Star Trek or Star Wars?

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yay!  This is from, like, the '90's, right?  Back when the world wide web had only three dimensions - naughty pictures, arguments about religion/politics, and Star Trek fan fiction.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

26 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Babylon 5 is often hailed as the premise for ST:DS9.

More importantly, B5 had more Julia Nickson than ST:TNG and ST:DS9 put together.

Should have had a lot more, if they'd done the whole story for TV.

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

Am I missing anything?

Game of Thrones/ASOIAF. Not LDS-friendly, I know, but a great story all the same. I'm using the longer break between seasons to read the books, and they certainly haven't disappointed so far.

As for Star Trek vs. Star Wars, I have to go with Star Wars. The prequels were a disappointment, but Force Awakens was a breath of fresh air and Rogue One is the best movie in the franchise, imo. I'm excited to see what the future holds.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Space 1999.  Stupid premise.  But otherwise, the stories were pretty fun.

Season 1 was the best - though I loved Maya! 

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

The Prisoner:  I'm not exactly sure if this qualifies as sci-fi.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, subjected to public inquiry or buried in soft peat for six months and recycled as firelighters!"

Oh a few more...

• The Avengers (Especially the Mrs. Peel episodes. Tara King was OK but Emma Peel ruled.)
  • Blake's 7 (essentially Star Trek for the terminally depressed. By far the best thing about it was Jacqueline Pierce as the evil empress Servelan.)
  • UFO (Anderson's other Live Action sci-fi show.)
  • Wonder Woman (I don't care what you say, there will never ever be any Wonder Woman other than Linda Carter)
  • Hercules the Legendary Journeys/Xena Warrior Princess
  • Ummm....am I allowed to mention Charlie's Angels? (Jacklyn Smith was always my favourite.109248.jpg
Edited by Jamie123

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

If you're going to bring that up, you've got to mention Anderson's other series it was intended to be somewhat connected with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(TV_series)

Sorry NightSG - I hadn't noticed you'd already mentioned UFO. It wasn't "connected" with Space 1999 story-wise (they take place in different universes) but Space 1999 "grew out of" what would have been the second UFO season before they scrapped it. They were planning to expand the UFO Moon Base, and the models they built for this (so I understand) were eventually used as Moonbase Alpha.

6 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'll give you one guess.

Your avatar says it all.  You must be a Xena: Warrior Princess fan.  (For those who don't know, she is famous for having a pose with her sword almost identical to FP's pose).

Edited by Guest

On May 4, 2017 at 7:52 PM, DoctorLemon said:

It is May the Fourth, and I could not resist but to ask.

My vote goes with Star Trek!

In a one on one fight id vote trek... However for pitting empires against empires the only thing in trek that can stand up to the empire are the borg. (discounting the random omnidimensional superbeings)

Edited by Blackmarch

Star Wars.

Mostly because I know and have seen very little with Star Trek, despite my parents being Trekkers. I recall growing up with them watching Star Trek all the time but never watched it with them.

So, Star Wars by default.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:26 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Best scene from anything ever produced in the StarTrek universe is here.  It's a strong crossover with LDS gospel principles, as two followers of Lucifer discuss the Lord's plan.  

Root beer is insidious.

Edited by Guest

On 5/4/2017 at 7:52 PM, DoctorLemon said:

It is May the Fourth, and I could not resist but to ask.

My vote goes with Star Trek!

Depends, on which era/series. I just finished binge watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix. Top notch storytelling, until the last season, then it fizzled out. Interesting enough, it straddles the non-HD to HD, and non-CGI to CGI timeframes. Starts out, no CGI and in a 4x5 format, then all of the sudden, its in HD and has a few CGI effects.

The original Star Wars (episode 4) will always be my favorite. I mean the original, before Lucas mussed with it. In my mind Hans Solo was forever out there, in a galaxy far, far, away. Then they killed him off and I'll never forgive them for that. He is a hero of myth that should never die.

The newer Star Wars films are ok, the story is a rehashed telling of previous stories, which is fine, except they have too much of a reliance on special effects. And this thing with studios, where they split a story that could be told in one movie, into several movies, is irksome. I feel I'm getting fleeced.

(DC and Marvel comics. bleh. I wait until my daughter tells me one is "really good" to go see it. They just don't appeal to me.)

I guess Star Wars.

I enjoyed the Original Trilogy, and the Prequels are okay, but I don't really enjoy these new movies like I enjoyed the original three movies that came out.

I enjoy some of the new Star Trek movies, but they seem to be more flash than substance, so I'm not sure I would say that I'm really a big fan of them either.

A few years ago we watched Star Gate SG-1 on Sci-Fi...that was a pretty fun show.

Can I vote for another old show instead?  I really enjoyed the OLD Battlestar Galactica (the new one is a little too risqué for me to be honest).

How about...Duck Dynasty?  That's a recent show I really enjoyed.  Could I go with 2001 instead as my choice to be a current fan of?  That's an older movie, but I still enjoy it and they haven't ruined it with tons and tons of sequels (they did attempt to make one several decades ago based on 2010, but that's the entirety of the sequel attempts they've done with it).

On 5/5/2017 at 4:21 PM, Jamie123 said:

am I allowed to mention Charlie's Angels? (Jacklyn Smith was always my favourite.109248.jpg

Finest post on the entire thread.:D

The Star Wars prequels get a lot of bad rap.  I love the prequels with the rest of them.  But... you have to read the books - including the in-between-movies books in that timeline.  The movie just doesn't capture the same depth.  The prequel movies have really stilty dialogue which throws the viewers off.  And the digital effects are too advanced for the continuity.  Both of these issues do not exist in the books so you remain fully immersed inside the Star Wars universe. 

I've seen the movies a gazillion times and our go-to pull out on a family night is Revenge of the Sith.  It's my boys' favorite book in the entire universe (which includes the events leading to the capture of the Emperor) and watching the movie is so much better after reading it.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic