Take Care

Traveler

I am going to be out of touch for a while.  For our wedding anniversary Mrs. Traveler and myself will be traveling to the Middle East (Israel) for a couple of weeks – This may be the last chance for a visit for a while.  I am posting this so no one will think I am not posting for any other reason silly reason.   I will leave @Vortand @The Folk Prophet in charge of keeping everybody open to non-trivial ideas.

The Traveler

On 4/21/2017 at 0:40 AM, Traveler said:

I am going to be out of touch for a while.  For our wedding anniversary Mrs. Traveler and myself will be traveling to the Middle East (Israel) for a couple of weeks – This may be the last chance for a visit for a while.  I am posting this so no one will think I am not posting for any other reason silly reason.   I will leave @Vortand @The Folk Prophet in charge of keeping everybody open to non-trivial ideas.

The Traveler

I hope you enjoy your trip!  I would love to visit Israel myself.  I have blood relatives living in Israel, and our religious views are different (muslim → mormon) :eek:. My legal name is also very obviously Arabic. As a result, I have a slightly greater reason to fear that something ridiculous/life-threatening would happen while I was there (especially since I support Israel = family no no).  So you guys have fun for me too!

Some of my family live close to the BYU Jerusalem Center so if you visit there and say hello to literally everyone you see, you might talk to them by chance.  ;)  But they will have no idea who person0 is. :D

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Traveler said:

The Traveler

I was in Israel exactly a  year ago.  Did you know that every hotel we stayed in had WiFi connectivity?  You're hardly going to the third world. 

In fact we expect daily reports of the sites visited, and the spiritual experiences you had.

Edited by mrmarklin

For clarification – the idea of classification of nations is a product of the cold war.  First world countries are the USA and its trading partners – those that share social/economic goals.  Second world countries are the Communist countries – sharing the same social/economical goals.  Third world nations are those countries that are considered natural or unaligned.  I believe by definition Israel is a “First World” nation.

Do not hold your breath waiting for daily reports – I will do well to get something to the forum upon my return.  A side note – this last weekend I took part in a wilderness (rock crawling) expedition following the eastern mountain ridges from St. George to the Grand Canyon following the pioneer root from Arizona settlements to the St. George temple.  I was spiritually moved but I am not sure such impressions to be something the forum would want me to share.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned with my wife from our journey to “The Holy Land”.  The experience was far beyond all my expectations.   I realize that not everyone needs such an experience but for me – I will never be the same.  I did not expect this to be spiritual but more intellectual – I was wrong.  It was not just places nor even the history.  Some of my spiritual awaking was from others of various religious persuasions – some from obvious flawed efforts to institutionalize “sacred things and places”.  The biggest revelation to me was to come face to face with things and realize that my personal interpretations and impressions were too dependent on my experiences and culture.

I am still the same person but it does seem there are some changes.  I have pondered how much I should share.  I am not sure I can express adequately but for the first time in my life; it would seem that there were many more “answers” than new questions that I could think up to ask.

The Traveler

18 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

looking forward to anything you do decide to share :) and welcome back!

Standing on a hillside overlooking Nazareth on one side and a stone quarry on the other (likely the place that the people of Nazareth attempted to stone Jesus) – I was impressed that traditionally we have misunderstood Jesus and his step father as carpenters.  This is not a good place to obtain wood for a professional carpenter.  A variant reading of scripture would identify Jesus and his step father as skilled workers and we assume (workers of wood) but Nazareth had no such employ anciently – more likely they were workers (labors) of stone.

It seemed to me – as I looked on Nazareth – that the symbolism of Jesus working with stone and construction arts of stone rather than wood – is a much better fit of who Jesus was. 

It was also interesting to me when visiting one possible sight in Bethlehem of the birth of Jesus, that the manger was made of stone rather than wood.  How much do we interpret and understand scripture based on what we want to think – rather than try to understand “truth” in its context.

The Traveler