithful Latter-day Saints who live the commandments and honor their covenants experience struggles with mental illness or are required to deal with the intense pain and suffering of morally righteous but mentally ill family members. Their burdens—and they are many—can be lifted only by love, understanding, and acceptance.

2. Someone is to blame for mental illness. 
Ascribing blame for mental illness causes unnecessary suffering for all concerned and takes time and energy which would better be used to increase understanding of what actually is happening—to get a complete assessment and proper diagnosis of the illness involved, to understand the causes, to get proper medication and learn behavioral and cognitive techniques that are part of the healing process. As victims, loved ones, and all the rest of us increase our understanding, then patience, forgiveness, and empathy will replace denial, anger, and rejection.

3. All that people with mental illness need is a priesthood blessing. I am a great advocate of priesthood blessings. I know, from much personal experience, that they do inestimable good. I know too that final and complete healing of mental illness or any other disease comes through faith in Jesus Christ. In any and all circumstances, in sickness and in health, in good times and bad, our lives will improve and become richer and more peaceful as we turn to Him. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,” He said. “… Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matt. 11:28–30). He and only He has the healing balm of Gilead needed by all of God’s children.

We must understand, however, without in any way denigrating the unique role of priesthood blessings, that ecclesiastical leaders are spiritual leaders and not mental health professionals. Most of them lack the professional skills and training to deal effectively with deep-seated mental illnesses and are well advised to seek competent professional assistance for those in their charge who are in need of it. Remember that God has given us wondrous knowledge and technology that can help us overcome grievous problems such as mental illness. Just as we would not hesitate to consult a physician about medical problems such as cancer, heart disease, or diabetes, so too we should not hesitate to obtain medical and other appropriate professional assistance in dealing with mental illness. When such assistance is sought, be careful to ensure, insofar as possible, that the health professional concerned follows practices and procedures which are compatible with gospel principles.

4. Mentally ill persons just lack willpower. There are some who mistakenly believe that the mentally ill just need to “snap out of it, show a little backbone, and get on with life.” Those who believe that way display a grievous lack of knowledge and compassion. The fact is that seriously mentally ill persons simply cannot, through an exercise of will, get out of the predicament they are in. They need help, encouragement, understanding, and love. 

5. All mentally ill persons are dangerous and should be locked up. 

6. Mental illness doesn’t strike children and young people.

7. Whatever the cause, mental illness is untreatable. As mentioned, during the past 40 years numerous medications have been developed by the multinational pharmaceutical industry. These products have proven of inestimable worth to millions. They are not perfect, nor do they work effectively in every instance—far from it, unfortunately. But we are getting closer to the day when physicians will have available effective drugs which are specific in correcting the biochemical lesions concerned, without the side effects which too often limit the effectiveness of medications today. I have no doubt that such developments, which we are already beginning to see, will result in striking advances in the treatment of mental illness over the next decade.

20 minutes ago, Jojo Bags said:

There are a lot of myths out there about depression alright; not only in the LDS community, but the world.  The myth is that doctors and drugs are the answer.  What ever happened to faith and the priesthood?  I guess those are irrelevant subjects now.  We have scientific sounding names for everything now that make any affliction more acceptable to our faithless, secular, wisdom-of-the-world-based society.  Elder Orson Pratt had a bit to say on this subject.

I think that people on our religion have plenty of faith and believe in the power of the priesthood.  There is no myth about doctors and drug helping us.  

23 minutes ago, Jojo Bags said:

This statement is so applicable today.  We are a faithless society and miracles today are as uncommon as in the days of Christ.

Lets talk about modern day miracles, in the last 200 years Science has cured Measles, mumps, polio, whooping cough, small pox, the list goes on and on.  In the 1st world we have eradicated these  diseases.  We have gotten so good at it that people think that they shouldn't vaccinate.  Look at the treatments we have for cancer, heart disease, and HIV. Contrary to what you think Miracles are just as common now as they were in the days of Christ. 

On the subject of mental health we understand more about it now than we ever have, the treatments and programs that we have for the mentally afflicted HELP people in need.  Don't worry there is still room for faith and the healing power of the priesthood, we don't have all the answers and still need Gods hand to help us out.

I'll put it this way:  On a scale of one to ten what we know, how accurate we are, and how effective treatments are:

Modern Medicine in general: 7/10.

Traditional holistic medicine in general: 4/10.

Modern take on mental health: 3/10.

Modern ''fad" holistic/alternative medicine: 2/10

Keep in mind that modern medicine had to start somewhere.  So, some of this stuff that at a 2 or 3 has bits of truth in it, but it is a long ways from being really good.  It doesn't mean there's nothing to it.

I know friends who have been helped by modern medical aid for mental health (a friend went from almost constantly suicidal to fully functional on the right medication).  I've known people who have been hurt by it (my sister almost committed suicide because of a misapplied drug -- and she didn't even have any mental health issues to begin with).  And I've known how many say all the drugs they've tried did nothing for them.

So, I certainly agree that there should be some level of skepticism with ANY method of medicine.  But that doesn't mean we need believe it's all quackery.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

In light of @Vort's enlightening posts on mockable psychiatry, I'm going to downgrade the modern take on mental health to 1/10.

Yup.  Good idea.  Modern pshrinkology denies the existence of God and Christ.  It relies wholly on the arm of the flesh.  Faith is kicked to the curb and is totally irrelevant.  We are a faithless generation.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Glad to see Elder Morrison getting cited and quoted.  The more LDS folks read his stuff on mental illness, the better.  His Ensign article from back in 2005 is still priceless and relevant:

I agree!  Thanks for reminding me about this talk.  I need to read it again, and share it with friends...as you said the more LDS folks that read his stuff the better.  

8 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

What ever happened to faith and the priesthood? .

We do not believe in faith or the power of the priesthood.  No, we believe in doctors and drugs.

In case you missed NeuroTypical's post from Elder Morrison of the Seventy. Wondering if you are disagreeing with him? (meaning, Elder Morrison)

We must understand, however, without in any way denigrating the unique role of priesthood blessings, that ecclesiastical leaders are spiritual leaders and not mental health professionals. Most of them lack the professional skills and training to deal effectively with deep-seated mental illnesses and are well advised to seek competent professional assistance for those in their charge who are in need of it. Remember that God has given us wondrous knowledge and technology that can help us overcome grievous problems such as mental illness.

Edited by Suzie

Yep, Jojo Bags is waaay out in the fringes of thought on this topic.  Healthy skepticism is good, gut-reaction anti-science demonization of a culture due to a strawman argument that things must be either blessings or medicine?  Not good.   

(Jojo, by the way, still waiting for your response in your anti-nuclear-power discussion here.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, Jojo Bags said:

Yup.  Good idea.  Modern pshrinkology denies the existence of God and Christ.  It relies wholly on the arm of the flesh.  Faith is kicked to the curb and is totally irrelevant.  We are a faithless generation.

I have very little confidence in psychology as any sort of real science. And I agree that we are a faithless generation. But I do not believe that looking toward modern medicine qualifies as "[relying] wholly on the arm of flesh." I will include in that regard medical attempts to ameliorate psychological illnesses, however ill-conceived some such attempts might be. If we are primitive, backward, and abysmally ignorant in matters psychological -- as I believe we are -- I still maintain we are leaps and bounds beyond our ancestral trepanations and the attributing of any and every psychological ill to demonic possession. (Yes, I do believe that demonic possession is a real thing. But I don't believe that cousin Janie's epileptic fits, strange personality traits, and halitosis are evidence of such.)

( I posted this in the other thread too, but thought it revenant here as well) 

When I met my now MIL, she was a stiff woman.  Not unkind... just zero warm and fuzzies.  When she said she wanted to see her granddaughter, *see* was the key word: she didn't want to play, to interact, or anything like that.  Just *see*.  My husband told me that this is "just how his mom is", and she's gotten more and more that way though the years.

Well, last fall we found out my MIL had a brain tumor.  Not cancerous (thank God!) but huge (the size of a small mellon).  This tumor had been growing in her brain for ~30 years, squishing her brain matter, specifically the parts involved with creativity and emotional connection.  Since having the tumor removed, MIL is a COMPLETELY different person- like watching her change from being in black-and-white to bright technicolor!   She loves to come visit, play cars with granddaughter, invites us to go to the rodeo, and wants to be so involved.

Yes, scientific understanding of how the brain works is in it's infancy.  We also can change our brains through training (counseling/outlooks/etc) and prayer.  But to say that the physical brain plays zero role in how a person behaves is (in my experience) completely untrue.  

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

Modern pshrinkology denies the existence of God and Christ.  It relies wholly on the arm of the flesh.  Faith is kicked to the curb and is totally irrelevant.  We are a faithless generation.

That's funny, because my therapist is a devout Christian who seems to have no problem reconciling her faith and her profession. Also, my mom and my brother (both still active and devout LDS) both struggle with varying degrees of depression and anxiety. They are both on medication for these issues and have both received multiple priesthood blessings to keep them spiritually strong in the face of psychological chaos. I think they would tell you that faith and modern medicine both play large roles in their mental well-being.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

(Yes, I do believe that demonic possession is a real thing. But I don't believe that cousin Janie's epileptic fits, strange personality traits, and halitosis are evidence of such.)

Vort's online gender avatar dysphoria*, however, is obviously demonic possession, all the way.  No unpossessed person would ever have such an avatar (not even the person who posed for the picture).  

* OGAD, for short

Edited by NeuroTypical

9 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Vort's online gender avatar dysphoria*, however, is obviously demonic possession, all the way.  No unpossessed person would ever have such an avatar (not even the person who posed for the picture).

* OGAD, for short

I've been outed.

BTW, I believe it's "electronic gender avatar dysphoria", or EGAD.

6 hours ago, Suzie said:

In case you missed NeuroTypical's post from Elder Morrison of the Seventy. Wondering if you are disagreeing with him? (meaning, Elder Morrison)

How about a few other quotes while we're at it. 

And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed.
(Doctrine and Covenants 42:48)

And this one

When we first came here (Utah) we had no sickness, and we had no sickness until we had doctors.

Brigham Young, JD 13:142

And another.

Would you want doctors? Yes, to set bones. We should want a good surgeon for that, or to cut off a limb. But do you want doctors? For not much of anything else, let me tell you, only the traditions of the people lead them to think so; and here is a growing evil in our midst.

Brigham Young, JD 15:225

And this one.

“Is any sick among you?  let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.”  This is the doctrine of the Bible, mark the words.  If any of the Apostles are sick, let them send for some of the rest of the Apostles, and let their brethren Apostles administer to them, and they shall be healed; the Bible does not read thus.  It does not read that only the renowned in the Church shall reap the benefits of this institution, but it says, “Is any sick among you?” etc.  Suppose God has a true Church upon the earth in this age, what mode would that Church adopt in case any were sick?  Says one, “If they had the same faith as the ancients, they would perform the same works.”  How shall we ascertain whether the Latter-day Saints have the like precious faith with the Apostles?  You know that the Apostles said they had the like precious faith.  How are we to ascertain that we have it?  If any are sick among you, you will send for the Elders of the Church, and let them anoint you with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith shall save the sick.  

You see at once that it is necessary for your works to correspond, and for you to send for the Elders of the Church.  Do you see this practiced among the Latter-day Saints?  Some of them must first try the physician, have the head shaved, take a dose of calomel and gamboge, have a blister plaster on the back of the neck, and another all over the bowels, besides one on each hip—in short, they must have six or eight large blister plasters on them at once.  After trying all this, and running up a bill with a physician of from six to six hundred dollars, they then send for the Elders.  When James is about dead, having had two quarts of blood taken from him on Saturday, and another on Monday, and when the life is nearly drawn out of the poor fellow by physicking and bleeding, why then they send for the Elders, and ask them to pray for him.  When a man or woman sends for me after taking such a course I feel insulted, if I do not act so.  I go to the house perfectly good natured apparently, and administer, but there is a frown of indignation within me.  I feel that they have insulted the Priesthood, trampled upon the order of the house of God, and treated lightly His holy ordinances.  I am not anxious to exercise faith for such persons, for I think that they are fools, and let them die the fool's death.  

If the Saints of God actually have the faith of the ancients, let them practice the doctrine in their works.  A man will tell me that he is a “Mormon,” that he believes in the faith of the ancients, when at the same time he practices everything else but their religion.  My rule is to practice our religion.  If I want a drink of catnip tea, or of composition, or of lobelia, it is all right, but I will first practice my religion.  You know that it is hardly allowable in Utah to drink any more than five gallons of lobelia at once, for the Assembly of Deseret once had the matter under consideration.  

I wish to see the Saints practice their religion, and carry it out, and if they cannot live by their religion, then die by it.  That is the doctrine.  I want my religion if I am going to die.  Most certainly that is the time I would not like to lay it by, for it would be unwise to do that, since that is the very time that one needs it the most, and is the time when he should be immersed in it.  I want to see the Saints actually show by their works that they have the faith of the ancients. 

Jedidiah M. Grant, JD 2:275-277

Another one.

The revelations given unto us on this subject are to the effect that “they who have faith to be healed, shall be healed; the deaf who have faith to hear, shall hear; the lame who have faith to walk, shall walk, etc.  And they who have not faith to do these things, but believe in me, I will have compassion upon them, and bear their infirmities, and they shall be nursed with herbs and mild food, and that not by the hand of an enemy.”

These things are for you, my brethren and sisters, and for your families, and all who are willing to receive the word and counsels of Almighty God.  And if our faith is so weak that we have to resort to medical aid, let us do it trusting and relying upon God, seeking unto those who have faith, and who have confidence in God, and who do what they do unto the Lord, righteously, justly and honorably, seeking for the light of the Holy Ghost to help them in their profession.

Erastus Snow, JD 25:37-39

And finally.

Another thing, we ought not to run after doctors as much as we do. “But,” says one, “if we have a bone broken we must have somebody to set it.” Yes, that is true, but we need not take all the nostrums they can think of. We ought first to go to the Lord and exercise our faith as far as we can make use of it in that direction, and we will make fewer blunders than we do in placing implicit confidence in the medical and surgical professions. When we do this we are certainly sure of one thing—we secure the help of God and the help of angels; and if we are appointed unto death, we want to go. We ought to want to go. Our prayers and supplications should be always conditional—that is, if not appointed unto death that he or she should be raised up.

Franklin D. Richards. JD 24:285

Just about everything in this life comes down to faith.  The problem with many LDS is that they cherry-pick what they think faith applies to.  Obviously, for many, it doesn't apply to healing or being healed.  I will rely on faith and Christ, not a profession that denies the existence of both of them.

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/dealing-with-depression?lang=eng

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng

The church asks us to get medical help in dealing with depression if the situation is serious enough to warrant this attention. I add the text of Bro Holland's talk this time.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/dealing-with-depression?lang=eng

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng

The church asks us to get medical help in dealing with depression if the situation is serious enough to warrant this attention. I add the text of Bro Holland's talk this time.

I had a double diagnosis of major depression and dysthymia, GAD, social phobia, and seasonal affective disorder till I was 54 y/o.  For the last eleven of those years I was suicidal and turned into a drug addict.  During those eleven years, I had kicking, fighting, screaming nightmares 6 nights a week, 2-3 times each night.  I relied on doctors and pshrinks till the cows finally moved to another state.  I went to doctor after doctor after doctor, and over time, I was given 22 different drugs; anti-this and that and the other thing.  If one dangerous drug didn't work, the doctor tried something else.  I was even given a bight light to sit in front of for a half-hour twice a day.  I did not receive one single test to determine why I suffered from depression because there are no tests to determine your level of serotonin or dopamine.  No one - not one single doctor or scientist knows what causes depression; all they have are theories.  Go ahead and look it up; I did.  I went to counselors, who tried EMDR and group therapy and play therapy, and this therapy and that therapy.  I was even hospitalized once.  The counseling helped a bit, but it was secular based counseling that did nothing for my spirit, which is where depression is based.  It was not until I stopped relying on the arm of the flesh,  e.g., doctors, and began exercising faith in the healing power of Christ and his Atonement that I finally beat my depression.  I still have occasional bouts of anxiety, but I get rid of that by getting on my knees and, once again, exercising faith in Christ.  Without fail, the anxiety leaves.

The Church once taught that there are diseases of the spirit, which are harder to cure.  The following two quotes are an official Sunday school lesson for the young women published in The Young woman's Journal.

How the Savior Taught by Miracles

Lesson VI

4.  Mind Miracles and Raising the Dead

Man is composed of body and spirit. There are diseases of the spirit as of the body. The condition of the body influences the Spirit; and any disorder of the spirit affect the body. Since, however, the spirit is subtler than common matter, it is more difficult to understand and cure diseases of the spirit than the common ailments of the body. The power of the Savior penetrated body and spirit.  Many of the most marvelous miracles are those that affected the spiritual part of man.

There are in existence numerous spirits. Many are good, and some are evil. At the great council in heaven, when the plan of salvation was formulated, the devil turned away one-third of the hosts of heaven, who became the angels of the devil. These spirits are not permitted to come on earth in mortal bodies.   This is their great punishment. No spirit can attain full happiness unless it is clothed upon with a body obtained in a probationary earth existence. The angels of the devil know this, and attempt to circumvent the will of God in various ways. They will enter the bodies of men and women, to the serious injury of the person; and at times will enter bodies of the lower animals. Moreover, since the mission of these unclean spirits is to do evil, by their influence and suggestion they may torment the minds and bodies of men. The miracles of the Savior therefore, which dealt with the diseases of the mind, frequently concerned themselves with the spirits that as emissaries of the evil one seek power over the children of men.

Very soon after the beginning of Christ's ministry he was recognized by an evil spirit (read Mark 1:23-26). The man who was possessed declared that Jesus was the 'Holy One of God." When in obedience to Christ's command, the spirit left the man, the people marveled, for such a thing had never been seen before. This miracle must have taught to those present that Christ was indeed a divine teacher for even the spirits of evil admitted it.

This power over spirits that afflicted humanity the Savior manifested on many occasions. One of the most remarkable spirit miracles is recorded in Mark 5:1-20 (which read). Across the lake of Galilee was a man who was terribly possessed of spirits. When Jesus appeared these spirits were afraid, and pleaded with Jesus, that if cast out, they might be allowed to enter the bodies of some swine that were feeding near by. This petition was granted with the result that the frightened swine were drowned in the lake. In this case, also, the unclean spirits acknowledged the place of the Savior as the Son of God. The most striking lesson taught by this miracle is perhaps the almost uncontrollable desire of the spirits for bodies, which harmonizes with the doctrine regarding the purpose of man’s coming upon earth.

A fine lesson in the power of faith and prayer was taught in the healing of the lunatic boy (read Mark 9: 14-29). The apostles had been unable to heal a boy whose mind was afflicted. When the Savior had accomplished the miracle he explained that such work can be done only by fasting and prayer. It was at this time that he told his followers that if they had faith "as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you"(a).

Several of these spirit miracles show how utterly useless it is to convert men by miracles alone.  The Pharisees and other persecutors of Jesus saw many of the miracles that he performed, but paid no heed to them, except to charge that they were done by the power of the devil. However, the miracles frequently resulted in discussions that confounded the Pharisees. For instance, on an occasion when the Savior had cast out an evil spirit from a boy who was dumb and blind, the Pharisees declared that it was done by the power of Beelzebub. This led Jesus to ask them if they thought that the devil would cast out his own, and if a kingdom divided against itself could stand.  This silenced the enemies of God for the time being(b).

To the human mind the greatest miracle that can be performed is the raising of the dead. No merely human agency has been able to return to life, even for a moment, a person who has passed the portal of death. Still as the history of the Savior is read it becomes evident that he, the Master, has the same power over death, that he has over living things. Death is only the separation of the eternal spirit from the mortal body; and, given the power to compel the spirit to return, the fact of the raising from the dead may be understood. 

