I Hate My Patriarchal Blessing

And, for the record:

I consider my patriarchal blessing to be one of the great blessings of my teen-age life, and an increasing blessing as I age. Many would consider it generic, but I find it contains tremendous wisdom and insight. I find my sons' blessings the same, though at least one of them doesn't agree with that assessment.

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

One of my sons is among those "many people". I don't think he needs a therapy group of people crying about how disappointing their patriarchal blessings are to them. I believe he would agree with that assessment.

"Wow! Your patriarchal blessing sucked? Mine, too! The Church must be true!" said no one, ever.

Ok.  That's a decent point.

16 hours ago, Carborendum said:

His final conclusion was that he received exactly what he needed to receive.  I believe his initial "hatred" of the blessing was merely a reflection of what he actually felt at the time he received it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and will believe that he was expressing it because many actually are quite disappointed at the scant content of the blessing.  Remember, this article isn't really meant for many who were very satisfied with their blessing (scant or not).  It was written to those others who were disappointed (scant or not).  So, let him show some empathy to draw them in, and carry them through to acceptance, which he finally did.

You know, that's a reasonable take, and certainly more charitable than mine.

20 hours ago, zil said:

If that's required, I guess I should give up now.

No kidding.  First thing I learned about this Church is if you show up on time, you're early, which means you're going to miss the first part of whatever you came for because you got stuck rearranging chairs.  Put me in the "just in time for blessing the food" resurrection.

On 2017-04-23 at 6:45 PM, zil said:

If that's required, I guess I should give up now.

Don't even think this! We are counting on you to hold the door open for the rest of us!

Also...while you are there...maybe you could scope out a back door by which we could let @MormonGator and @mirkwood in? They would have to walled off from the rest of us naturally. We could sneak them snacks! 

Edited by Sunday21

40 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Don't even think this! We are counting on you to hold the door open for the rest of us!

:lol:

40 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Also...while you are there...maybe you could scope out a back door by which we could let @MormonGator and @mirkwood in? They would have to walled off from the rest of us naturally. We could sneak them snacks! 

:crackup:

I thought that the article was terrible, people get to worked up over their patriarchal blessings. 98% of the stuff is boiler plate that is in all patriarchal blessings with MAYBE a few extra nuggets thrown in. If you have read one you have read most.

Yes some patriarchs like to wax poetic but it's nothing to get worked up over or disappointed about.

14 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

If you have read one you have read most.

I take it you haven't read many.  I've read about a couple dozen or so.  Granted, only a drop in the bucket compared to the population at large, but sufficient to say the statement above is cynical at best and incorrect at worst.  Yes, there is the boiler plate stuff.  Yes, they are very similar.  But the "MAYBE a few extra nuggets..." concept greatly diminishes what is somewhat prevalent.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I take it you haven't read many.  I've read about a couple dozen or so.  Granted, only a drop in the bucket compared to the population at large, but sufficient to say the statement above is cynical at best and incorrect at worst.  Yes, there is the boiler plate stuff.  Yes, they are very similar.  But the "MAYBE a few extra nuggets..." concept greatly diminishes what is somewhat prevalent.

My statement is not cynical or incorrect it is correct. You also state most is boiler plate stuff and I quote "Yes, they are very similar"

I do not doubt that individuals blessings are special to them and that many blessings contain information that is important to that individual.  If people would keep private things private then we would never even have to discuss this.

2 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

My statement is not cynical or incorrect it is correct. You also state most is boiler plate stuff and I quote "Yes, they are very similar"

That wasn't the part I was calling incorrect, now, was it?  But I find it interesting that you turn a blind eye to the part that I did disagree with and claim victory simply because I offered a partial agreement.

45 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

That wasn't the part I was calling incorrect, now, was it?  But I find it interesting that you turn a blind eye to the part that I did disagree with and claim victory simply because I offered a partial agreement.

Nice of you to exclude the second part of my statement. Since you didn't include it and only want to pick on a portion of what I have stated here it is

"I do not doubt that individuals blessings are special to them and that many blessings contain information that is important to that individual.  If people would keep private things private then we would never even have to discuss this."