Garments and Fashion

MarElise

Hi everyone, i'm new here and am hoping you can help me with a question! I am a mid-20's woman who has been endowed for just over three years now. I try my hardest to only wear clothes that are modest and respect the garment, even if they are hard to find at times. I also care quite a bit about looking nice in my clothes and being fashionable. I have lived in dry dry Utah for my entire life, and just recently moved the very humid southern US in the past few months. As the spring goes on and starts to become summer, it's getting much more hot and humid, and so I wanted to find some new things that would work well in the summer without any layering besides garments+ bra. 

One of the shirts I picked up is made of very lightweight fabric, and I was worried it might be a bit see through without a cap sleeve, which would defeat the point of me owning it right now, as I don't want to layer. It's dark blue, and in the mirror I could faintly see that there is a white t-shirt thing (my garments) underneath. I asked my husband for his opinion, and went outside in bright sunshine and did the "bend forwards like tying my shoe" to stretch the back of the shirt to see if he could see through it, and also asked if he could tell that my bra was on top of the garments through the shirt (a style that I try to rock, but still feel would look really weird if people could see it, because lets be real, who wears their bra on top of the undershirt outside of the the LDS church right?) My husband reported that he could see through the shirt and also that all the lines of the garment+ bra combo helped emphasize it. We tried several combos (with the bra, without the bra) and he reported that without the bra he could still see exactly where the garments were but that it just sort of looked like a strangely shaped undershirt. After getting all sad that I might have to return the shirt, I made the discovery that this was the case with pretty much EVERY shirt that I own, just me nor him had ever paid much attention. Even standard, thickish t-shirts from target- you can tell that there is another shirt underneath, and when bending over the lines of the bra give away that the bra is on top. The new shirt isn't even the worst offender, I had other shirts I've worn for years that are the same amount or even a little more. Let me clarify that you can't see the symbols at all, just the outlines of where the garment is. 

I have always maintained that I do not think it looks good when people with garments wear sheer or lacey clothes and you can see the garments through them. Any clothes in this category I would just layer a capsleeve shirt and then the regular shirt. But now I'm realizing that this is literally every shirt, and that even with a white bra (to blend with the garments) you can still see it if you look for it. I'm now wondering how I never noticed this before. My question is, does being able to even faintly see garments underneath your clothes look tacky? How do other ladies take care of the "too many lines gives away the bra" problem? Do you think these things just look like undershirts to the untrained eye? Even to the trained eye, is that a fashion faux pas? I don't know if there is even such as thing as a completely non-see through shirt when you are wearing white underneath, but now this is really bugging me and making me wonder if people are doing double takes wondering what is going on under there. How do people who live in hot climates dress themselves to stay cool and not run into this happening? Trying to figure out if people don't pay attention like I didn't till now, or if it's just a fact that happens when wearing garments and you hope other people don't look too close. 

I think seeing that you have something under the tshirt is fine. I would not, however, wear the garment as a camisole, by which I mean that you can see the garment fairly clearly under a lacy or sheer top.

By the way, it is likely that someone somewhere will object to seeing the outline. In the end, you need to decide for yourself. For example Walmart sells http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/lace-modesty-panels

A lady in my ward felt these were immodest. 

Good Luck!

First, let me address the weather thing.  There is no getting around the fact that the south is hot and humid.  (I'm in Texas).  I spend a lot of time out in the yard.  And the sweat pours off of me.  It's uncomforable, unpleasant, undesireable, and un... flattering.  But it is simply a reality.  I suffer.  You suffer.  We all suffer.  That's part of being a peculiar people.

Now, the fashion thing.  I could really say the same thing here that I just said above about comfort.  Just switch some words around and, yup, the same statements.

I realize that women have more fashion issues than men.  And I'm not going to pretend to understand them or fully empathize.  But did you really think that being the covenant people of the Lord would not come with sacrifices?

So I'm a very petite person with a very small frame, so any shirts I wear will almost always show the lining of my garments or the garment itself on my shoulders. Just kind of inevitable. I could wear just plain t-shirts everyday, but like you, I like to be fashionable and wear cute clothes. I also live in a very humid area, so while the idea that I'm about to propose is going to sound insane, I promise it is doable. I wear the layered tops from downeast. I wear the demi shirts to cover my bra and my shoulders when the bottom of my shirt doesn't expose anything, and I wear a full layered shirt when I need the full coverage. While I know this sounds way too extreme for the humid weather, and I will admit I sweat a lot with all the layers, it's the sacrifice I make to wear my cute shirts that are not immodest but just don't work well with my frame and my garments that fit very tight to my body. I definitely recommend trying them out. You will have to let your body temperature adjust to all the layers, but with time I think you'll come to find the downeast shirts a lifesaver! They are for me. I don't care to show parts of the downeast undershirt through my shirts, cause it's just an undershirt and isn't exposing the garment. It makes me feel so much more comfortable in the clothes that are appropriate, but don't always fit right with my garments.

I'm attaching a link to the demi shirts. I wear these everyday on top of my bra (I wear my bra on top of my garment). These help me out so much. These are much less "heavy" than the full shirts. It's a very thin cotton layer. 

https://www.downeastbasics.com/collections/layering-essentials/products/demi-tee-core-colors

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

Guest MormonGator
6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

First, let me address the weather thing.  There is no getting around the fact that the south is hot and humid.  (I'm in Texas).  I spend a lot of time out in the yard.  And the sweat pours off of me.  It's uncomforable, unpleasant, undesireable, and un... flattering.  But it is simply a reality.  I suffer.  You suffer.  We all suffer.  That's part of being a peculiar people.

I admire anyone who tries to wear their garments 24/7. It's impressive. I know of people who just can't! 

16 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I admire anyone who tries to wear their garments 24/7. It's impressive. I know of people who just can't! 

Of course you mean "won't".

That being said, I've never showered wearing mine once. Not once!

I know... Guess I got some repenting to do.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

I've never showered wearing mine ...

I heard a guy from the reorganized Church once try to tell me that during Joseph and Brigham's time they used to bathe by removing only parts at a time.  After washing, they'd replace with a clean one.  Then they'd proceed to move across their bodies that way.

I've never bothered to look that up.  I don't even know where I'd start looking.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:24 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

Fashion is an eternal principle. Very important.

Well, that goes without saying...  That's why Moroni wore a sash when he visited Joseph. ;)

I would say that our wearing of the garment is an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.  The church is pretty specific when it comes to wearing the garment, but ultimately it is a decision between you and the Lord.  

However, when you are up for a temple recommend interview, and you are asked "do you wear the garment both night and day... as instructed...covenant...." you need to be able to answer yes.  

50 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@Blueskye2. Goodness me! That would cause a stir in sacrament servic! But you could still be buried in certain graveyards. Hmmm. I am not keen. @MormonGator may have a pair!

At a business conference years ago, one of the marketing give-a-ways that are done all over a expo floor was fake full sleeve tattoo with the company's log all over it. It was hilarious, and looked very real as long as you didn't get up too close for inspection. That's what the sleeves you posted reminded me of.

Wouldn't cause much of a stir at mass, people would just be, oh, there's another colorful Catholic...our parish is full of em (errr, us).