Crisis of Faith - Dear John Letters

5 minutes ago, Armin said:

Sorry Jamie321, but I'm out of the age where some comics could cheer me up. Let there be an England forever, but leave me alone with that thing called English humour...  <_<

What was that you said, young man?

7Ta6yLMEc.jpg

Edited by Jamie123

4 hours ago, Rabindranath said:

The same cannot be said of you - especially the user with a raspberry blowing CareBear for the profile image, or the lightsaber wielding avatar user - I can't be bothered to look up her/his name, jumping down his throat and immediately assuming the worst about the man. How you see the world is a reflection of yourself. You first saw LostBoy as an "evil" person, with malicious intent. I wonder: what does that say about you? Perhaps you project yourself upon him, and your antagonism proves this to be true: you are a malicious person, Miss CareBear Lady. You, Dark Jedi, are an inciter of conflict and a desirer of discord. The two of you are not espousing the Doctrine, but rather spouting off based on pure hubris and self aggrandization. You will have your reward in the end. Those like you will have no part in the millennium, for those who have even a modicum of hatred within them, where you have mounds of, and loads of judgment within you, cannot live in a perfect world. Go join Lucifer, for he craves those like you in his ranks, and perhaps you will be more at home there anyway.

Ooh OOH -- Do me next!!

24 minutes ago, Armin said:

Hmm... surely not because they can fly away, because they can't... so why not? I mean, penguins are slowly, can't fly, so what's the secret...? :confused: ... Maybe because penguins live in the Antarctica and polar bears not...? Or because penguins look like English gentlemen wearing tails...? I don't know.

Total nonsense...it's because they can't get the wrappers off!

penguin-400.jpg

6 hours ago, Rabindranath said:

How ironic is it that so many of the contributors to this thread condone a significant other leaving dishonestly with not a care in the world for repercussions of the other party,

I didn't see anybody here condone leaving dishonestly.  We acknowledged that a person has the right to leave a relationship anytime before marriage they want, for whatever reason they want, but they should do so honestly and not mislead or two-time somebody in the process.  They may be making a mistake, but it is their right to make that mistake.  And just because the dumped person feels really bad doesn't obligate them to stay when they don't want to. If you have to stay in a relationship because of how the other person would take a break up than you don't get to choose who you marry, you could have to marry somebody because it would be so hard on them to be rejected.  Do you want to give other people that kind of power over your life, do you want to be a hostage to somebody elses emotions?

If somebody breaks up with you, your reaction is your choice and your responsibility.  That's life.

6 hours ago, Rabindranath said:

Which ideal do you people believe?

Can I be one of the "you people"?  I mean, I have daughters who may need to break a heart or two in the next few years.  

The ideal to which I adhere, is the ideal that God built us such that we want to make long-term promises, before our long-term-promise-making-centers of our brains have finished maturing.  The ideal to which I adhere, is that I'll try to get this point across to my daughters: They may not want to bother promising their hearts to another in such situations, because even though every molecule of their being is screaming out that it's the right thing to do, they'll probably feel differently in a few months, or a week, or even after a good meal and a good night's sleep.  I mean, they'll probably ignore me, being zealously concluded of their own correctness, like most teenagers.  The ideal to which I adhere, is to love them and help them grow and mature.

That there is virtue in leaving a significant other at the slightest provocation?

Well, there is virtue in having a mature understanding of what a "significant other" is, and is not.  Actions have consequences, and important actions must be taken carefully.  But, dear offspring, it is your agency to change your mind.  Even if, dear offspring, you were totally convinced they were 'the one', I see you are not so convinced now.  It is your stewardship over your own life, that gives you the opportunity, the duty, to change your mind. 

That as long as you are not hurt, you may hurt a thousand in your path if it may even lead to the small hope of an eternal marriage?

Yeah, people in pain often see the worst in others.  When, dear offspring, someone accuses you of being heartless or careless of another's pain, try to forgive them.  They're speaking out of that pain. If they continue to press the issue with you to the point of making you uncomfortable, come tell me and mom, and we'll help you take care of it.  People need to learn how to deal with their own crap, instead of trying to dump it on you.  

