I agree with everyones post. I got a big one done around my shoulder when I was 18 but you cant see it if I wear a t-shirt.

I find it rather interesting that as society grows and gets accustomed to trends our church slowly follows. I remember growing up in the 80's and tattoos were bad because it was usually something prisoners and gangs would have, now days its common because its looked at as art rather then gang affiliation.

5 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

I find it rather interesting that as society grows and gets accustomed to trends our church slowly follows. 

I certainly hope not - Just heard Elder Oaks speak last Sunday saying that tats are "still graffiti on your personal temple".

Edited by my two cents

5 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

I find it rather interesting that as society grows and gets accustomed to trends our church slowly follows.

IMO, there's a difference between church membership being accepting of others (especially converts and returning less/inactives), and the Church teachings on the topic.  I have seen no change at all in the latter.

5 hours ago, zil said:

IMO, there's a difference between church membership being accepting of others (especially converts and returning less/inactives), and the Church teachings on the topic.  I have seen no change at all in the latter.

A certain point of view.  We teach eternal principles.  But the application of those principles may change over time and with society.

We teach chastity and modest dress.  But what is "modest dress"?  There was a time if a woman showed her clavicle or above her ankle, it was immodest.  Today, a little collarbone, or possible some knee is considered the limit.

So, the principle remains.  But the application tends to be about 12 years behind society.  This was a statistic from a Sunday School teacher long ago who did not share the source of his statistic.  But it seems reasonable.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

A certain point of view.  We teach eternal principles.  But the application of those principles may change over time and with society.

We teach chastity and modest dress.  But what is "modest dress"?  There was a time if a woman showed her clavicle or above her ankle, it was immodest.  Today, a little collarbone, or possible some knee is considered the limit.

So, the principle remains.  But the application tends to be about 12 years behind society.  This was a statistic from a Sunday School teacher long ago who did not share the source of his statistic.  But it seems reasonable.

+1

- Another example is facial hair, Professional athletes started a trend to wear full beards about 5 years ago and then you started seeing alot of beards at church. The youth boys also have these funky haircuts, when I was a youth you couldnt pass sacrament if your hair was out of the ordinary. I also see a lot more tattos on BYU football players.

- In the music industry you have mormon artists crossing over into hiphop, ie; James the Mormon (rapper) https://www.youtube.com/user/Jamesbrandtcurran

- Lindsey Sterling a well known Mormon violinist collaborating with pentatonix of whom two of those members are gay, back in the 80s/90s the general membership would cringe over things like this.

Like Zil says, its nice to see the culture of church membership being accepting of others instead of labeling everyone who is not on the straight and narrow a sinner.

Edited by priesthoodpower

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dudes, really, love and peace.

Simply put, Canadians are WAY more laid back, accepting and tolerant of differences than people in the states are. I say that as someone who (obviously) lives in the states. 

13 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

- Lindsey Sterling a well known Mormon violinist collaborating with pentatonix of whom two of those members are gay, back in the 80s/90s the general membership would cringe over things like this.

I'd like to see a real life example of anyone in the 80s or 90s who refused to work with someone on a professional level simply because they were gay.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'd like to see a real life example of anyone in the 80s or 90s who refused to work with someone on a professional level simply because they were gay.

Exactly.  If anyone did that in the 90's, they'd find themselves cleaning out their desk and driving to the unemployment office very quickly. In the real world when you are getting paid to do something, you can't really pick and choose who you do business with. Sometimes you need to associate with people whose lifestyles you might not agree with. 

Edited by MormonGator

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

If anyone did that in the 90's, they'd find themselves cleaning out their desk and driving to the unemployment office very quickly. In the real world you can't really pick and choose who you do business with. Sometimes you need to associate with people whose lifestyles you might not agree with. 

I agree, as someone who works with people from all walks of life we need to be "accepting" (others may disagree) if we want to get along in civilized society.  

I do know that attitudes about homosexuality were much different in the 80's and 90's than they are now.  Not many were "OUT" because of the social non acceptance.  

• 1 month later...

I would never ever shun anyone who had tattoos, mormon or not. I said this in response to a different post, but I think it will work here too: LDS people are very excepting. They may not agree with your decisions, but they are good at respecting and excepting them.

Almost all of my non-mormon family has at least one tattoo. My dad and aunt have full sleeves. I know personally I would never judge for that. I think that Heavenly Father and Jesus love you no matter what, and they want you to come to the right church and try to make the right decisions now. Because no matter what, the past is in the past, and it is never to late to start over.

I would never ever shun anyone who had tattoos, mormon or not. I said this in response to a different post, but I think it will work here too: LDS people are very excepting. They may not agree with your decisions, but they are good at respecting and excepting them.

Almost all of my non-mormon family has at least one tattoo. My dad and aunt have full sleeves. I know personally I would never judge for that. I think that Heavenly Father and Jesus love you no matter what, and they want you to come to the right church and try to make the right decisions now. Because no matter what, the past is in the past, and it is never to late to start over.

Edited by RooTheMormon
Also with everyone agruing, I think that we should pray to Heavenly Father to help us decide what is right and what is wrong. No one should EVER let society decide that for them.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:05 PM, priesthoodpower said:

instead of labeling everyone who is not on the straight and narrow a sinner.

Good thing I only say that about people not on the strait and narrow. :P

Edited by Guest