Family history software

pam

I will have to admit that I haven't dabbled in family history for several years now.  So what is the best software or what do you use for family history.  

My mom passed away 12 days ago and we have been really busy trying to clean out her condo.  I hit the mother lode.  A huge sea chest completely full of family history.  In addition to boxes and boxes and boxes of family photos.  Even information on my dad's side that I didn't even know existed since my dad was the only member of the Church on his side.  But he was very heavily into family history research until Alzheimers took over a few years ago and he too passed away.

Now I need to start inputting this information into some kind of a program.  I'm not sure I'm ready to put it in Family Search as I want to make sure the information is correct before someone else takes it as fact.

HELP!!  Where in the heck do I even start?  And what's the best program to use that won't be obsolete a year from now?

First off, my condolences.  

As far as what to use and where to start - I have no idea so ask several of the temple & fam history consultants in your area (several because I've learned that some really know their stuff and others don't).  Maybe someone else will chime in but someone local would be able to be more hands on.