Honoring Law Enforcement

Romans 13 tells us that to rebel against law enforcement is to oppose what God establishes. Yet, we are in a season when police and correctional workers get abundant scorn and precious little appreciation. Sunday begins Correctional Workers Week. I am humbled and honored to serve with my brothers and sisters. Thank someone this week who serves in this difficult, but important calling.

On 5/7/2017 at 0:46 AM, prisonchaplain said:

Romans 13 tells us that to rebel against law enforcement is to oppose what God establishes. Yet, we are in a season when police and correctional workers get abundant scorn and precious little appreciation. Sunday begins Correctional Workers Week. I am humbled and honored to serve with my brothers and sisters. Thank someone this week who serves in this difficult, but important calling.

That really is very important.  Unfortunately, I don't know any in this area.  I've known them in the past. But I can't think of anyone in my current life.

For these who would like to read the prayer I offered at our memorial service yesterday, here's the link:  https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reality-twenty-seventh-bell-tommy-ellis?published=t

Or...you can just read below:

I offered this prayer at our memorial for fallen heroes in national corrections this week: The 27th Bell

We have honored the fallen heroes in national prison work by ringing the bell 26 times—once for each. Some here have worked with one or more of them. So, God, would you bestow health, provision, healing and honor for and upon their surviving family members?

Father, we pray also for protection. None of us want to hear that bell ring a 27th time. Grant us an extra awareness—an added alertness—as we carry out our duties.

Our co-worker, line staff, or even our supervisor, may be the one who keeps our name from being the 27th bell. We may be the one that saves them. So, help us!

We serve in a season when law enforcement is often scorned. Scripture tells us: Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.

Knowing that we have your favor, God help us prove our detractors wrong! Equip and empower us to serve even better: With more integrity; more diligence; more wisdom and direction.

Once again, we ask for your protection and guidance. We look to you today—the author and finisher of our lives. These things we pray in your holy name. Amen!

Edited by prisonchaplain
add actual prayer

On May 7, 2017 at 1:46 AM, prisonchaplain said:

I served in the military for 8 years, and law enforcement for 23 years after leaving the military. The issues surrounding respect for those in uniform were around long before my time. However, what is new is the targeting of law enforcement for assignation, they has evolved in large cities. I served in one of our largest cities, but I never felt my life in danger as it is today. I mean, sure there is always a danger when serving warrants, traffic stops, domestic violence (the worst) but never crimes being staged in an effort to lure Police to their deaths. I have been retired nearly a decade, but still carry almost everywhere I go. Even though I have a conceal carry permit, I seldom conceal my weapon in hopes of keeping others from making trouble. I don't carry a weapon to protect myself, but my family and others. Right now in the Atlanta Metro area, there is a murder a day. A sad number of these are innocent bystanders. We should pray for our Police, and our leaders that they might live peaceable lives. 

The current situation is also making recruiting difficult. 

I'm still in regular contact with my cop friends and they say that when they actually get funding to hire, they have hard time getting qualified candidates. Currently their biggest pool is former military. The overall us population  is morally and physically unfit for police service. (Oddly enough fewpolice agencies require in service fitness tests after the academy, but that is a topic for another day) . I asked about lds candidates since a few of my friends are lds ( u can tell the applican is lds by the app stating mission service and eagle). They said they are getting a lot less than we had in the past.....a lot less. And of the ones they do get, they are not any more qualified than anyone else. Mostly they are in sad physical condition  and then the moral issues run a close second.

Their overall opinion of the recruit pool in general is that Americans dont have the intestinal fortitude to "warrior up" for a job that frankly involves much less violence than is portrayed on TV. That is why they are getting so  many former military because they are not afraid to engage and they want the challenge. 

I'm wondering if part of the trouble in recruiting for law enforcement are the credit checks.  Ironically, media and advocacy groups are portraying our protectors as knuckle-dragging, bigoted bullies, when the reality is that our integrity and accountability standards are generally much higher than for civilian positions.  There is a special level of hypocrisy in those academics of late, who enjoy chastising peace-keepers, while defending rioters, all for Youtube fame.

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

I'm wondering if part of the trouble in recruiting for law enforcement are the credit checks.  Ironically, media and advocacy groups are portraying our protectors as knuckle-dragging, bigoted bullies, when the reality is that our integrity and accountability standards are generally much higher than for civilian positions.  There is a special level of hypocrisy in those academics of late, who enjoy chastising peace-keepers, while defending rioters, all for Youtube fame.

I also wonder if the random drug testing keeps some away....I believe it does with other jobs. 

On 5/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, Palerider said:

I also wonder if the random drug testing keeps some away....I believe it does with other jobs. 

Probably a few. Most people actually pass the dope test but get zapped because of admission of past use of some of the more extreme drugs like meth, glass,ice,pcp, ecstacy, bath salts etc. The scary thing is pretty much everyone has smoked weed so it isn't much of a stretch to try the harder stuff. Lots more people now with that past as opposed to 25 yrs ago.

The biggest thing keeping them from getting jobs is their background...lots of sexual deviants and criminals who have not been caught, but admit to the activity in our hiring process.