Or do you believe that it in fact is 

very wrong to not discuss things like adults, and work out problems to their proper conclusion together - whether that be to the extension or termination of their romantic relationship?

The ideal to which I believe, is that people must endure their own pain.  Be gentle when possible. But do not let what is right suffer, because someone may experience the pain of hearing it. 

7 hours ago, Rabindranath said:

I know LostBoy is gone, but I have to say ...

If there is nothing more poisonous to the True Religion, nothing more toxic to the Mormon Doctrine, it is the Mormon Culture that has so pervaded the church, and it must be stamped out and desecrated in order for the Mormon Doctrine to function uninhibited, for the Culture is propagated by evil people, and the Doctrine by the good. The evidence being in this thread, if you wish to read it.

Don't beat around the bush.  Just tell us how you really feel.

Talk about a hit-and-run poster.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Rabindranath said:

If there is nothing more poisonous to the True Religion, nothing more toxic to the Mormon Doctrine, it is the Mormon Culture that has so pervaded the church, and it must be stamped out and desecrated in order for the Mormon Doctrine to function uninhibited,

Can we have a symbolic shredded carrots and hairspray burning when we do stamp it out?

On 5/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, Jamie123 said:

Also I want to hear no more nonsense about Dick Dastardly being the villain in "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop". That was Sylvester Sneekly, alias "The Hooded Claw". Dick Dastardly was never even in that show, and if (like my annoying brother) you "distinctly remember" that he was, then you "distinctly remember" wrong. You're probably getting muddled up with "The Wacky Races".

Here's another annoying thing people say:

"Hey remember Robby the Robot from Lost in Space"?

No I don't.

Because there WAS no "Robby the Robot" in Lost in Space!

This is Robby the Robot:

240px-Robbie_the_Robot_San_Diego_Comic_C

He was in the move Forbidden Planet.

(With Anne Francis, Leslie Neilson and Walter Pidgeon.)

(Great movie BTW!)

He was never EVER on Lost in Space.

Although...

...there was a robot in Lost in Space:

d2f22f4fa3977c693aa7fb6792043374.jpg

As you can see it is not the same robot.

And it was NOT called Robby.

Edited by Jamie123
Pedantry for its own sake: Forbidden Planet had no definite article

On 5/5/2017 at 6:08 AM, Rabindranath said:

I know LostBoy is gone, but I have to say I second much of what he has said. It behooves us all to respect our fellow man, and to do our best to be respectful to each other

First sentence is superb.

. If this was Quora,

That's a problem right there... if this was Quora it would suck.  Try Disqus if you have a question.

Not even the majority of sub-reddits have this level of antagonism -

The leftists finally managed to make Reddit a safe space?  Didn't know that... they've been trying to suppress r/The_Donald for over a year now and they still can't... so, I highly doubt the trolling has stopped on the subs.

He comes from a much higher moral ground than most of you. He, in principle, in cognizant of the feelings of those around him, and in principle, does not wish to cause anyone unnecessary pain. The same cannot be said of you - especially the user with a raspberry blowing CareBear for the profile image, or the lightsaber wielding avatar user - I can't be bothered to look up her/his name, jumping down his throat and immediately assuming the worst about the man.

How long have you been lurking on mormonhub?  "Most of you" is pretty judgmental yes?  Even on this thread.  This is actually one of the non-contentious ones.  Differences in opinion doesn't equal contention.  And if you spend even just a week here you will get to know the online personalities of people here like @estradling75 (the CareBear) and @The Folk Prophet (the lightsaber) who are two of our tell-it-like-it-is people around here.  Great morally upright and upstanding guys they are.  They just have a different style of communication than... say @MormonGator and @LiterateParakeet who are the "people person" types.  We can't all be sugar and spice and everything nice.  I suggest that before you pass judgment on these guys, you get to know them first.

