"Why are temples so expensive?"

Zaq33

13 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I always thought the true, complete saying was:  Build a fire for someone and you will warm them for an evening.  Light a person on fire and you will warm them for the rest of their life.

Certainly worked for witches burned at the stake. :eek:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Traveler said:

I always thought the true, complete saying was:  Build a fire for someone and you will warm them for an evening.  Light a person on fire and you will warm them for the rest of their life.

The Traveler

I've never heard that one.  Sounds like it says the opposite of what we say in regards to the other one.  If you light someone on fire, won't the rest of their life be like a few minutes unless they stop, drop, and roll?

10 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I've never heard that one.  Sounds like it says the opposite of what we say in regards to the other one.  If you light someone on fire, won't the rest of their life be like a few minutes unless they stop, drop, and roll?

i've seen it a few times on facebook. it is a bit facetious and poking at the "give a man a fish...." saying.

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Surely I'm not the only one who can see the figurative meaning of lighting someone on fire?  (In addition to the darkly humorous literal meaning?)

No, just you.  (kidding).

53 minutes ago, zil said:

Surely I'm not the only one who can see the figurative meaning of lighting someone on fire?  (In addition to the darkly humorous literal meaning?)

For the record – I love things that can be taken or have meaning in more than one way.  I love scripture and the temple because I find new meaning every time I read scripture or attend the temple.   And I am very disappointed with those that when a new idea is presented to them concerning a scripture – that they say “NO! the scripture does not say that.” And they close their eyes and see not and they shut their ears and hear not and they harden their hearts that they feel nothing but resentment for those that would add line upon line upon line and precept upon precept upon precept to their understanding.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler