Phoenix310

I'm not a Mormon

Recommended Posts

Welcome, and thank you for your post @Phoenix310!  I admire you for choosing to learn for yourself rather than go the easier routes of accepting or ignoring. :)   I believe that approach ("Without any judgement, I gave my desires to learn the truth.") will be valuable for you (and anyone) in every aspect of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay...okay...I admit it. I spread negativity about LDS all the time. 

"Hey, PC, what do you think about those LDS folks."

"Well, they can be really nice. However, don't ever ask them for a cup of coffee. They look at your funny, and when you tell them that yes, you really want some, they bring you this stuff called Postum.

So, maybe that's not unforgiveable.  But...yuck, yikes, and ugh!    :nosign:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Okay...okay...I admit it. I spread negativity about LDS all the time. 

"Hey, PC, what do you think about those LDS folks."

"Well, they can be really nice. However, don't ever ask them for a cup of coffee. They look at your funny, and when you tell them that yes, you really want some, they bring you this stuff called Postum.

So, maybe that's not unforgiveable.  But...yuck, yikes, and ugh!    :nosign:

Hey!  Don't dis the Postum, man!  It's yuuuummmmmyyy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zil said:

Hey!  Don't dis the Postum, man!  It's yuuuummmmmyyy!

My dad loves Postum and would often try to convince us kids to drink it with him. We finally found a way to make it palatable: add equal or greater amounts of hot chocolate mix along with the Postum powder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

My dad loves Postum and would often try to convince us kids to drink it with him. We finally found a way to make it palatable: add equal or greater amounts of hot chocolate mix along with the Postum powder.

:yuck: Gaaa. Ick.  Sugar fine (that's what I do).  Milk or cream, fine (do this sometimes, a little).  But chocolate + Postum? Yick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although my dad drank coffee and my maternal grandmother drank Postum, I never liked the taste nor the aroma of either. On Winter evenings I often enjoy a little hot chocolate with my marshmallow creme, but I can't seem to conjure any desire for a hot drink on a typical morning. I'll take a cold glass of juice :) nearly every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, zil said:

:yuck: Gaaa. Ick.  Sugar fine (that's what I do).  Milk or cream, fine (do this sometimes, a little).  But chocolate + Postum? Yick!

I think we ended up adding so much chocolate the Postum taste was not particularly noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to being baptized I considered myself an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac.. I stayed up nights wondering if there really was a Dog. 

Im not Pioneer stock from Utah, Im northern european old world colonial stock from the sixteen hundreds.

I didn't go to BYU. I didn't serve a mission when I was young. I don't have a big family. I have never been to Temple Square during Christmas.

Im a convert that didn't really need to convert FROM anything to get here, am Im less a convert than saint, or less a saint than convert. Im imperfect.

I have a testimony of Christ Jesus as the savior and redeemer of man, faith in his atoning sacrifice, his resurrection and his return.

I go to Church. I serve others in a calling. I support my leaders.  I strive to keep all my covenants and His commandments at all times in all things... 

I believe Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, seer and revelator. 

Im not "Mormon" either.. Mormon was.. I am a lost sheep.. who found his flock.. or.. did the flock find me..

 

Edited by HelamansArmy
too many typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Phoenix310

In general I have found individuals of devote religious devotion to be “good” people.   However, there is, among many of religious stripe, ideological undercurrents that are contrary to the very foundation of what they think they believe.  Usually these ideological undercurrents foster unfounded hatred towards others they consider rivals to their beliefs. 

One very interesting person I met in my travels was a Satan worshiper.  I say interesting because this individual made no effort to “hide” any elements of what most of us would say is the dark side of his faith.  For example, this person did not try to deny or hide their pride – but openly embraced that emotion pronouncing such as desirable.   What was interesting about this person was that they never criticized or put anyone else down.  His attitude towards others was quite refreshing and consistent.

During the time of Jesus there was a people that were “generally” unacceptable to almost all the Jews.  They were called the Samaritans.  The very foundation of the Jews was based in the love of the “true” G-d of heaven and earth and yet the enmity towards the Samaritans was used to make excuse to destroy the very G-d they thought to worship.   This is proof again that it is impossible to hate any other person and still love the G-d that created them.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Usually these ideological undercurrents foster unfounded hatred towards others they consider rivals to their beliefs. 

This sentence reminded me of a girl I knew when I was in elementary school. She was RLDS (what is now Community of Christ) and I had somehow gotten it into my head that because they split off from us, we should hate all RLDS people. But this girl was always friendly to me. She shared her cool stuff, and made up a cool nickname for me, and I couldn't bring myself to be anything but nice back. I was actually pretty conflicted about the situation for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 9:03 PM, Phoenix310 said:

No, I'm not a Mormon but I will defend thier faith when I hear lies and insults others say. Why? Cause I have learned the truth about Mormons and the LDS Church and I will not accept anything but the truth.

Mormons are good people and always welcome in my life and home.

I am LDS, and I try to do the same for other religions, including Muslims. This, to me, is the way of Christ.

As a fellow defender of faith for decades, and a strong supporter of the free and open marketplace of ideas, i have found that the "anti's" who  bash whatever belief systems, tend to lash out because they are insecure and lack faith and confidence in their own beliefs. They seem to have a need to bring others down to their level.  I feel for them, and wish they could find peace.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wenglund said:

I am LDS, and I try to do the same for other religions, including Muslims. This, to me, is the way of Christ.

As a fellow defender of faith for decades, and a strong supporter of the free and open marketplace of ideas, i have found that the "anti's" who  bash whatever belief systems, tend to lash out because they are insecure and lack faith and confidence in their own beliefs. They seem to have a need to bring others down to their level.  I feel for them, and wish they could find peace.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

 

As a side note – one pet peeve I have is someone criticizing others for their beliefs when they do not seem to even have a clue what they believe.   And yet, especially on the internet, I find myself in stiches of laughter when someone finds it necessary to argue with me by telling me what I believe and then refuse to consider that I might per chance be a better expert at what I believe than them.

 

The Traveler   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now