Windows 10 inspired me to move to a Linux operating system

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The beauty of Linux is the freedom to develop anything without having Big Brother watch over you.  And, if  you don't like the way the OS handles certain things, you can always surgically modify the OS itself.

I understand. And I certainly can see that for certain things there would be great advantage therein. As for the stuff I do (web dev and music) it isn't compelling. Sort of like suggesting, "if you get this car then you can easily customize it because there's lots of great parts and it doesn't depend on computer chips for the everything and etc., etc...!" Well...okay...but I don't customize cars or have any interest in doing so.

I'm stuck on car analogies today.

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I understand. And I certainly can see that for certain things there would be great advantage therein. As for the stuff I do (web dev and music) it isn't compelling. Sort of like suggesting, "if you get this car then you can easily customize it because there's lots of great parts and it doesn't depend on computer chips for the everything and etc., etc...!" Well...okay...but I don't customize cars or have any interest in doing so.

I'm stuck on car analogies today.

I guess where I'm confused is why you think somebody is telling you to get Linux... Windows 10 sucks.  But Linux is not a Windows replacement.  It has its own uses.

Edited by anatess2

9 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The difference between iOS and Android is the comparatively lack of freedom in iOS due to iOS "lock downs".  Now, iOS does this because of the Jobs paradigm of treating the computer as an appliance (I call it that because I have a feeling that now that Jobs is gone, Apple is going to abandon that paradigm and end up failing like they did before... there's plenty of evidence for that in iPhone X).

MicroSoft doesn't have that same paradigm and it became a sideshow to expect Windows to fail at something during unveiling and it became the MicroSoft norm to release a buggy product then fix the bugs as an "upgrade".  But they're trying to change that now because of all the security problems they've been having that cost them a lot of money.  So they're trying to "backdoor" their own version of a Jobs paradigm where instead of locking down the OS, they Big Brother your enterprise and vacuum info for their analysis then force an upgrade into the OS into your Enterprise.  It's stupid.  And, of course, they locked down the OS in as much as, you can't modify certain aspects of the OS itself.

The beauty of Linux is the freedom to develop anything without having Big Brother watch over you.  And, if  you don't like the way the OS handles certain things, you can always surgically modify the OS itself.

Most of us are either incapable of modifying it or just not interested in putting in the additional work.  I prefer something that just works.  Windows has been that.  But it also allows for the freedom of updating your hardware with many different options..

I personally think the iphone is great hardware, but I hate using them.  I feel road blocked with many different aspects of it.  I can't just transfer music to it..  have to go through itunes..  android...  can put music on it from any source and any computer.  Same with videos.  I love the UI I have on my android.  Then the apps.  IOS probably has a bit better apps, but so many of the free ones are extremely heavy on the ads.  Most of my free android apps have little or no ads.  

But my wife loves her phone so that is what she gets.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I guess where I'm confused is why you think somebody is telling you to get Linux... Windows 10 sucks.  But Linux is not a Windows replacement.  It has its own uses.

I'm debating the bolded above. Windows is a tool that works well for some and others don't care for. It is subjective. There is a distinct "Windows 10 sucks and Linux rules" view being espoused by some, with a strong implication, in some cases, that everyone would be happier on Linux, leaving the misery of Windows behind. But it's wrong/mistaken/flawed.

If you've read the trend of the thread differently and think my responses are defending something that hasn't been attacked... *shrug* ....

7 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Most of us are either incapable of modifying it or just not interested in putting in the additional work.  I prefer something that just works.  Windows has been that.  But it also allows for the freedom of updating your hardware with many different options..

I personally think the iphone is great hardware, but I hate using them.  I feel road blocked with many different aspects of it.  I can't just transfer music to it..  have to go through itunes..  android...  can put music on it from any source and any computer.  Same with videos.  I love the UI I have on my android.  Then the apps.  IOS probably has a bit better apps, but so many of the free ones are extremely heavy on the ads.  Most of my free android apps have little or no ads.  

But my wife loves her phone so that is what she gets.

Or you just don't know how to use it... like how to put music into your iOS device without iTunes.

10 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

perhaps.  I just am not a fan of how apple tries to control stuff on the phone.

Yep.  It's why you don't like Windows 10.

But... as the saying goes... with great power (or freedom) comes great responsibility.  These systems run on completely different paradigms.

11 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Ease/non-ease of knowing how to use something is right on point.

Most of the reason Android people don't like iPhone and vice versa is... the human-to-computer-interaction.  They get used to using one.  Same with MacOS and Windows.  Same with BMW vs Mercedes, etc. etc.

On 5/4/2017 at 12:11 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:
  • Expect your group policy settings and tweaks to be completely removed or changed and the only way to get them back is to change to Windows 10 Enterprise.

My workplace upgraded to Windows 10 last year (I was the guinea pig for the upgrade) and I was confused by this thread because I've experienced no problems at all.  No ads, and I have short cuts on my start menu to everything I use on a weekly basis, even for things that aren't installed programs.  It's been the best Windows operating system I've ever worked with.

Just looked...Windows 10 Enterprise.  Seems like the lesser forms of the OS are not so impressive.

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Nonsense.

Troll.

A lot of Enterprise Managers do not want to risk not being in control of something like this: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/17951298/microsoft-windows-10-bugs-issues-report

Especially when you're running proprietary tech.

Edited by anatess2

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Troll.

Enterprise Managers cannot risk something like this: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/17951298/microsoft-windows-10-bugs-issues-report

I didn't say that sort of thing could/should be risked unnecessarily. What I'm saying is the thread (inspired to switch to Linux because of Win 10) is nonsense. Every operating system upgrade has the potential to have issues/bugs. That's reality. The fact that MS "pulled its latest Windows 10 update" and faced backlash from it and "faces quality test" is a good thing. If Linux screws you or your stuff up...tough. No one cares because there's no money in the matter.

Yes, the auto update thing may be a problem...it's one problem and perhaps a direction MS should re-consider. But it's not like there weren't plenty of problems with Windows that enterprise managers dealt with prior to the auto update thing.

The "nonsense" is that Windows is plagued with problems and Linux is not. If Linux and it's "flavors" were as universally distributed/used as Windows you would not only see as many issues, you would see more. They wouldn't be the same issues, of course, but they'd be just as problematic, likely more-so.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

14 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yes, the auto update thing may be a problem.

You think?

14 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The "nonsense" is that Windows is plagued with problems and Linux is not. If Linux and it's "flavors" were as universally distributed/used as Windows you would not only see as many issues, you would see more. They wouldn't be the same issues, of course, but they'd be just as problematic, likely more-so.

That's an added phrase that did not exist with your "nonsense" response.

Linux doesn't have "issues".  It is not structured nor distributed the same way as Windows.  Linux is open source... which means - you add or remove "issues" yourself.

Edited by anatess2

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That's an added phrase that did not exist with your "nonsense" response.

It's called clarification. It's one of the ways in which communication is improved.

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Linux doesn't have "issues".  It is not structured nor distributed the same way as Windows.  Linux is open source... which means - you add or remove "issues" yourself.

Haha. Nice strawman.

Do you really think you're going to convince me here with this sort of thing?

We'll go with another automobile example just for fun.

It's like I've been driving for 40 years...nay...not just driving...but driving professionally.... and then I test drive a new car and it breaks down 5 times on the test drive, and then the sales guy tells me it's my fault for not knowing how to drive.

Right sales guy. Sold. <_<

On 12/3/2018 at 7:31 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm debating the bolded above. Windows is a tool that works well for some and others don't care for. It is subjective. There is a distinct "Windows 10 sucks and Linux rules" view being espoused by some, with a strong implication, in some cases, that everyone would be happier on Linux, leaving the misery of Windows behind. But it's wrong/mistaken/flawed.

If you've read the trend of the thread differently and think my responses are defending something that hasn't been attacked... *shrug* ....

I'm going to move the bars a bit to make my point, instead of saying just "Linux" I'll just broadly say "open source software".

I do completely believe that if everyone were using open source software by and large computing would be better place. Chances are you actually use open source or open source based works and don't even realize it. Little projects like Firefox, Chrome, Android, the Apache web server, MySQL, Python and many, many more. Firefox blew IE out of the water back in the day, now Chrome (based on the open source chromium) holds that candle. Android runs the majority of the worlds "smart devices". Apache is the most common web server deployed on the web. These are great products, used extensively. Even commanding their own near dominance of their respective niches.

If a single Linux distribution commanded the market share that Windows now does. Oh man, all those little bug testers out there. It would be a beautiful thing me thinks.

