What's your calling in your ward?

8 hours ago, mirkwood said:

@zil  were you released with the boundary changes?

Only in my dreams.  (Oops, did I say that out loud?  Isn't that guaranteed to extend the duration of my sentence?)  The bishop's house is kitty-corner from my back yard - if I opened the windows, he'd hear my music blasting - only the weirdest boundary change ever would get me into a different ward. :)

(NOTE: I'm joking.  My calling is as good as any other calling, just not suited to my personality, which is, I'm sure, part of the point - lessons to learn.)

11 hours ago, Palerider said:

Not a current Bishop but former .....most recently released from High Council and now serving as High Priest Group Leader.  Enjoy that calling ....and I'm a home teacher. 

Once a bishop, always a bishop.  We need some stake people here give you keys to be mormonhub's bishop.

Edited by anatess2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Sunday School President.  My first question was to ask if I got to dictate the curriculum.

Heavy course load on prepping and gun control (defined as being able to hit the target) am I right?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Heavy course load on prepping and gun control (defined as being able to hit the target) am I right?

lol

Actually I wanted to make sure that certain lessons which contain references to government and the Constitution actually taught those principles instead of glossing over them.

3 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Actually I wanted to make sure that certain lessons which contain references to government and the Constitution actually taught those principles instead of glossing over them.

You're just one of those American Fanatics.  I get it.  You never hear me say anything like that.:ph34r:

YW President

Fun fact: in my first ten years with adult callings, I lived in four units (3 wards, one branch) and was RS Secretary four times. I'm pretty sure the only reason I didn't get called to it in the ward I was in for only nine months is because when the bishop asked me in the hall if I was okay accepting a calling, I joked, "As long as it's not RS Secretary. That's pretty much the only calling I've had since being in college." Realized a few weeks into being there that they didn't have one, and it took two months to call me as a ward missionary. My sister, who got married to her Marine in April, graduated high school in May, moved in with me 600 miles from home in June, and turned 18 in July, was just called as the RSS.

Edited by seashmore

I thought to talk a little about a calling I was recently released from.  First, I would note that there is a difference between being uncomfortable with a calling and a calling being hard or difficult as opposed to challenging or even awkward for particular personality types.   My calling was nursery leader.  This was a very unusual challenge for me because I approached the calling much like every other calling.  I read everything I could – asked lots of question and planned to “master” the calling.  Part of my problem with the transition was that everybody that was serving was released and myself and 3 other brethren took over with no experience and no help.

Nothing planned worked.  2 and 3-year-old kids are natures proof of entropy.   After the first week one brother quit coming to church and I never saw him again – and he would not answer phone calls from me.   Being the intellectual that I am it did not take very long to figure out something was wrong and not much was working.  I would like to say that I got on my knees and was filled with the spirit and the problem was solved but it did not work like that.  I decided after 2 months of kids and adults hating the nursery that I would take a different approach – rather than try to do anything spiritual or have any spiritual experience – we would concentrate on having fun.  If an activity was not fun, we would not do it.  I discovered that little kids do not like to sit and sing – they like to dance around as they sing.  I did discover that if I videoed them singing and dancing that they would sit – sometimes for 10 minutes watching the video of themselves singing and dancing.  It is not the what is fun is unstructured - it actually takes a lot a structure and planning to have 2 hours of fun.

My primary goal was that every kid would look forward to coming to church on Sunday and would look forward to nursery and would not want to leave.  One very shy little girl when she first came would cling to her mother and cry if any of the other kids even looked at her.  The mother was even more of a problem – she complained that the nursery was not spiritual enough.  I told her she could have as much time and as often as she wanted to present a lesson.  That seemed to make her more unhappy with me.  After a couple of months her little girl would come with smiles and cry when the mother came to take her home.  I found it interesting that most of the feedback I received was that the nursery was too much fun.

One little tradition – was a handshake greeting that each kid got from me when they came – I am not the hugging type.  It has been a year since my release but the kids of the nursery still like to greet me at sacrament meeting with our handshake greeting.

Jesus once said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me – for such is the kingdom of heaven”.  I use to think that Jesus meant that little children are the essence of what is in heaven – having served in the nursery I think Jesus is misunderstood.  I now believe he was not referring to the children but rather to himself and the attitude of loving and caring for little kids – that is what is the essence of heaven – much more than discussing doctrine (which is what most come to church to do).  I think the calling of nursery leader has had more of an impact on me and my heart than any other calling.

The Traveler