Happy Birthday Jesus!

person0

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Correlation applies to lesson manuals, handbooks, missionary presentations, and such. I could be wrong, of course, but I have never heard any suggestion that General Conference talks are "correlated".

I think it's relatively routine for usually-minor tweaks to be made to the printed versions of conference talks.  About twenty years back, one seventy even went so far as to re-record his delivery of his talk in order to revise some theologically difficult passages.

Of course, such an organic and ongoing editing process is often represented as a case of the nefarious, anonymous Correlation Committee demanding and getting complete subjugation from even the highest echelons of Church leadership.  

The Correlation Committee, thus represented, morphs into Mormonism's answer to the Illuminati.

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I suppose it depends on what you mean correlated.  There sometimes is a general theme or idea given for talks, sometimes there is no idea given.  However, almost all the talks are written and then "turned in" prior to the conference.  I imagine there are people who read through them.

Here's something that one friend of mine did not realize before the conference.  When up on the stand, many of those talks are actually being read.  If you look closely, there are these little panes of glass on stands in front of the podium.  These are see through on the audiences side, but have the text of the talk on the speakers side. This is so they don't constantly look down at their talk written on paper.  It also keeps them able to look out at the audience as they read their talk.  It also enables those who are doing close captioning or translating to try to keep up (well, that's a guess on my part, I imagine that since they have the text they use it to try to keep up, but not sure on that part).

Now, there is an occasional time that the speaker may not follow what they've read, or using what they read just to jog their memory, at which point if closed captioning is going on, or translating and they actually go off the text rather than what the speaker is saying...it can show a little different than what came out.

Some speakers are pretty smart people.  I don't think some of them actually use the written talk as much as others, for example, I think Bednar is pretty good at memorization or at least knowing his talks, typically. 

Anyways, as per being "correlated" as in their is a General Conference correlation meeting to address who says what and how it is said...I don't think there is one of those, exactly.

There has been an occasion in the past when the one conducting has mentioned how well all the talks came together as if it were correlated, but in that instance they are referring to how miraculous and guided by the spirit those giving talks were as there was no direct correlation to that effect, thus any correlation in that manner was due to guidance of the spirit.

My thoughts on it at least.

Fwiw, I worked with a guy who did general conference translations.  They received most of the talks a week before. There always seemed to be a straggler who didn't turn in their talk until the day before. He would translate the written talks beforehand, as preparation.  During conference he would listen (audio only, no video) and translate as the person was speaking.  

When somone would ad lib, it would make it difficult to keep up.  He said one time that he could not keep up, and just summarized a whole block of speaking as "all is well!".

8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

But the more important question is:  What fountain pen and what type of invitation paper would be used to send out invitations to His birthday party?

Well, if we're going to have to print a gazillion of them with machines, then clearly we won't be using a fountain pen.  But if we were gonna do them by hand, we could do worse than get this lady to write them (I recommend watching at 2x, unless you're trying to follow along):

Her pen is a Pilot Falcon (it's made to flex and give line variation like that, most fountain pens are not).  I have the red one, in resin (cheaper than the metal version).  I can't do anything like what she's doing.

1 hour ago, zil said:

Well, if we're going to have to print a gazillion of them with machines, then clearly we won't be using a fountain pen.  But if we were gonna do them by hand, we could do worse than get this lady to write them (I recommend watching at 2x, unless you're trying to follow along):

Her pen is a Pilot Falcon (it's made to flex and give line variation like that, most fountain pens are not).  I have the red one, in resin (cheaper than the metal version).  I can't do anything like what she's doing.

That was pretty amazing.  For the last minute and a half I was thinking,"she forgot to cross the last 'T' ." But then.... DENIED!!!

• 11 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 2:11 PM, person0 said:

If you do not believe it is on April 6th, what do you believe would be the special significance of that date as to why Joseph Smith was commanded to organize the Church that day?

Because some people keep putting stuff off if not given specific deadlines.

5 hours ago, person0 said:

It's that time of year again!  :D

If it isn't the date of His birth, then try explaining why my Princes, my Angel baby was born on the same day.  Huh?!?  HUH!?!?  You can't.  So, there!

I don't really care.

20 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Because some people keep putting stuff off if not given specific deadlines.

That's a good reason.  I like that.

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I don't really care.

You don't care about your own daughter's birthday!
Image result for flabbergasted meme

Shame on you, Sir!

On 4/7/2017 at 6:46 PM, Blueskye2 said:

Fwiw, I worked with a guy who did general conference translations.  They received most of the talks a week before. There always seemed to be a straggler who didn't turn in their talk until the day before. He would translate the written talks beforehand, as preparation.  During conference he would listen (audio only, no video) and translate as the person was speaking.  

When somone would ad lib, it would make it difficult to keep up.  He said one time that he could not keep up, and just summarized a whole block of speaking as "all is well!".

Unless translating for live closed captions, why not just give it a second listening afterward, when he can pause and rewind as needed?  I know it takes them up to a few hours to post the video and audio to the website, but I'd think they could have it to people performing official GC functions like transcripts and translations within minutes of each talk ending, and certainly within minutes after the session.  (Assuming the breaks between talks, music etc. are edited into the continuous video afterward, rather than recording to two (or four, if one wants immediate access to audio-only files) separate devices, one splitting after each talk, hymn or prayer, and the other running through the whole session.)

Well, it was another birthday for my Father-in-Law. 

Every time I think I'm old...I remember her family.  They seem extraordinarily LOOOOOOOONG lived.  It also tells me I have no chance to outlive my wife.  She'll outlive me for sure if she lives as long as her side of the family seems to live.  Centurions seem to be the Norm rather than the exception!!!!

It was funny though.  It's bad when your own kids start having problems remembering birth days.  I told her today...shouldn't you call your father.  She asked me...What for?  I said...just go call him.  She was perplexed and couldn't figure out why I said she should call him.  Finally I told her it was his birthday and she went and called him.   

On 4/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, zil said:

Hmm.  Do we really celebrate his "birthday", or do we celebrate his "birth"?  I think there's a difference, and the latter is more important.

There is a difference. There shouldn't be. Technically birthday celebration IS a celebration of a birth. But....it doesn't always get applied that way for sure.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:51 PM, Maureen said:

That's why it was a wild guess, but my understanding of correlation is so that the LDS Church remains unified in its doctrines and policies within all organizations of the Church.

Correlation is a unifying process in which each organization of the Church subordinates limited views to the good of the whole Church. It is not censorship in the sense of inhibiting or channeling free expression and creativity. Rather, it is the way the Church ensures suitable and effective use of its resources.

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Correlation_of_the_Church_Administration

M.

Yes...based on the teachings of the prophets and apostles though.