2 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I do completely believe that if everyone were using open source software by and large computing would be better place.

Could be.

2 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Chances are you actually use open source or open source based works and don't even realize it.

Such an interestingly patronizing presumption.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Such an interestingly patronizing presumption.

I can't help what you read into my words, I only know it's very common that people use these projects and don't realize they are developed similarly to Linux itself. There's no sense of superiority to it, it just is. I'm pointing out that the open source model used by many distributions of Linux has been thoroughly vetted and with other projects come out on top of proprietary products quite often.

Linux OS's themselves are filling their own niches outside of the desktop world quite well.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

We'll go with another automobile example just for fun.

It's like I've been driving for 40 years...nay...not just driving...but driving professionally.... and then I test drive a new car and it breaks down 5 times on the test drive, and then the sales guy tells me it's my fault for not knowing how to drive.

Right sales guy. Sold. <_<

I think a better analogy is a guy used to driving an automobile jumped into a make with controls designed in an entirely different way. Then he blames the car when it doesn't drive like the one he's used to driving instead of realizing that he may have to relearn some of his driving skills to use this car with different controls.

5 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I can't help what you read into my words,

"I can't help that you inferred that I might be saying you probably don't know what you're talking about by implying that you probably don't know what you're talking about."

tenor.gif?itemid=10574675

7 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I think a better analogy is a guy used to driving an automobile jumped into a make with controls designed in an entirely different way. Then he blames the car when it doesn't drive like the one he's used to driving instead of realizing that he may have to relearn some of his driving skills to use this car with different controls.

I'm not blaming the car. I'm blaming the people who redesigned it.

28 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

"I can't help that you inferred that I might be saying you probably don't know what you're talking about by implying that you probably don't know what you're talking about."

Okay, try not to get bent out of shape when someone explains something when it's not readily apparent you already know it. But to the point you don't seem to understand what you are talking about imho.

After all one of your bigger critiques was the difficulty of installing/unavailability of certain software, which is just the natural result of being a tiny market share on the desktop rather than any inherent flaw in the product itself. Somewhat like wondering why the Ford brakes everyone else uses won't fit in your BMW. (the car analogy is fun!)

On 12/3/2018 at 8:25 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

If Linux screws you or your stuff up...tough. No one cares because there's no money in the matter.

Why isn't there money in the matter? This illustrates that you don't know what you are talking about. See Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or the many support offers put out by different Linux companies. If support is what you want, then pay for support!

On 12/3/2018 at 8:25 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

I think the fact that many popular programs use the open source development model and beat out proprietary products disproves this. Oh, but you already knew that right? So why did you make this point to begin with?

Edited by jerome1232

29 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Okay, try not to get bent out of shape when someone explains something when it's not readily apparent you already know it. But to the point you don't seem to understand what you are talking about imho.

After all one of your bigger critiques was the difficulty of installing/unavailability of certain software, which is just the natural result of being a tiny market share on the desktop rather than any inherent flaw in the product itself. Somewhat like wondering why the Ford brakes everyone else uses won't fit in your BMW. (the car analogy is fun!)

Why isn't there money in the matter? This illustrates that you don't know what you are talking about. See Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or the many support offers put out by different Linux companies. If support is what you want, then pay for support!

I think the fact that many popular programs use the open source development model and beat out proprietary products disproves this. Oh, but you already knew that right? So why did you make this point to begin with?

You, clearly, haven't understood my point of view. I'd try and explain it further, but since you have misunderstood it so badly, I can't imagine that doing so will help.

If only I actually cared about the matter I'd actually debate it with you further. I don't. And since my only reason for discussing it was for the fun of it, and as it has, with your condescending interjections, turned decidedly un-fun, I think I'll walk away instead.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm not blaming the car. I'm blaming the people who redesigned it.

Wait, what?

Ford is a redesign of Honda?  Linux is a "redesign" of a Windows OS?  That doesn't make sense.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Wait, what?

Linux is a "redesign" of a Windows OS?  That doesn't make sense.

Meh...the analogies were flawed from the get go.

The point is that I don't "blame" Linux for sucking. It's just sucked for me. That should be obvious.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they shouldn't use Linux.

Edit (it didn't, actually "suck" for me. I just didn't prefer it. Saying it sucked or sucks is excessive).

Edited by The Folk Prophet