Ordinances for the Dead...excommunication

workingonit

Hypothetical situation...Say a fella made some terrible decisions, which he is now repenting of but is currently excommunicated.  What would happen to him is he were to die?  Is there a temple ordinance for the restoration of blessings for the dead? Could they just start over for that person? Or is he just out of luck?

18 minutes ago, workingonit said:

Hypothetical situation...Say a fella made some terrible decisions, which he is now repenting of but is currently excommunicated.  What would happen to him is he were to die?  Is there a temple ordinance for the restoration of blessings for the dead? Could they just start over for that person? Or is he just out of luck?

Unless you are a son of perdition there is always a way to repent and get back on track.

Prior to my mission I was invited to participate in proxy ordinances for individuals who had died after having been excommunicated.  We were baptized as a proxy like you would be for any deceased individual.  I don't recall any differences in the wording of the ordinance.  As part of the confirmation ordinance, priesthood ordination and temple blessings were restored.  Based on the wording of that ordinance I assume no other proxy work would be required for the individual.  I don't know what was done to prepare the names for the ordinances as I was not involved in that part of the process.  We were required to have already been endowed in order to stand as proxy due to the restoration of temple blessings.  So to the original question, yes, there is an ordinance for the restoration of blessings for one who passes away following excommunication.

Fun aside:  This all occurred in the Salt Lake Temple.  Following the ordinances we were sitting waiting for something or someone when then-Elder Monson walked in, greeted us and chatted for a few moments about the importance of the work we'd just done.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:13 PM, NightSG said:

Oh...for a minute there I thought this was going to be a question about whether proxy excommunications can be done for those who died before two or more witnesses came forth.

Would the proxy for that have to be somebody who had been excommunicated previously?

18 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

Would the proxy for that have to be somebody who had been excommunicated previously?

SilentOne, I'm looking at the negative (purple) space of your negative-space image, and I'm seeing Spongebob Squarepants reaching up to get something being dropped to him by his best friend Patrick.

That is all. Carry on.

1. Excommunicated people who die before rejoining the church, require approval of the First Presidency. Just like anyone Excommunicated who wants to rejoin the church. Not long ago the Person who was responsible for the Mountain Meadows Massacre who was excommunicated then executed, the descendants want him re-baptized it had to go to the first presidency. If I recall correctly they turned it down for the time being.  Though I am sure permission will be given someday.
  2. So once permission is given then the temple ordinances would be just like any deceased person's baptism.