My First Day in Israel

Traveler

The first day of our tour in Israel we left Jerusalem and went down to the river Jordon.  Because Jerusalem sits at the top of mountain peaks; leaving Jerusalem always means someone will go down and going to Jerusalem – someone will always go up.  We went down (almost 4,000 feet down) to the area where Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.  Because the Jordan River meanders slowly, its course and place changes from year to year.  This means that at the time of my visit the river could be a mile east or west or the actual exact place where Jesus was baptized.  So, we could or may not be at the very place – but we were as near to the place of Jesus’ baptism as the context would make sense.

There were a lot of Christian groups that were also there performing mass baptisms.   Our guide gathered our group and he began to explain about “this place” and how it changes over time.  He then explained about Moses leading the Children of Israel out of Egypt and leaving Joshua to actually bring the children of Israel into the Promised Holy Land.  We then open our scriptures and read how Joshua brought the people to the Jordan River for ritual washing and cleansing in preparations for entering the Holy Land.

Our guide then asked the connections if any (to the events of Joshua and John the Baptist) in the scriptures.  In my great wisdom – I responded that the names, “Jesus” and “Joshua” are the same name in Hebrew.  At this point the spirit whispered to me to listen carefully and pay attention.  My guide asked the question – do you think these connections are coincidences or is there a message to be learned by bringing both stories together and the same place on the Jourdan River?  

Very often is it difficult to explain spiritual experiences.  This was like my whole life and scripture journey had led to this moment.  The symbolism of John’s Baptisms and Joshua’s ritual cleansing are indeed the same – a same symbolic preparation.  We are taught that the “Law” of Moses is a preparatory law.   Preparatory of what?

The center of Israel is the temple mount and currently missing temple.  Things that have happened there and that are yet to happen at that very place.  The spirit whispered to me that I need to re-read and study all the scriptures anew with the intent of seeking to understand how scriptures, not only testify of Christ, but bring us to and prepare us for the temple and temple worship.  As the tour continued this message was repeated and added to – over and over.  That, especially the ancient Old Testament, is written – not to be a historical document or an accurate representation of ancient events in time and place but a symbolic pointer to prepare us for temple ordinances, covenants, laws and relationship to G-d – sacred things that can only come about through the temple and being prepared (both ritually and actually) to converse there with the L-rd through the gift and power of the Holy Ghost.

I realize that many love to discuss things presented on this forum with a format of debate.  It is very popular for some to say what the scriptures mean and do not mean.  I do not intend to argue over this method or any another method of scripture study, understanding or meaning.  But I do intend to make known that I have been led by the spirit to consider “new” things and ideas I have never considered before concerning scripture and the meanings thereof. 

The next stop of the first day – took me to the north to mount Tabor where a modern-day prophet has indicated was the place of Christ’s transfiguration.  My first day in Israel, I went from Israel’s lowest place to its highest – almost literally and definingly symbolically.  The importance of the temple and symbolic connection of temples to “A High mountain” was reaffirmed.   

Many – so many times during my visit the spirit manifested to me the truthfulness of understanding the scriptures in the context of temple worship – all of which are symbolic pointers to the Plan of Salvation which has been manifested in our day through prophets of these last days.  To renew repentance and receive a newness of our journey.

The Traveler

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, skalenfehl said:

Traveler, I believe this will interest you greatly:

This particular video is obviously a protestant Christian creation – I would guess that it has some Evangelical influence.  The Jews I talked to have an explanation of what is covered (or the attitude of coverage) in this video – They call it; trying to  force G-d’s hand.  In essence this is the idea that we can bring about G-d’s intentions through our efforts.  So, if we want Jesus to return then we need to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. 

The Jews I talked to all indicated that G-d knows what he is doing and if he needs our help he will let us know and command us accordingly – not a suggestion but a commandment.  In the meantime, we can prepare ourselves and be ready but we should not force G-d’s hand by trying to bring about prophesy ourselves. 

I need to explain something at this point – The official Rabbinical council has decided that covenant Jews should not go to the temple mount because only a High Priest can stand at the Holy of Holies and only priests can stand at the inner court – And they do not know for sure the physical boundaries.  There are some exceptions – for example, a Jewish “builder” can enter such sacred areas.  With this in mind a “builder” has carefully survey the temple mount based on all available information, including remaining ancient below ground foundations and determined that the original King Solomon’s temple was north of the current Muslim Mosque (Dome of the Rock).   Interestingly this corresponds to the utterances of a modern Prophet that met with a branch of the LDS church in an outdoor meeting on the Mount of Olives while the new LDS Jerusalem Center was being completed.

Even though Jews officially know that they can build the temple without moving the Dome of the Rock Mosque – it is not going to happen.  There is no divine authority to either build the temple or to perform any of the temple ordinances and the Jews know that they cannot and should not attempt to force G-d’s hand – without divine authority there is no reason to proceed.  Also for information sake – the Jews know that the wall where they pray is not a wall of the temple.  They pray at the wall because that is as close to where the temple will be (or was) that they are allowed.  BTW – as a side note – I was privileged to attend a bar mitzva at the wall (only men are allowed at the designated area of the wall so my dear wife had to watch the events (with the female members of the family) at a short distance.  I did not understand anything being said (recited) but did get to clap with our Jewish brother cousins.  I was presently surprised at how well we LDS are received.

The Traveler

Just for fun – a little story.  Our guide took our group south from Jerusalem to what is a small agriculture valley that was the ancient valley where the young David met Goliath.  As we walked into the valley there is a currently dry river bed that has flowing water only during part of the year.  It was the same river bed that David selected some rocks before going out to meet Goliath.  As we crossed the dry river bed our guide suggested that we select a few gulf ball sized river rocks.  I chose about 5. 

We then came to the edge of an olive grove and our guide passed out some locally made slings that are claimed to be the same design David used.  He challenged us to try them out.  What he did not know is that in my youth I was trained by my grandfather, that was an expert in the art with an ancient sling method unknown to most in our modern time.  I pointed to an olive tree about 50 yards down a dirt road and said that I would place my rock just above the tree at it center.  I then charged about 3 steps looping the sling once behind my back and transferring all the force of my movement into slinging (similar to a baseball pitcher), the stone left my sling with an audible hum, clearing the top center of the tree by no more than a couple of inches and continued past the tree an additional 50 yards or so.  Our guide watched and responded that he had never seen anything quite like that before!  I just smiled and said that if Goliath had been standing where the tree was – history would have been repeated.  It was the only time on the tour that I thought that I was able to demonstrate that I knew something our guide didn’t.  The wife whispered to me - "Show off".

The Traveler