Failed prophets

Zaq33

Ever wonder what happens to those foreordained that come to earth to find they were unworthy and/or did not fulfill their calling?

Something similar would be Joseph Smith being destroyed if he neglected the plates. Destroyed?

Maybe the atonement would 'cover' them?

8 hours ago, Zaq33 said:

Ever wonder what happens to those foreordained that come to earth to find they were unworthy and/or did not fulfill their calling?

Something similar would be Joseph Smith being destroyed if he neglected the plates. Destroyed?

Are you implying that maybe those foreordained cannot lose their salvation? Because that is not accurate.

The closest examples that come to my mind are:

Saul, who became Paul in the NT. He did not have to repent after his vision of the Savior. If he does not repent, he probably doesn't get much more than a mention in the NT. Clearly the Savior's atonement covered his sins.

Alma the younger: similar experience to St. Paul's. Alma 36 provides some of the inner turmoil and joy he felt at having his sins taken from him.

The account of an unnamed prophet recorded in 1 Kings 13 suggests what happens when a prophet is unrepentant, though this story is problematic for me -- especially because of what the JST adds suggested that the prophet who led him astray was instructed by God to tempt him.

When all is said and done, I believe Chirst's atonement covers all but the sin against the Holy Ghost, and I am not sure exactly what that sin entails or how that sin applies to prophets.There are lots of examples of prophets repenting and being acceptable to God in the scriptures, so I am guessing that prophets can make mistakes and repent of those mistakes just like the rest of us.

Sidney Rigdon was a member of the First Presidency of the church who apostatized after Joseph Smith was martyred.  That would put him in the category of fallen prophet.  He failed his mission/responsibilities by apostatizing, became unworthy, and started his own church.   Joseph Smith said of him:

"Brother Sidney is a man whom I love, but he is not capable of that pure and steadfast love for those who are his benefactors that should characterize a President of the Church of Christ. This, with some other little things, such as selfishness and independence of mind…are his faults. But notwithstanding these things, he is a very great and good man; a man of great power of words, and can gain the friendship of his hearers very quickly. He is a man whom God will uphold, if he will continue faithful to his calling" (HC 1:443).

He did not continue faithful, God will not uphold him.  If he had repented, the atonement of Jesus Christ would apply, however, God cannot save his children in their sins.

Edited by person0
correction

44 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

There's a difference? 

By failed prophet, I interpreted the OP to mean something like, 'one who was fore-ordained, but never received the calling in the first place since they chose an unrighteous course', based on the OP statement of, ". . . those foreordained that come to earth to find they were unworthy . . .".  I had never previously heard the term 'failed prophet' and only heard the term fallen prophet, so in my mind there was a distinction.

I have made the correction.

Edited by person0

3 minutes ago, person0 said:

By failed prophet, I interpreted the OP to mean something like, 'one who was fore-ordained, but never received the calling in the first place since they chose an unrighteous course', based on the OP statement of, ". . . those foreordained that come to earth to find they were unworthy . . .".  I had never previously heard the term 'failed prophet' and only heard the term fallen prophet, so in my mind there was a distinction.

I see.

19 hours ago, Zaq33 said:

The atonement does cover them. Were such to fall to sych depths as to reject god for all time and eternity, the atonement still saves them from physical death if little else. Generally the wicked abide in self destructive behavior.. Altho generally not instantly self destructive.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:28 PM, Zaq33 said:

In part, I believe we have Mormon history that sheds a similar light to this thought. Joseph Smith protected the plates (the gold plates); however, translated plates he did not protect in totality. We have 116 pages of scripture that are lost to us (at this moment). If my memory suits me, I believe Joseph Smith said something to the point of being damned and feared for his soul upon loosing these plates. After exercising his faith to much repentance he once again received favor from God to move forward.

Destroyed, reminds me of the verse of scripture explaining us to be more concerned with the individual who can destroy the soul, not just the body.