1 Nephi Chapter 16 - May 16, 2017

pam

• 4 months later...

One of the things I found interesting was reading about how after Lehi's family took wives among Ishmael's family that all of the commandments had been fulfilled.  To me it reaffirmed that marriage is ordained of God between a man and a woman.  Marriage is essential to the Lord's plan.

Also when discussing the Liahona I always had in my head that it was used for direction only.  But it also gave instruction.  Just another version of giving direction in their lives in the wilderness.

As I'm also following some of the manuals for the Book of Mormon I found this interesting tidbit.  When Ishmael died he was buried in a place called Nahom.  What I found was:

"A group of Latter-day Saint researchers recently found evidence linking a site in Yemen, on the south-west corner of the Arabian peninsula, to a name associated with Lehi's journey as recorded in the Book of Mormon. Warren Aston, Lynn Hilton, and Gregory Witt located a stone altar that professional archaeologists dated to at least 700 B.C. This altar contains an inscription confirming 'Nahom' as an actual place that existed in the peninsula before the time of Lehi. The Book of Mormon mentions that 'Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom' (1 Ne. 16:34).

"This is the first archaeological find that supports a Book of Mormon place-name other than Jerusalem or the Red Sea..." (Ensign, Feb. 2001, p. 79)