New Stake Requirement

BeccaKirstyn

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

Yes they do stay, and they persist in their rude behavior and that is why I leave the chapel after Sacrament and sit in the foyer under the speaker so I can hear the speakers without the annoyance of the adult gigglers, gossipers and hand held game players. It is also why I leave church during RS because there is no where else I can go to get away from these rude sisters and just hear the teacher. I am the Old, Fat, White haired, Snippy Sister that will stand up - turn to these/this sister and request that she either put away the electronic game, or cease with the gossiping, Thank You Very Much. If she/they don't cease, then I leave and wait in the car for Hubby.

You have the agency to make that decision. I don't think it's one that will help anyone with any of the 3-fold mission of the church  items, least of all yourself, but if that is the identity and behavior you choose to own, you do have the agency to do so. Just like people have the agency to use their phones and chit-chat instead of getting the most out of church themselves.

Personally, I hope I'm the fat, white haired old lady that people can count on for a smile, a big hug, and a piece of the wisdom I've earned the hard way, when the situation calls for it. That lady to my ward passed on awhile back, and boy do I miss her. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I hope I'm the fat, white haired old lady

Okay, new rule. No more calling ourselves fat. That goes for @Iggy, @Eowyn and all other sisters/brothers. Don't talk down about yourself that way! 

I am hoping adults are able to comprehend this is not the Church saying you can't use cell phones or electronic devices in church. The request, as to my knowledge, is particular to sacrament meeting.

What is done outside, in other groups, quorums, classes, etc... would be between the teacher and student.

What I completely don't understand is parents who tell their children, "Put your cell phone away while in class," (School), but then at church these same parents respond differently, "Don't you dare take away my childs cell phone. IT ISN'T YOURS." I believe this is a little ironic, possibly hypocritical -- borderline.

Guest MormonGator
53 minutes ago, NightSG said:

What about vaping and Guinness?

Or vaping Guinness?

Jeez, are you going to tell everyone what @Vort and I do doing Elders Quorum??

54 minutes ago, NightSG said:

What about vaping and Guinness?

Or vaping Guinness?

The term "vaping" is so amazingly stupid-sounding that I'm a little surprised anyone would admit to it. Kind of like "tweeting", but worse.

Guest MormonGator
21 minutes ago, Vort said:

The term "vaping" is so amazingly stupid-sounding that I'm a little surprised anyone would admit to it. Kind of like "tweeting", but worse.

In other words, @Vort spends his three hour block smoking what made Colorado famous. 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Actually, "toking" scores pretty high on the stupid-sounding scale, too.

You are the one from Seattle pal. I'm from small town Florida. We just don't have the around these parts!

(yes, I'm playing!) 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

You are the one from Seattle pal. I'm from small town Florida. We just don't have the around these parts!

We have more than enough here. The first billboard you see leaving SeaTac tells you where to get your mellow on. "420-friendly" isn't talking about a highway.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Vort said:

We have more than enough here. The first billboard you see leaving SeaTac tells you where to get your mellow on. "420-friendly" isn't talking about a highway.

We've talked about it before, but I will never understand why a crusty old conservative like you lives in what is unquestionably one of the most liberal cities in the country. It's like @yjacket living in Berkley or @LiterateParakeet living in small town Texas. (You guys/ and girl know that's not an insult, just making a point. )  I'm a moderate in New England, a liberal down south, but I'd be considered a right wing fascist in Seattle! 

Edited by MormonGator

9 hours ago, Iggy said:

If there were another Branch or Ward closer than 26 miles away I would go there just to get away from the habitually gossiping, giggling, rude ADULT members that plague my Branch.

I have heard some variation of this in every ward I have ever attended.

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I will never understand why a crusty old conservative like you lives in what is unquestionably one of the most liberal cities in the country.

Lots of tech work in Seattle. Who knows, we might end up there. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

We've talked about it before, but I will never understand why a crusty old conservative like you lives in what is unquestionably one of the most liberal cities in the country. It's like @yjacket living in Berkley or @LiterateParakeet living in small town Texas. (You guys/ and girl know that's not an insult, just making a point. )  I'm a moderate in New England, a liberal down south, but I'd be considered a right wing fascist in Seattle! 

LOL, you are SO right.  Texas...SHUDDDER!  I couldn't.  I absolutely love it here in the liberal Northwest. :) 

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Lots of tech work in Seattle. Who knows, we might end up there. 

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

As Jack Handey says, home is where the house is. My house is here. So is my job. So is my family.

Yes, the politics here sucks. Yes, people are often the sort of mindless liberal others make fun of. Yes, getting stoned is a big thing among a sizeable minority population. But the area is beautiful; I honestly doubt there is a more picturesque and comfortable place on Earth than the Seattle area during the summer. For a big city that has all the normal big-city problems, Seattle is pretty, nice to walk around in, and reasonably safe (though stay away from Pioneer Square after dark). And for all their embarrassingly brain-dead leftist ideals, Seattleites tend to be friendly and not stupid (other than politics). Less pretentious than many other leftist areas, and on the whole much less in-your-face. Fact is, you can do way worse than Seattle. And I don't even live in Seattle; I'm on the Eastside, the suburbs, which True Seattleites® mock and roll their eyes at, but it's sort of the best of both worlds, much more family-friendly than Seattle, except for the housing prices.

