"Vaping?"

bunnibee

Hi, everyone. My fiancé is an investigator who plans to be baptized later this month. The missionaries and our bishop agreed that he should stop using his vapor pen (don't laugh at me- I don't know what those things are called) by 20th on the grounds that it contains nicotine, and he's been successful.

I agree with them that addiction is a problem that should be fought against. I tend to look at it as a form of idolatry because the thing you're addicted to claims the priority seat in your life that Heavenly Father should take. Neither him nor I argue the point that he should have tapered himself off of the nicotine. He's not smoking it without nicotine either.

I just wanted to ask what everyone else thinks about the whole "vaping" craze. How do you feel about it if there's no nicotine? It's just an interesting concept to me in terms of scripture.

1 hour ago, bunnibee said:

I just wanted to ask what everyone else thinks about the whole "vaping" craze. How do you feel about it if there's no nicotine? It's just an interesting concept to me in terms of scripture.

In my view it's just the new fad of smoking: just as disgusting and bad for you.

It's not smoking, it's inhaling vapors.  Ironically, originally, it was created to help people stop smoking.  It would give them the nicotine kick, but without the other chemicals in the cigarette (though ironically as well, some of the vapor inserts also had chemicals which had an unknown effect).

It's seen as cleaner and safer than smoking by the younger crowd.  It is NOT smoking anymore than inhaling steam from a boiling pot of water is smoking.  Just like that pot of smoking water, you can add flavors, scents, etc that combine with the steam to give them interesting scents/tastes.

You have some that have tobacco extracts these days, but as I said, the original idea, ironically, was to help people utilize it as a way to stop smoking.

It works, I think, by having a small heating element inside it.  This element in turn heats up the liquid into a steam (or vapor form, if you want) which the user can then inhale.

It's at an odd crossroads in regards to the Word of Wisdom.  One could say one should not present the appearance of evil, but more likely, people utilize the idea that is also used in regards to drug use in regards to vaping.

Personally, something does feel off, as it seems to use the same culture that cigarettes used to have, but at the same time, it also can feel like a way that people are using to try to skirt around the boundaries of the Word of Wisdom.  So far, without any official words from Salt Lake, I think the opinions on it may vary from church leader to church leader.

Once again, it was originally a way for people to stop smoking and thus was seen as sort of a medicine or balm to help them.  That makes this a very tricky thing to really decide on how it fits in.

8 hours ago, bunnibee said:

Actually "gaping" is more deadly than smoking, not to the lungs, but to the point of causing the addition to worsen. The "nicotine" is much stronger by design, and depending on the smoker "vaping" can by more and more powerful viles of nicotine. In fact it is so strong that it can and will kill younger children who are just trying to mimic parents or others. Here have been some many deaths (from what I have read) that E-cig's have warning labels added. 

On 5/14/2017 at 2:47 PM, bunnibee said:

The Word of Wisdom is about taking care of your body, as it was a gift from our Heavenly Father. The way we treat our body here will reflect the kind of body we receive in the next life.

So where does it stand with the word of wisdom? 

Don't quote me on this, but I think things that explode in your face are bad for your body. (Excuse my satire ;) )

No worse than  ramming twinkies down ur throat, guzzling 64 Oz of doctor pepper and hitting the dessert table at the ward dinner for the third time. All violations by being excessive, but unless it's actually smoke, chew, beer, wine, coffee, tea doesn't seem like a violation to me.

My understanding is that it isn't tobacco, just nicotine. I look at it just like the whole coffee/caffeine scenario. Coffee is outlawed, not caffeine. Hence all the monster drink guzzling people in my ward. Vaping does have the appearance of evil so yeah it will be shunned. Eating in excess should also be shunned as it is a clear violation of the wow, but it is a widely accepted part of our culture so we just do it anyway.

It strikes me that there are two facets to the WoW:  1) taking care of the physical body and remaining free of substance dependencies; and 2) putting up some deliberate social barriers by eschewing common social practices--"pushing back against the world", if you will; observing a symbolic reminder that in our quest for harmony with our fellow man there do remain principles that must not be compromised.

I can only see two reasons to vape:  because one enjoys the chemical fix; or because one likes the social credibility that comes with aping the cigarette use of one's peers.

I'll leave it to others as to whether one should be able to vape and hold a temple recommend; but IMHO:  "worthiness" issues aside, for those who understand the WoW vaping (except as a therapeutic, temporary practice to help in overcoming tobacco addiction) is just dumb, dumb, dumb.*

*No unrighteous judgment intended.  We all do dumb stuff, me probably more frequently than most folks.  But the topic under discussion here happens to be vaping. ;)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 5/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, bunnibee said:

I think it's another one of those pop culture things that is just plain stupid.  We had quite a bit of those in the 80's... leg warmers over jeans, neon tights under black miniskirts, bandannas over the forehead, big aquanet-crunched hair... yes, my teen-age photos make me cringe...

Anyway, so unless you got a medical reason to vape (having something to do with your hands and mouth can stem extreme anxiety problems), its utter uselessness makes it nothing more than a fashion statement like, MC Hammer pants.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I think it's another one of those pop culture things that is just plain stupid.  We had quite a bit of those in the 80's... leg warmers over jeans, neon tights under black miniskirts, bandannas over the forehead, big aquanet-crunched hair... yes, my teen-age photos make me cringe..

You should see MG's photos from those same trends.

6 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Source?

Obedience in general will effect which body we receive. But with the subject of resurrection there are celestial bodies for those who go to the celestial kingdom, terrestrial for the terrestrial kingdom, and telestial for he telestial kingdom (1 Cor 15:40-42). We will receive according to our righteousness (True to the Faith "resurrection"). How we deal with the commandments dealing with the body will affect which body we receive (Doctrines of the Gospel chap 33. Sec. C-4 and G-4)

There will likely be MANY instances where all through one's life he was a smoker, but later accepted the gospel and will be resurrected with a celestial body.

13 hours ago, Fether said:

Don't quote me on this, but I think things that explode in your face are bad for your body. (Excuse my satire ;) )

Look at how many people have been killed by water, and it's still getting passed around in Sacrament Meeting.

3 hours ago, NightSG said:

Look at how many people have been killed by water, and it's still getting passed around in Sacrament Meeting.

Oh, I know, that is why I use Koolaid. No one dies from Koolaid. All y'all water partskers are sinners and need to repent. 

22 hours ago, NightSG said:

That was FlaVorAid.  Couldn't even spring for the good stuff.

Wow!  That's amazing.  You shall go down in history as the man who corrected the entire Mormonhub forum on this deeply meaningful and significant matter.

(just kidding)  I actually appreciate the correction.