You will have your reward in the end. Those like you will have no part in the millennium, for those who have even a modicum of hatred within them, where you have mounds of, and loads of judgment within you, cannot live in a perfect world. Go join Lucifer, for he craves those like you in his ranks, and perhaps you will be more at home there anyway.

This here is the most simple and perfect example of unrighteous judgment.  You're not just making a judgment on their character, you're making a judgment on their place in Christ's Kingdom... all from one thread on social media.  Be careful lest the judgment falls upon you.

If there is nothing more poisonous to the True Religion, nothing more toxic to the Mormon Doctrine, it is the Mormon Culture that has so pervaded the church, and it must be stamped out and desecrated in order for the Mormon Doctrine to function uninhibited, for the Culture is propagated by evil people, and the Doctrine by the good.

Another superb sentence.

The evidence being in this thread, if you wish to read it.

Ruined by the finale.

------------------------------

For @Lostboy289 (since you liked his post, I'm hoping you're still checking on this thread).  This is where you and the ones disagreeing with you have a gap in understanding.   @Rabindranath expressed the confusion in his statements here which is a misunderstanding of everyone's positions except yours:

How ironic is it that so many of the contributors to this thread condone a significant other leaving dishonestly with not a care in the world for repercussions of the other party, and yet when that same thing happens to LostBoy over the course of the thread, they cry foul to the girl who left him! If they were being consistent, they would applaud her, would they not? They would applaud her for not being an "object" or whatever garbage philosophy some have mingled incorrectly with the true religion. If nothing else, this thread has exposed the hypocrisy of Mormon Culture.

Okay, nobody in this thread - NOBODY - condoned or suggested that it is right to leave dishonestly or not have a care in the world for the repercussions.  Their holistic suggestion to the dilemma is not to commit to an engagement when one or both of them are not going to see each other for 2 years.  Especially when at that missionary age where one is still having a lot of maturing to do. 

If one does make that mistake of committing to such a tenuous relationship and realizes the mistake, it is wise for the engagement to be honestly and compassionately ended as soon as possible instead of having to wait for the missionary to return.  The people on this thread, therefore, believe that a Dear John letter when a personal discussion is not an option due to the rules of the mission is a more honest and compassionate declaration to end the relationship rather than to string the missionary along for the remainder of the mission.  A text message sent when a personal discussion is an option is a cruel and cowardly way to declare an end to the relationship.  In this, there is zero hypocrisy expressed in the thread at all.

The issue that was raised - of an engaged person cheating on another (whether it be emotional or physical cheating) while the other is away is an immoral thing to do.  Yes, they may not be under a marital covenant yet, but I still believe that an engagement has to be cleanly, honestly, and compassionately broken first before one of the parties decide to explore an emotional attachment to somebody else.  I do believe that an engaged person who is actively entertaining a relationship with somebody else is committing a sin.  No, it is not adultery as there is no covenant, but it is dishonesty.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Edited by anatess2

On 4/18/2017 at 10:24 AM, Lostboy289 said:

I know this is going to sound super silly, and to be honest I feel silly just writing it. But the more I try and brush it off, the more I keep getting really bothered by it. And that thing that I'm bothered by is the Mormon cultural acceptance of "Dear John" letters among missionaries.

Now I'm a convert, so I sadly never got a chance to serve a mission. But I had a similar experience in that I was suddenly dumped by my girlfriend (a committed Mormon with a flawless testimony) while serving far away in the military only a week before I was coming to see her, so she could be with another guy in her singles ward. I remember how absolutely destroyed I was. It still hurts just to think about it. And I was a member of  YSA ward when I lived in an area that had one, so I did have experience with seeing the fallout of these letters.

I remember one time there was a couple who seemed to be madly in love. Then the Brother went on a mission, during his going away talk announcing that he had proposed to his girlfriend and that as hard as his mission would be, he looked forward to having her to come back to. Two weeks later in sacrament meeting she was getting pretty cozy with another guy in front of everyone. I asked her how her fiancé was doing, and her response indicated that she clearly hadn't told him. Everyone in the ward talked about it as if it was this cute little gossip.

