Recently I have had a great urge to become a mormon. I am currently a Lutheran, but have decided that I'm infatuated with the beliefs of Mormonism. I really want to become a Mormon, but the problem is I have 3 small tattoos, so I don't know if I would be accepted in the church or if people would judge me for it. The tattoos are small I have: one on the side of my finger, one on the side of my palm, and one on my ankle. They are all small tattoos, and I regret getting them, for now I realize my body is a temple. I would remove the tattoos but it's too costly and may cause scarring. So I guess I'm asking if I join the church will I be looked upon differently for my past mistakes?

Welcome, @Nicky123!  Your tattoos are not a problem.  You do not need to have them removed to join the Church, stay in the Church, attend the temple, or serve in callings. :)  Glad you signed up.  I look forward to your posts here.  Lots of folks come here looking for more information about the Church.

Guest MormonGator

I have thirteen tattoos and no one has said anything. Like you, I was concerned as well when I joined the church but no one has said anything.  I've gone to conventions and gotten more since I've joined the church too. I do not regret any of them. No one cares. 

One of the many really cool things about 95% of LDS is that they are incredibly tolerant and accepting even of things they might not personally approve of. They are almost always so polite that they won't bring it up unless you ask. 

Edited by MormonGator

11 hours ago, Nicky123 said:

Recently I have had a great urge to become a mormon. I am currently a Lutheran, but have decided that I'm infatuated with the beliefs of Mormonism. I really want to become a Mormon, but the problem is I have 3 small tattoos, so I don't know if I would be accepted in the church or if people would judge me for it. The tattoos are small I have: one on the side of my finger, one on the side of my palm, and one on my ankle. They are all small tattoos, and I regret getting them, for now I realize my body is a temple. I would remove the tattoos but it's too costly and may cause scarring. So I guess I'm asking if I join the church will I be looked upon differently for my past mistakes?

I have met dozens of tattooed Mormons, including one of my old counselors to the bishop, several mission companions, an uncle-in-law, and many friends.  And apparently @MormonGator as well! :) 

In the case of the old counselor, his tattoos were not small... they were more like up and down every space of his arms, like that one guy in 311, or Maui from Moana.  Members in my old ward loved him because he was a kind, charitable man.  I don't think anyone cared that he had tattoos.

So tattoos are not exactly uncommon in the Church, and I don't think any good Mormon would care at all if you had a few, or even many.

I wouldn't even bother with the tattoo removal stuff - sounds painful, and none of my Mormon friends have gone that route.

Edited by DoctorLemon

On 4/9/2017 at 1:39 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

There's a young LDS mother who apparently had quite the life before her conversion and has tattoos up and down both arms.  She has a blog and maybe even a book--Google "tattooed Mormon" and I think you will find her.

Or google Al Fox Carraway.  She wrote a book title The  Tattooed Mormon.  I know her personally and she is awesome.

Guest LiterateParakeet
10 minutes ago, pam said:

Or google Al Fox Carraway.  She wrote a book title The  Tattooed Mormon.  I know her personally and she is awesome.

I was thinking about her too, but couldn't remember her name. 

On 4/9/2017 at 9:22 AM, MormonGator said:

I have thirteen tattoos and no one has said anything. Like you, I was concerned as well when I joined the church but no one has said anything.  I've gone to conventions and gotten more since I've joined the church too. I do not regret any of them. No one cares. 

One of the many really cool things about 95% of LDS is that they are incredibly tolerant and accepting even of things they might not personally approve of. They are almost always so polite that they won't bring it up unless you ask. 

Thanks that is so reassuring! 

On 4/9/2017 at 0:42 PM, DoctorLemon said:

I have met dozens of tattooed Mormons, including one of my old counselors to the bishop, several mission companions, an uncle-in-law, and many friends.  And apparently @MormonGator as well! :) 

In the case of the old counselor, his tattoos were not small... they were more like up and down every space of his arms, like that one guy in 311, or Maui from Moana.  Members in my old ward loved him because he was a kind, charitable man.  I don't think anyone cared that he had tattoos.

So tattoos are not exactly uncommon in the Church, and I don't think any good Mormon would care at all if you had a few, or even many.

I wouldn't even bother with the tattoo removal stuff - sounds painful, and none of my Mormon friends have gone that route.

Thanks for your input that is very nice to know! I'm glad to know I won't be judged for my tattoos. Yeah I think tattoo removal would be very painful. 

On 4/9/2017 at 3:39 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

There's a young LDS mother who apparently had quite the life before her conversion and has tattoos up and down both arms.  She has a blog and maybe even a book--Google "tattooed Mormon" and I think you will find her.

Thanks for telling me about her, I googled her and she's inspiring. 

On April 8, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Nicky123 said:

Nope. Past doesnt really matter. And learning from our mistakes and choosing to do better in the future is part of repentance and coming unto christ.

Glad to have ya with us :)

Edited by Blackmarch

Guest MormonGator
12 hours ago, Nicky123 said:

Thanks that is so reassuring! 

You are very welcome. 

12 hours ago, Nicky123 said:

Yeah I think tattoo removal would be very painful. 

From what I've heard it's horrific. Hurts WAY more than getting the actual tattoo did in the first place. My personal, subjective view is that tattoo removal/laser is immoral. You wanted the tattoo, you got it. You should be forced to live with it or else you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. 

On 4/9/2017 at 8:22 AM, MormonGator said:

Well... now that you're asking... :D

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

lol. This coming from the dude who has a teardrop under his eye. 

That's a flame, thank you very much.  But we won't get into my orientation issues.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

I'm and convert, and I have four tattoos, all quite colorful and moderately sized. In most modest clothing, you can only see the two owls I have on my feet. But the members of the two wards I've been in have always been aware of all four and have at some point been able to see them. No one has ever made a rude comment to me. In fact, I get compliments on my owls since they're so colorful. 99% of the members I know wouldn't tattoo themselves, but they've never been anything less than warm and kind towards me, even with my multicolored designs.

Edited by bunnibee
Adding that I'm also a convert who was tattoo'd "prior"