Cultural Marxism in Mormonism

wenglund

42 minutes ago, wenglund said:

You can tell just how upside-down the world has become when morality, liberty, critical thinking, patriotism, and responsible behavior become the counter culture.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Not in the Mormon Church.  Those are still the establishment position of the Mormon Church and I don't think that will change.

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Not in the Mormon Church.  Those are still the establishment position of the Mormon Church and I don't think that will change.

Exactly. And that is one more indication to me of the verity of the church (in the world but not of the world). And, while the wheat will be separated from the chaff even within the church, Zion will stand as a light upon the hill and draw the pure in heart to it and out of the PC and cultural Marxist fog. The iron rod and strait and narrow path will continue to lead through the mist of darkness to the tree of life, where those not made ashamed by the mockery coming from the great and spacious building, will continue to feast upon the fruit. (see Elder Bednar's conference talk), 

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Well, their creation of inroads explain how we got the new Temple films or the new First Vision Video.

I would also include the change in dialogue which led to the release of the historically accurate, if not accurate to Church History articles on LDS history that have been posted over the past few years.

Edited by JohnsonJones

22 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Well, their creation of inroads explain how we got the new Temple films or the new First Vision Video.

I would also include the change in dialogue which led to the release of the historically accurate, if not accurate to Church History articles on LDS history that have been posted over the past few years.

There are Mormon SJW's and there are pro-Mormon-culture-anti-Mormon-teaching folks.  Those 2 groups jocky for the loudest microphones but they're not the same groups.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

There are Mormon SJW's and there are pro-Mormon-culture-anti-Mormon-teaching folks.  Those 2 groups jocky for the loudest microphones but they're not the same groups.

The pro-Mormon-culture-anti-Mormon-teaching folks confuse me the most. It's the same with parenting.  The Mormon culture and mormon teaching go hand-in-hand.  If you want the culture then you have to teach the teaching.  Just like, if you want to have children who are respectful like they were back in the 50s, you have to teach your children like they did back in the 50s.  

When the teaching goes away, the culture will go away-culture is downstream of teaching.

12 hours ago, yjacket said:

The pro-Mormon-culture-anti-Mormon-teaching folks confuse me the most. It's the same with parenting.  The Mormon culture and mormon teaching go hand-in-hand.  If you want the culture then you have to teach the teaching.  Just like, if you want to have children who are respectful like they were back in the 50s, you have to teach your children like they did back in the 50s.  

When the teaching goes away, the culture will go away-culture is downstream of teaching.

I don't think these people are really thinking straight.  I think they're wanting the bake-my-cake-and-eat-it-too where they don't want anything to do with the responsibilities/covenants of Church membership but they want all the blessings of Church membership.  Or something like that.  It's like a kind of schizophrenia or something.

Edited by anatess2

21 hours ago, wenglund said:

There is a new video published by the Mormon Counter Narrative on Cultural Marxism in the Mormon church. What do you think?

And by "Mormon Counter Narrative", you mean "a random young college girl who has made two youtube videos", right?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a good video.  Always nice to see members standing up for good things and fighting the good fight, and making relevant points in the public marketplace of ideas.   I hope she got a good grade in whatever class she did this for, and I hope she keeps making videos.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 3/15/2017 at 8:56 AM, NeuroTypical said:

And by "Mormon Counter Narrative", you mean "a random young college girl who has made two youtube videos", right?  

I don't know about "random," but the young college girl is one voice that is fast expanding to many within a larger counter-culture movement commonly, though not always accurately, referred to as the Alt-Right. (Warning: Bad Language)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On 3/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, JohnsonJones said:

You seriously think those changes came in response to cultural Marxism (as opposed to divine inspiration/revelation in response to  genuine and prayerful desires to better serve God's kingdom)?

I suppose it is possible. Sometimes the squeaky wheels get the grease.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

5 hours ago, wenglund said:

You seriously think those changes came in response to cultural Marxism (as opposed to divine inspiration/revelation in response to  genuine and prayerful desires to better serve God's kingdom)?

I suppose it is possible. Sometimes the squeaky wheels get the grease.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I don't know what caused some of those changes.  I'm not saying it's Cultural Marxism, merely that it could be one explanation of it.

The New First vision video is an example.  It decreases emphasis on the reason Joseph Smith has traditionally gone to the grove to pray and instead places a new line of emphasis that he goes because he has been sinning and wants to repent but does not know which method is the correct method to repent.  That isn't inaccurate, but a strange demphasis on the reasons given officially for many decades with a different emphasis on Joseph Smith having sinned and needing to repent.  This differs in regards to the official account (or more like the account Joseph Smith and later prophets accounted as the official story even if other tellings of it existed prior to that).  Why would they do that?

(For those curious, the official account that's been held for decades by the church and endorsed by it is found here....as well as at the end of the Pearl of Great Price.)

Joseph Smith History

Perhaps the same reason they've written several of the Church History articles.  Many of them go counter to what's been written in the volumes of Church History as well as statements of apostles and prophets in prior conferences.  From that viewpoint it is puzzling.  HOWEVER, historically speaking, they ARE more accurate in regards to church history.  Instead of taking LDS church leaders at their word and the idea that they are honest about it, a historian tries NEVER to just get one account or something from a single side.  They try to get several points of view, including those who were opposed to those individuals.  Hence, much of the information apparently used in those essays also come from the historically accurate method of gaining insight from the enemies of the church's writings as well as many different sources.  From a historian's perspective, this offers more of a balanced view of the situation than simply accepting that one side has the correct point of view.  In regards to the LDS church though...Why would we do this?

Accurate from a world's point of view, but not necessarily going in the same line as the LDS scriptures, D&C, or the church history, so it puzzles me.

Temple stuff is another matter, and so I won't go into that as those things are considered holy, and I'm not going to discuss them in that detail outside of the Temple.

I would imagine everything is done for a purpose, and there is probably some divine reason that someone feels inspired to do this, but I am in the dark as to the why.

If it were done to appeal to the younger generation, it doesn't appear to really be accomplishing that, and if it were made to appeal to the enemies of the church, it seems that it's done more to encourage them than anything else.

So, I have no explanations on it.  If it is because of inroads of Cultural Marxism, as I said, that could explain it.  It could be something entirely different as well.  It obviously is NOT for me, and that is probably why I don't know why it's been done and who it is applicable for.

Edited by JohnsonJones