Something I noticed about the 4 conference sessions

4 hours ago, zil said:

Maybe you could convince "them" that this is a mandatory prerequisite for all leadership positions in the church. ;)  A simple little addition to handbook 2.

That could be a problem in singles wards.

Back to the original topic, I feel I should say that having grown up in a culture where respect, fairness, equality, and sameness are sometimes seen as pretty much the same things, it can be easy to slip into that way of thinking. I've found myself sometimes feeling something is wrong based on what the world would say while intellectually not believing it is at all. I never have had that happen to me in regards to women's equality, but it has occurred to me before that the small proportion of female to male speakers could appear problematic.

On 4/3/2017 at 4:00 PM, MormonGator said:

lol. I think the one thing men and women of all stripes can agree on is they don't like being told how "they" are supposed to think or feel. 

I don't know... I sure did love singing "I hope they call me on a mission" and "I'd love to see the temple" in primary ;) 

Well, I'm SOOOO offended that they didn't have any Korean speakers this conference.  Oh, wait. They did. (BTW, loved his talk).

Well... I'm SOOO offended that they don't have MORE Korean speakers or that they don't have Korean speakers EVERY conference...

And when are they going to call a Korean apostle?  Why aren't Koreans worthy enough to be called as a prophet?  What's up with that?

Or, I'm SOOO offended that they didn't have more female speakers either because I'm all about the women power and all that.  We should call the ACLU.

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Well, I'm SOOOO offended that they didn't have any Korean speakers this conference.  Oh, wait. They did. (BTW, loved his talk).

Well... I'm SOOO offended that they don't have MORE Korean speakers or that they don't have Korean speakers EVERY conference...

Or, I'm SOOO offended that they didn't have more female speakers either because I'm all about the women power and all that.  We should call the ACLU.

They didn't have any North Korean speakers, though.

7 hours ago, Fether said:

I don't know... I sure did love singing "I hope they call me on a mission" and "I'd love to see the temple" in primary ;) 

But I bet you've never sung " You Hope They Call You On A Mission" or "You Love To See The Temple".

Edited by Eowyn

4 hours ago, Eowyn said:

But I bet you've never sung " You Hope They Call You On A Mission" or "You Love To See The Temple".

True ;) but as a missionary they sure did tell us what we felt "As a missionary you desire the salvation of souls (see Mosiah 28:3)" (PMG pg. 195). Even had scriptural proof that we felt that way x)

On 4/3/2017 at 6:02 PM, Zarahemla said:

I think the problem is that there's only 9 female leaders in the church so you don't have much to work with in the first place. Maybe we need more female leadership in the church. I have several female relatives who by their facebook posts were hurt by only 1 female speaker.

Identity politics invokes a lot of counterproductive emotions. If your female relatives are feeling hurt, it is because they lack correct understanding of the gospel of Christ and are ascribing to the false gospel of identity politics.

I noticed that I didn't speak in any of the sessions of Conference. I might feel hurt if I expected the Church to conform to my image rather than me conform to the image of him upon whose name we take..

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, wenglund said:

Identity politics invokes a lot of counterproductive emotions. If your female relatives are feeling hurt, it is because they lack correct understanding of the gospel of Christ and are ascribing to the false gospel of identity politics.

Or, because they are human and have these things called "emotions". I'm not saying I agree with them, but we can't just say it's because they lack correct understanding or are ascribing to a false gospel. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Or, because they are human and have these things called "emotions". I'm not saying I agree with them, but we can't just say it's because they lack correct understanding or are ascribing to a false gospel. 

If someone who is not being picked on thinks they're being picked on and so they feel bad about it, what better solution than for them to learn that they aren't being picked on? I'm not suggesting a "how" to help them learn this. But wouldn't the lack of correct understanding be the exact primary key as to the "why" they feel bad in these cases?

Just now, MormonGator said:

That would make sense if "emotions" occurred randomly and mindlessly and without cause.  That may be the case with you, but I doubt that is the case with most humans. Certainly it isn't the case with the women in question because the emotional "trigger" was identified. They felt bad because not enough women spoke during each session of conference. That wouldn't have been an emotional trigger unless the gender identities of the speakers was meaningful to them. That meaning was derived from somewhere, and it certainly isn't the gospel of Christ.

Thanks, -Wade Englund- . 

If anyone is wondering whether identity politics is at odds with the gospel of Christ, read Galatians 3:28 (see also Colossians 3:11 ) The sex of the speaker at Conference should be entirely irrelevant. The same is true of race and national origin.  

If these things cause hurt, it is because the disease of  social Marxism has infected the heart, and needs to be rooted out (repent) to prevent spreading to and "killing" the entire body.  

In contrast, the gospel is about joy. A healthy gospel body will be fed and nourished and uplifted and made happy by the inspiring talks at Conference. 

Choose ye this day...

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

22 hours ago, MormonGator said:

The problem is this gives us pretty much no response to them. What am I supposed to say? Unless I agree with them, I am wrong. Even just expressing sympathy goes nowhere.

So their feelings are hurt. So now the Church is wrong or at least needs some major gc policy upheaval?

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, Backroads said:

The problem is this gives us pretty much no response to them. What am I supposed to say? Unless I agree with them, I am wrong. Even just expressing sympathy goes nowhere.

So their feelings are hurt. So now the Church is wrong or at least needs some major gc policy upheaval?

Like I said, I'm not saying I agree with them, but to accuse them as lacking understanding or ascribing to a false gospel (which I know you aren't doing @Backroads) is a little extreme. Time for a little Netflix and chill. 

Edited by MormonGator