Responding to Mormon Hub Articles

On 2017-5-14 at 3:45 AM, Maureen said:

Okay, can you explain what you mean by the bolded?

M.

I think this might be an example of what Zil is referring to (Do I really dare presume to speak for Zil?)

Feedback on how the article was written (very simplified) There are way too many adjectives in this article and the paragraphs are too long

Feedback on the content (very simplified) I really like and agree with what Zil has said here about the colour of the flowers

More feedback on how the article was written - She wrote this with a fountain pen?! How absurd!

On 5/11/2017 at 11:52 PM, pam said:

I'm going to put on my admin hat here.

It's appears to becoming a trend here to write negative comments regarding the articles put out on Mormon Hub.    Comments like:  "Another stupid article."   

Many of the articles being written are by BYU students who are doing an internship with The More Good Foundation while attending BYU.  Many are wanting to pursue some kind of career that deals with writing.  The internship gives them a great opportunity to use and work on/improve their writing skills.  Many times they are given a subject for an article and they do their best to write something that might be of interest to our readers.  Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't.  Just like professional writers.  Not every article is going to appeal to everyone.  

If you don't like the article, fine...move on.  I do realize that there was one article recently that really hit a nerve with a few.  I get that.  But at least on that one, many explanations were given as to why the particular members of this forum disagreed with the article.  

I also understand that writers have to learn to take some criticism.  But there are kinder and much nicer ways to put things.  In my opinion, the above comment was just hurtful.  All of us have had to start out new in our perspective jobs and careers.  Let's give these people some courtesy.  They are learning and trying to do the best job they can.  Criticism and suggestions are one thing.  Out and out hurtful comments are another.

*takes off hat*

If what's here at Mormon Hub is upsetting, then people would probably keel over should they read some of the hostile reactions I've gotten to some of my stuff. 

Folks, I was actually gay-bashed for assigning a positive rating to one movie Hollywood wanted to see buried and accused of outright racism & sexism for assigning a negative rating to a film that was Hollywood's "darling". 

Basically folks, if you want to make it as a writer you need a pretty thick hide. If any of the writers who are getting upset by what they're reading here on Mormon Hub would like to talk with me directly about this, I'll carve some time out to make it happen. 

Could we ...? Perhaps ...? Not criticize MormonHub writers for the topic as the topic may have been assigned? What do you think ?

Actually, I just had a naughty thought. I used to live in Ottawa and..I had a friend who was hired by the federal government for her background as an English major. Back in the day, when one civil servant wrote to another civil servant their letter passed through a 3rd party who would rewrite the letter and corrrect grammar typos etc...and they also adjusted the tone! Yes! The memos were rewritten because they were too severe in tone. Why don't we rewrite each other's replies? We could rewrite our responses to be gentler and kinder! For example, We could use the sandwich technique. You know: praise, criticism, praise. We could use a gentler, more temple ready tone! How amusing!

Edited by Sunday21

Guest Godless
41 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

]Actually, I just had a naughty thought. I used to live in Ottawa and..I had a friend who was hired by the federal government for her background as an English major. Back in the day, when one civil servant wrote to another civil servant their letter based through a 3rd party who would rewrite the letter and corrrect grammar typos etc...and they also adjusted the tone! Yes! The memos were rewritten because they were too severe in tone. Why don't we rewrite each other's replies? We could rewrite our responses to be gentler and kinder! For example, We could use the sandwich technique. You know: praise, criticism, praise. We could use a gentler, more temple ready tone! How amusing!

Because the "like" button alone isn't a good enough response to this idea:

b9b25436ad5ca13f51b7ce1c9ad578a8_like-meme-machine-gun-memesuper-rambo-like-machine-gun-meme_736-491.jpeg

• pam unpinned this topic