A month later this new couple was engaged. I wrote the Elder a letter a few weeks later asking how he was holding up. It wasn't good. Apparently he was on the verge of being sent home because he was barely able to hold it together. Twice he burst into tears in the middle of a lesson, wasn't getting along with his companion (who encouraged him to just get over it), and he hadn't been able to sleep or eat in awhile.  As everyone was celebrating and congratulating the new couple, all I could think about was this Elder, off dedicating his whole life to Heavenly Father, now on the receiving end of horrible cruelty by not only one of his best friends, but the woman who only weeks earlier pledged to spend eternity with him. Even though I never said anything to the couple, I declined the invitation to their wedding and left the room whenever people were congratulating them, as seeing what they did to a fellow Mormon Brother was just something I couldn't celebrate.

I just don't get why this behavior is not only acceptable, but such a widespread thing among youth?

The more I read about this, the more that I see that this is practically common. Brothers and Sisters often cheating on their signifigant other who is off serving a mission, often with that person's friends or even family (can you imagine spending the rest of your life with your ex as your sister in law, knowing your own brother betrayed you?). Frequently, the missionary doesn't even find out until their former gf/bf is engaged. Why would you even send an engagement announcement? Seems like rubbing salt in the wound.

One of the interview questions for a temple recommend is regarding your honesty in your dealings with your fellow man. What is honest about promising to wait for someone, only to abandon that promise the second something better comes along? How is that Christlike? How is destroying someone else because their happiness stands in the way of ours, only to build our new lives on the ruin of their old one, not the exact opposite of everything Jesus taught us? Not the exact opposite of every virtue we try to cultivate in ourselves and the standard we strive to achieve by being a member?

Now I understand there is a difference between hating the sinner and the sin, but even when someone is sinning we gently and lovingly let them know that what they are doing is wrong. Even having one alcoholic drink is enough to lose your temple recommend over. But cheating on your missionary boyfriend/girlfriend, or seducing your missionary friend's boyfriend girlfriend, is apparently not only completely honest and Christlike behavior, but a cause for celebration among that person's peers and religious leaders?

It honestly just makes me sick and depressed thinking about it, and more than anything else makes me question this church.

Hi there, I'm not LDS. I do live in Utah, which is very Mormon, culturally. I've seen many couples get engaged, pre-mission, and have seen many who get married 2-3 months after their return, and many men are dumped while gone. One in particular still stands out in my mind. A young woman and missionary, they chose not to get engaged before he left on a mission, but she made a commitment to support him and be there for him. They agreed, that she wasn't to be in a two year monasterial state of seclusion. That she might actually date, but she would be open with him about it and not hide anything. All in all, it was a healthy and even beautiful way to support a young man. She made a real effort to deepen her own spiritual life, and committed to supporting him by helping him to build his spiritual life and faith. They're relationship deepened, via letters, while he was gone, and when he returned they did marry. (Yay!)  ETA: I have this vague recollection that she was going by the advice of a book, on how to be the girlfriend of a serving missionary. But I could be wrong there. She also had the support of her mom, who was guiding her and helping her to be a support to his mission and not a distraction. 

I'm with you, in that, I find it hard to celebrate those who are deceiving someone who isn't there, and who is absolutely clueless. The man who is gone has placed a level of trust, on his betrothed and on his community. That trust gets broken, not all think it is ok, or oh-well-stuff-happens, as seen by your own post. I highly doubt you are the only one in your ward who feels the same way.

...broken up via text. Yikes. Reminds me of scene from a TV show where the break up happened via the guy leaving a post-it note. You should say to yourself, buh-bye and good riddance. There are better people in the world than that.