22 hours ago, Vort said:

I have heard this excuse all of my life. I remember even using it myself, at least once, long ago.

Not any more. I disbelieve it. Not that I think you're lying; I think you're telling what you believe to be the truth. I simply think you're wrong. With a relatively minimal amount of practice, people listen better when they listen, not when they distract themselves.

You don't know me, you don't know yow my brain works.  I've spent over 40 years dealing with it.  You haven't, so don't presume to lecture. Now even if you were right however, the point still stands that as long as I am not actively disruptive, IE blocking vision vision or making noise, it's no one else's business whether or not I am paying attention, or what I am paying attention to. 

I find the entire attitude that has been exhibited in this thread being basically "We need to force everyone to pay attention in a certain way" to be extremely distasteful, and were I to find that to be the prevailing attitude in my ward(a ward I've been in since 1973), I wouldn't be back, not to that ward.  It all kind of reminds me of the primary child who considers himself the prayer police and peeks around during prayer to make sure that everyone else has their eyes closed and their arms folded and heads bowed. It is an equally childish attitude.

I'm finding that as I age, I am less and less able to tolerate busybodies, to the point that the best I can do when I absolutely need to is active avoidance, though my self control in this is slipping.  

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Although I now live in Houston, I grew up in small town Texas.  It is definitely an acquired taste.

44 minutes ago, kapikui said:

I've spent over 40 years dealing with it.  You haven't, so don't presume to lecture.

Of course I will. What part of "discussion group" don't you understand?

Now even if you were right however, the point still stands that as long as I am not actively disruptive, IE blocking vision vision or making noise, it's no one else's business whether or not I am paying attention, or what I am paying attention to.

When you make a statement on a -- think about this term -- Discussion Group, then yes, it becomes a topic of conversation. It is indeed "my business", at least as far as discussion goes.

But whether or not it's someone else's business is beside the point. Does a person listen better by not listening? Listening is a learned skill. Sure, when you practice listening by doing something else instead, then continue doing so for your whole life, that becomes your default mode for listening. Change is almost always difficult and painful. That doesn't mean your default mode is good, or that the changed mode wouldn't be better.

Find someone who is a good, powerful listener. Such people do exist. When you find one, ask him if he listens by distracting himself with other things. You will find that he does not; rather, he concentrates on what is being said.

I find the entire attitude that has been exhibited in this thread being basically "We need to force everyone to pay attention in a certain way" to be extremely distasteful

I suggest you reread the thread with your prejudices hidden. I have seen no such attitude.

I'm finding that as I age, I am less and less able to tolerate busybodies, to the point that the best I can do when I absolutely need to is active avoidance, though my self control in this is slipping.

As you continue to age, you may also find yourself less willing to accept silly, nonsensical, self-negating excuses, such as when people say, "I concentrate best by not concentrating." Or people who participate in discussion groups but don't want to discuss.

Edited by Vort

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Of course I will. What part of "discussion group" don't you understand?

When you make a statement on a -- think about this term -- Discussion Group, then yes, it becomes a topic of conversation. It is indeed "my business", at least as far as discussion goes.

But whether or not it's someone else's business is beside the point. Does a person listen better by not listening? Listening is a learned skill. Sure, when you practice listening by doing something else instead, then continue doing so for your whole life, that becomes your default mode for listening. Change is almost always difficult and painful. That doesn't mean your default mode is good, or that the changed mode wouldn't be better.

Find someone who is a good, powerful listener. Such people do exist. When you find one, ask him if he listens by distracting himself with other things. You will find that he does not; rather, he concentrates on what is being said.

I suggest you reread the thread with your prejudices hidden. I have seen no such attitude.

As you continue to age, you may also find yourself less willing to accept silly, nonsensical, self-negating excuses, such as when people say, "I concentrate best by not concentrating." Or people who participate in discussion groups but don't want to discuss.

Vort, I like about 90% of what you say,  I seriously missed you when you took your hiatus a while ago and stopped coming around myself since you're one of the few people around here who talks sense, but you really, REALLY have no idea what you are talking about in this instance.  I was going to say more, but it's late, and I really don't want to get myself worked up.  Let's just say I've spent about 30 years doing personal scientific experiments on how I best do things depending on how much of what kind of medication I am on, and have found things that work for me.   You might want to read some actual research on the subject.  

When I'm in sacrament meeting, and a member of my family is not with me, my phone will be on silent. If it vibrates, I will check to see who it is. If its not my wife or one of my kids, i will ignore it. If it is my wife or one of my kids, I will walk out of the meeting and take the call. Same rules apply no matter what kind of meeting I am in. I am always available to my family, and that pretty much takes precedence over everything else.