Linux Anyone?

Mike

It's more than that. Cannonical is trying to trim down and become a profitable company. They are making money in the cloud, and by not developing their own desktop environment and going with upstream gnome-shell they can focus on what makes them money.

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:13 AM, Mike said:

If anyone uses (not as a developer) Linux Ubuntu, Mint, or other distributions I'm interested in first-hand testimonials. 

I use unix and linux products everyday. But I work and live in the technical (mostly software) world. For everyday use, I stick with unix based OS. By far the easiest and best UI. I also use Ubuntu, but I don't recommend that to a novice user. If you are familiar with KDE and terminal commands, you'll love it. So I guess I would ask, what's your use case? What are you trying to do? Just sick of Windows?

For what it's worth, I avoid microsoft products like the plague. Though I'm always using the when I deploy VM's. 

On 4/10/2017 at 0:13 PM, Mike said:

If anyone uses (not as a developer) Linux Ubuntu, Mint, or other distributions I'm interested in first-hand testimonials. 

Sounds like you're asking about a personal desktop environment. 

I've ran Ubuntu for 10+ years in enterprise server environments, almost all of the instances were apache servers (LAMP). Some with very heavy traffic. No problems, and I really like ubuntu.

Hardware matters (seriously). And Ubuntu is super configurable, which is very useful if you know what you're doing. Will get you in trouble if you don't.  I recommend having an understanding of computing concepts and what each configuration change is actually doing. For this reason, I never recommend Linux as a home desktop for anyone who just needs to load-and-go.

Keep it patched is the main mantra.  Some of the super bad security issues out there target Linux distros.