Edited by Blueskye2

On 5/5/2017 at 4:08 AM, Rabindranath said:

I know LostBoy is gone, but I have to say I second much of what he has said. It behooves us all to respect our fellow man, and to do our best to be respectful to each other 

Mormon Culture, let's remember, is not the Doctrine - and we would be better off if we cast Mormon Culture aside so we could live the Doctrine more fully. How ironic is it that so many of the contributors to this thread condone a significant other leaving dishonestly with not a care in the world for repercussions of the other party, and yet when that same thing happens to LostBoy over the course of the thread, they cry foul to the girl who left him! If they were being consistent, they would applaud her, would they not? They would applaud her for not being an "object" or whatever garbage philosophy some have mingled incorrectly with the true religion. If nothing else, this thread has exposed the hypocrisy of Mormon Culture.

Which ideal do you people believe? That there is virtue in leaving a significant other at the slightest provocation? That as long as you are not hurt, you may hurt a thousand in your path if it may even lead to the small hope of an eternal marriage? Or do you believe that it in fact is very wrong to not discuss things like adults, and work out problems to their proper conclusion together - whether that be to the extension or termination of their romantic relationship? It surprises me that there is more harshness, rudeness, and callousness on this thread than on many other sites. If this was Quora, many of your would be facing BNBR (Be Nice Be Respectful) violations. Not even the majority of sub-reddits have this level of antagonism - the type of attacking on this thread against LostBoy is uncalled for, especially as he confessed he was already losing faith in the membership of the church, and their dismissiveness of the feelings of others - and here you all are, ready to confirm that for him that it's true: they don't. It was as if a part of your own being was threatened that you had to lash out against him, and find fault with every word he said, not understanding that he comes from a different place.

He comes from a much higher moral ground than most of you. He, in principle, in cognizant of the feelings of those around him, and in principle, does not wish to cause anyone unnecessary pain. The same cannot be said of you - especially the user with a raspberry blowing CareBear for the profile image, or the lightsaber wielding avatar user - I can't be bothered to look up her/his name, jumping down his throat and immediately assuming the worst about the man. How you see the world is a reflection of yourself. You first saw LostBoy as an "evil" person, with malicious intent. I wonder: what does that say about you? Perhaps you project yourself upon him, and your antagonism proves this to be true: you are a malicious person, Miss CareBear Lady. You, Dark Jedi, are an inciter of conflict and a desirer of discord. The two of you are not espousing the Doctrine, but rather spouting off based on pure hubris and self aggrandization. You will have your reward in the end. Those like you will have no part in the millennium, for those who have even a modicum of hatred within them, where you have mounds of, and loads of judgment within you, cannot live in a perfect world. Go join Lucifer, for he craves those like you in his ranks, and perhaps you will be more at home there anyway.

If there is nothing more poisonous to the True Religion, nothing more toxic to the Mormon Doctrine, it is the Mormon Culture that has so pervaded the church, and it must be stamped out and desecrated in order for the Mormon Doctrine to function uninhibited, for the Culture is propagated by evil people, and the Doctrine by the good. The evidence being in this thread, if you wish to read it.

I always find it interesting when someone determines that the best way to quash antagonism is to be antagonistic.

How does your tirade against those who you couldn't even be bothered to "care" about enough to look up their names, make you any less of an inciter of conflict or a desirer of discord?

Tell me, if our reward for your perception of our "hatred" is as you say, then what would your reward be by the same virtue?

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

We can't all be sugar and spice and everything nice.

We "can". What cannot happen is that it would be perceived that way. I admit that I have been intentionally nasty sometimes. But most of the time when I get told how nasty I am I'm actually doing my best to be otherwise. The problem is, of course, that when you tell someone that walking out in traffic is dangerous and they are likely to get killed it often gets taken as nastiness.

In the case of this thread, for example, my perception is that the best advice from a caring perspective is the idea that you can't control others, you can only control yourself, and so forgive, forget, and move on. Apparently that makes me nasty a Dark Jedi who will have no part of "the millennium". I also think that blaming "Mormon culture" for the reality that people are weak and sinful only harms the person blaming "Mormon culture", and if that's the case, then the most caring approach is to help said people understand that it's not "Mormon culture" that's the problem, but human nature, and that the best response to human nature is to forgive, turn the other cheek, give them our second coat also, etc., as we've been commanded to do. This also has me perceived as filled with mounds of judgment and hate.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I suggest that before you pass judgment on these guys, you get to know them first.