The Savior did not perform this miracle of miracles very often; but whenever it was effected it caused a feeling, akin to consternation and fear, to pass over the people. Over many things, man may have power, but God only is the Master of death.

At the time that the Savior taught, many believed that there is no life hereafter, but that death is the final end of life. It seems that Jesus raised the dead to show that this doctrine was untrue. There is no more glorious doctrine in the Gospel of Christ than the knowledge that there is life hereafter, and that we shall inherit eternal life.

In the miracle of raising the dead daughter of Jairus (read Mark 5:22-24, 35-43), the Savior expressly declared that the girl slept, meaning no doubt, that the change that had come over her was not permanent, but would lead to an awakening. This he proved by recalling her immediately to a continuation of mortal life. The lesson in this miracle needs no reinforcement.

However, the few miracles of this nature seem mostly to have been caused by the overflowing love of the Savior for all mankind. The raising of the widow's son at Nain shows this. The widow was probably in poor circumstances. Her only son had died. The woman had no one but God to look to for earthly help. To human eyes it was an extremely sad case. To the clear vision of the Savior the pathos of the conditions was bared;and, filled with compassion, he returned the boy to his mother.

The raising of Lazarus was somewhat of the same nature(c).  The Savior loved Lazarus and his two sisters. The family had frequently cared for the Savior in the day of his trial. To the home of Martha and Mary the Master had often gone for earthly comfort.  Now the brother was dead; and the beloved sisters were anguished in their sorrow. Christ's love for all who suffered welled up and Lazarus was restored to life, to live until he was an old man. Though this was no doubt in part the motive of this miracle, yet there was, another motive of great importance to the cause of Christ. The raising of Lazarus was done as a great testimony to the might of Jesus.  Lazarus had been four days dead when Jesus called him forth from the grave. No other miracle performed by the Savior appears so mighty. The event occurred just before the crucifixion when great testimonies needed to be given to a wicked people. In fact, it did make a most remarkable impression upon the people who heard of it and the news was rapidly spread over the Holy Land. It was an unheard-of marvel, even among the miracles of the Man from Nazareth.

In this manner, the miracles maybe taken one by one and studied, and in all lessons of great truth may be discovered. Nothing that the Savior said or did is devoid of meaning to those who seek salvation. To the Master of the Universe, the miracles were simple expressions of his infinite power and knowledge; to us, they surpass understanding.

(a) Matt. 17: 20.
(b) Matt. 12: 22-28.

(c) John 11: 1-44.

Review and Questions

1. What constitutes man?

2. How many spirits followed Lucifer at the rebellion in Heaven?

3. What is the great punishment of the angels of the devil?

4. Why do evil spirits enter the bodies of men and animals?

5. What did the evil spirits usually say when the Savior came near them?

6. Relate the miracle of permitting the spirits to enter the swine. What lesson can you draw from this miracle?

7. Relate the miracle of the healing of the lunatic boy. What is the great lesson of the miracle?

8. How do the miracles of Jesus show that men are not necessarily converted by miracles alone?

9. What is the greatest kind of miracle?

10. What did the miracles of raising the dead teach?

11. What is the most glorious doctrine contained in the Gospel of Christ?

12. Relate the story of the raising of the daughter of Jairus. What is its lesson?

13. Relate the story of the raising of the widow's son at Nain. What is its lesson?

14. Why do you think Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead?

The Young Woman’s Journal, Vol. 17, No. 10, Oct 1906, Pgs. 468-470

Guide Department

THE TEACHINGS OF THE SAVIOR.

LESSON XI.

For third meeting in February.

REVIEW OF LESSONS V-IX.

One half of the miracles performed by the Savior deal with the healing of the physical ailments of the human body.  On at least two occasions the Savior healed persons afflicted with the terrible scourge of leprosy.  It is interesting; to note that the Savior, who did not desire His followers to build their testimonies upon miracles often avoided performing them; but when His suffering brethren came to Him with petitions, His sympathy over came Him and the miracles were performed.  In the healing of the lepers, it is also interesting to note that of ten lepers who were healed, only one came back to follow Christ.    Something more than miracles is required to establish in the hearts of men a testimony of the gospel.

Five of the healing miracles made the blind to see, the deaf to hear, the dumb to speak.  In these miracles great faith was shown by those who were healed, and it would appear that great faith is always irresistible.  The Savior never refused it.   

Each of the healing miracles taught a lesson in itself, though in the great majority of cases the value of great faith was the most important lesson taught.  The discussions that usually followed the performance of a miracle enabled the Savior to expound many important principles pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

Most of the healing miracles were performed upon persons who were in the vicinity of the Savior.   In some cases, however, people who were far away from the Savior were touched by His healing influence.  In this way Jesus showed that His powers were not limited to the necessity of contact with the object to be acted upon.  God uses die natural forces as His servants, and He is able to transmit His will from world to world, if it be necessary.

Not only did the Savior perform miracles of healing the body, but diseases of the mind were frequently overcome by His divine power.   The devil and his angels are bodiless, which is a part of their punishment for their rebellion in Heaven.  In their great desire to possess mortal bodies, they frequently enter into the bodies of men and women to the serious injury of the person.  At times they will enter even the bodies of lower animals.  Many cases of individuals possessed by evil spirits, came under the notice of the Savior, and He frequently had occasion to cast out evil spirits.  As a remarkable testimony of the truth of the claim of Jesus that He was the son of God is the oft repeated statement of the Gospels that the evil spirits recognized Jesus, and openly confessed that they knew Him to be the Son of God.  The casting out of devils led to many fine testimonies of the truth of the work that Jesus was establishing.  However, the Pharisees, and other persecutors of Jesus, who saw many of the miracles performed, paid no heed to them, except to charge that they were done by the power of the devil.  The discussions that resulted from the performance of the miracles, however, frequently confounded the enemies of Jesus.

To the human mind, the greatest miracle that can be performed is the raising of the dead.  No human agency has been able to return to life, even for a moment, a person who has passed the portal of death.  The Savior, however, had the power to perform this miracle of miracles.  Not often did He raise the dead; but on a few occasions He compelled the spirit to return to the mortal body from which it had departed.  These most wonderful miracles resulted, generally, from the overflowing love of Jesus for His fellowmen.  In the presence of sorrow and suffering, His compassion rose uppermost, and He was impelled to give His divine aid to those who were tried.  The raising of the dead man Lazarus, was one of the last miracles performed by the Savior; and as it was performed just before the week of His trial and execution, it had much to do with awakening in the hearts of His old enemies their fear and hatred of Him.

One by one, the miracles of the Savior may be studied; and in each one, lessons of great truth may be discovered.  To the Master of the universe, the miracles were simply expressions of His infinite power and knowledge—to us, they surpass understanding.

Among the methods of teaching employed by the Savior, that of parables is most attractive to most people.  A parable is usually a wholly imaginary story which teaches some important truth.  However, the parable always deals with events and situations that are possible, and probably do occur in actual life.  In that respect the parable differs from the fable, in which the lower animals are frequently given the power to speak and think; and from the myth, which is often a fanciful story in which gods and demigods are made to appear and disappear.  In one sense, a parable is a perfectly true story, since it is one that may happen.

It may be noted that the parables told by the Savior, justify story telling as a legitimate manner of conveying information.  The Savior taught largely in parables because the people with whom He labored were not in a position to understand the simple statement of the gospel truth.  The story interested them and they were led to think about the moral that it contained, and in that manner many became conscious of the great truths that the Savior desired to impress upon them.  Moreover, it
required more intellectual effort to get the truth out of a parable than to accept it simply and directly stated ; that which is given for nothing is seldom greatly appreciated.

The parables fall into three great classes: first those that deal with the general principles of the plan of salvation and the Kingdom of Heaven: second, those that deal almost wholly with the charity of God towards His sinful children; and third, those that deal with the great judgments that will be measured out to those who fail to keep the word of God.

The parable of the Sower teaches that the gospel is like a seed, in that it flourishes best where the soil is in the proper condition: that is to say when the gospel is taught to a man with a heart undesirous of receiving God's word, the gospel will not take hold upon that man to change him for the better.    It is important that we all prepare ourselves to receive the gospel message.

The parable of the Tares teaches that all kinds of people are gathered into the church of Christ frequently the good and the bad seem so nearly alike that it is difficult to distinguish them.  In time, however, when they begin to show their faith by their works, a distinction appears.  The parable further teaches, that the tares in the Kingdom of God are not to be removed until seed time comes, because mistakes may be made, and they are to be given a chance to produce seed if it is in them.  A Christian life must be led in a heartfelt manner.  The counterfeit follower of Christ will, at last, be destroyed.

The parable of the Drag Net teaches practically the same moral.  The gospel is for all men, but not all men accept it as they should.  All is well with the gospel.  It is the business of man to see to it that all is well with himself.

The parable of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl teach that a possession of the Kingdom of God is above earthly price, and that he who disposes of all he possesses to acquire a right in God's Kingdom, makes no mistake.  A person is justified in sacrificing his all for the gospel's sake.

The lesson taught in the parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven is one that gives great joy to every Christian.  When Jesus spoke, it was under the persecution and contempt of His people, yet He declared, that as a mustard seed grows to a large herb, and the leaven influences many measures of flour, so His message would touch all mankind.  This has been fulfilled literally in the years since Christianity was first established.   So.  we may feel today that the truth of God as taught by Joseph Smith, will ultimately triumph.   Similarly in the life of an individual, the gospel will leaven the whole man, until he changes in spiritual strength beyond the recognition of his own strength.

A somewhat similar moral is taught in the parable of the Blade, the Ear, and the Full Corn.  As in the life of a plant there is gradual and steady growth, leading to the production of seed, so there will be a similar growth in the life of any individual" who enters the Kingdom of God and partakes of its power.   Moreover, the Lord watches over the growth.  If we do our simple duly we shall grow in spite of ourselves.

REVIEW AND QUESTIONS.

1.  How many of the miracles deal with the healing of physical ailments?

2.  In many cases, what was the reason why (lie Savior performed miracles?

3.  Why are not miracles sufficient to establish a testimony of the truth of thegospel ?

4.  In what way are the miracles lessons in faith?

5.  What was nearly always an incidental but important- result of the miracles?

6.  Why do evil spirits enter the bodies of men and animals?

7.  What did the evil spirits testify concerning Jesus?

8.  How did the Pharisees receive the miracles?

9.  What were the greatest miracles of the Savior?

10.  What appears to have been the leading motive of the Savior in raising the dead?

11.  What is the most attractive method of teaching employed by the Savior?

12.  What is a parable?

13.  How does a parable differ from a myth?    From a fable?

14.  Why did the Savior teach in parables?

15.  Into what great classes do the parables fall?

16.  What is the moral of the parable of the Sower?  The Tares?  The Hidden Treasure?  The Pearl of Great Price and the Mustard Seed?

The Young Woman’s Journal, Vol.  18, No.  1, January 1907

Depression is a disease of the spirit, not the body.

Edited by Jojo Bags

Public service announcement: There are people here, and everywhere, who hold ignorant prejudice against anyone with mental illness and anyone who tries to help them. Consider the source when you hear the opinions of these people. 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Public service announcement: There are people here, and everywhere, who hold ignorant prejudice against anyone with mental illness and anyone who tries to help them. Consider the source when you hear the opinions of these people. 

I apologize @Eowyn. I have nothing but endless compassion for those who struggle with any form of mental illness. In fact, I have a major pet peeve when people with no medical training play doctor and tell the rest of us that it's anything less than a medical condition. 

I'm completely fine. I feel healthy and whole in a way I haven't for years. I do worry about those looking for guidance and help, especially those desperate for any sort of hope or compassion that will keep them going. People like me who do all the "right" things for years and years and wonder what is so wrong with them that prayer isn't fixing it. Narrow minds who think that only their view of an answer is really an answer do infinitely more harm than good, so I will continue to follow them around here and make sure that passers-by who are in pain know that they shouldn't listen to that crap. 

Edited by Eowyn