I find that those who consider things in this manner do not change that view as they get to know me.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator

Mormon Culture, let's remember, is not the Doctrine - and we would be better off if we cast Mormon Culture aside so we could live the Doctrine more fully. How ironic is it that so many of the contributors to this thread condone a significant other leaving dishonestly with not a care in the world for repercussions of the other party, and yet when that same thing happens to LostBoy over the course of the thread, they cry foul to the girl who left him! If they were being consistent, they would applaud her, would they not? They would applaud her for not being an "object" or whatever garbage philosophy some have mingled incorrectly with the true religion. If nothing else, this thread has exposed the hypocrisy of Mormon Culture.

Which ideal do you people believe? That there is virtue in leaving a significant other at the slightest provocation? That as long as you are not hurt, you may hurt a thousand in your path if it may even lead to the small hope of an eternal marriage? Or do you believe that it in fact is very wrong to not discuss things like adults, and work out problems to their proper conclusion together - whether that be to the extension or termination of their romantic relationship? It surprises me that there is more harshness, rudeness, and callousness on this thread than on many other sites. If this was Quora, many of your would be facing BNBR (Be Nice Be Respectful) violations. Not even the majority of sub-reddits have this level of antagonism - the type of attacking on this thread against LostBoy is uncalled for, especially as he confessed he was already losing faith in the membership of the church, and their dismissiveness of the feelings of others - and here you all are, ready to confirm that for him that it's true: they don't. It was as if a part of your own being was threatened that you had to lash out against him, and find fault with every word he said, not understanding that he comes from a different place.

He comes from a much higher moral ground than most of you. He, in principle, in cognizant of the feelings of those around him, and in principle, does not wish to cause anyone unnecessary pain. The same cannot be said of you - especially the user with a raspberry blowing CareBear for the profile image, or the lightsaber wielding avatar user - I can't be bothered to look up her/his name, jumping down his throat and immediately assuming the worst about the man. How you see the world is a reflection of yourself. You first saw LostBoy as an "evil" person, with malicious intent. I wonder: what does that say about you? Perhaps you project yourself upon him, and your antagonism proves this to be true: you are a malicious person, Miss CareBear Lady. You, Dark Jedi, are an inciter of conflict and a desirer of discord. The two of you are not espousing the Doctrine, but rather spouting off based on pure hubris and self aggrandization. You will have your reward in the end. Those like you will have no part in the millennium, for those who have even a modicum of hatred within them, where you have mounds of, and loads of judgment within you, cannot live in a perfect world. Go join Lucifer, for he craves those like you in his ranks, and perhaps you will be more at home there anyway.

Dude, chill. 

On 5/5/2017 at 6:39 PM, Vort said:

Shameless ripoff of Snidely Whiplash:

It's a great shame that "whiplash" has become almost synonymous with "insurance fraud". So many fraudsters have claimed to have suffered from it after arranging fake road accidents.

My wife once actually suffered actual whiplash in an actual road accident. How much com-pen-say-shun do you think she got?

3 hours ago, Armin said:

What is "whiplash...?

Whiplash (noun) (i) a kind of neck injury, (ii) a mythical condition insurance fraudsters always claim to have after pre-organized "accidents", so they can screw money out of insurers and force everyone else's premiums up through the roof.

3 hours ago, Armin said:

Btw. dont you know that insurance companies always refuse to pay...?

Except to people with the second kind of "whiplash".

Edited by Jamie123

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, Armin said:

You're quoting a posting of about 50 lines, maybe in your eyes completely strange assertions, but your answer is only two words long. But maybe you're right and it's not worth to analyse it. I wont, but I won't even quote it in its full length.  ;)

"Brevity is the soul of wit."-Shakespeare 

Edited by MormonGator

• pam unfeatured this topic