Modest is Hottest: One-Piece Swimsuits Are Trending

In a big win for modesty, one-piece swimsuits are growing in popularity this summer. One-piece swimsuits available online have increased by 20 percent compared to last year, according to retail analytics firm EDITED. Meanwhile, bikinis have decreased by 9 percent. Additionally, one-pieces are selling out three times faster than they did last year. Are you still preparing for swimsuit season? Here are seven places to get cute one-piece swimsuits: Lands' End This global apparel and lifestyle brand was originally the idea of a sailor. Lands' End suits last forever, and the fabric is thick, so you'll never have to worry whether it's see-through. Most swimsuits run from size 2 to size 18, with additional options for length, cup size, underwire support, and a tummy control panel. The retailer also offers tankinis, swim skirts, board shorts, and swim dresses. Swimsuits cost $40–$170. Albion Fit Albion Fit specializes in vintage-inspired swimsuits that are fashionable, practical, and high-quality. Swimsuits run from XXS to XXL, and most styles come in a variety of colors and patterns. Albion Fit also offers tankini tops, rash guards, swim skirts, and high-waisted bottoms. Swimsuits on...

View the full article

14 hours ago, Revolve said:

Modesty is a good thing but let's be honest, modest is not hottest. Maybe better worded, modest does not equal hottest.

I don't know about that. I've seen some smoking hot ones in one piece suits. Before SI got too racy there were some fairly modest suits worn by the models. Those suits are more modest than what we get at our annual ward swim party now in some cases.

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I love boy-shorts tankinis!  I just don't like how they call it boy shorts... coz, I don't know... I wanna be all girly and stuff!

That and I don't think most boys would ever wear such a thing. Maybe in the 60s.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

That and I don't think most boys would ever wear such a thing. Maybe in the 60s.

I know, right???  My boys will not wear board shorts shorter than knee length!  My kid grew 4 inches between 12 and 13 and refused to wear his perfectly fine board shorts because it doesn't touch his knee anymore!  I showed them old NBA clips during the Larry Bird years and they were laughing themselves silly...

Modest is not hottest. It's virtuous. It's good. It's certainly better than immodest. But the saying that "modest is hottest" isn't thinking out of the box. What I mean is that it continues to focus on what's hot vs what's good, right, and proper. I don't think it's wrong to suggest that modest is hottest, because the intent of the phrase is good. The intent of the phrase is to focus on modesty, but it also tends to focus on looking hot, which I think is a little off the mark. Can you really imagine Jesus saying it? I can't. It kind of cheapens the value of modesty, in a way.

I'm not very good at explaining why, but this is my best explanation. You can find better explanations of why modest is not hottest on various blogs on the internet. The point I'm trying to make is, the phrase "modest is hottest" has a good intent, and it's catchy. Overall, it teaches a good lesson. However, the point of modesty isn't to look good, it's to be virtuous. So it has some undertones that aren't quite correct.

I agree 100% with @eddified. "Modest is hottest" is a well-intentioned slogan, but it fails the most basic sniff test. Obviously, when "hot" means sexually attractive (which is what it means in this context), modesty is not "hot". Duh. Virtuous men may find it much more spiritually attractive, even to the point where they prefer to give their attention, sexual and otherwise, to a woman who exhibits virtues such as modesty. Of course, such men would bestow that sexual attention only within the bond of marriage. But the point is, that's a virtuous woman, not a "hot" woman.

It's another example of people attempting to be virtuous while clinging tightly to the world's memes. At some point, we as a people need to vacate Babylon altogether. We need to abandon wholesale the ideals of Babylon, including "hotness" as a valid measure of femininity. Modesty isn't "hottest", it's Godliest. And that should be our standard.

I have to agree with the above comments. I hate the term with a passion.  Of course at my age I'm not aiming to be hottest.  I'm aiming to make sure that what should be covered is covered.  That's the single goal when choosing any kind of clothing.  That should be the goal of any female no matter the age.

1 hour ago, pam said:

I'm aiming to make sure that what should be covered is covered.  That's the single goal when choosing any kind of clothing.  That should be the goal of any female no matter the age.

I'm not sure one-piece swimsuits, in general, accomplish this, realistically, in many cases much better than two-piece swimsuits do.

There are some great tankinis out there that are more modest than a one-piece.

As to the title, I think lasting commitment, a life built together, and deepening love is hottest, but that's just me.

Edited by Eowyn

3 hours ago, Eowyn said:

There are some great tankinis out there that are more modest than a one-piece.

As to the title, I think lasting commitment, a life built together, and deepening love is hottest, but that's just me.

With several trips planned for the rest of the year including a cruise, I need to find a swimsuit that is modest.  I have been looking at tankinis with the shorts.  They are much better suited for my body than a one piece would be.  And I think that is part of the key to choosing something modest.  Choose something for your body style, not just because it's trending or cute.

I find it interesting that anyone thinks that modern swimsuits come anywhere close to modest.  The Gospel standards are no tight clothing,  no low cut tops, and clothes should go to the knees.   Modern swimsuits fail on all counts.

On 2017-05-19 at 1:29 PM, pam said:

With several trips planned for the rest of the year including a cruise, I need to find a swimsuit that is modest.  I have been looking at tankinis with the shorts.  They are much better suited for my body than a one piece would be.  And I think that is part of the key to choosing something modest.  Choose something for your body style, not just because it's trending or cute.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-tee-rash-guard/id_247036?sku_0=::WE3

I think everyone is missing the intended definition of "hottest". In commerce, something is "hot" when it is trending.  People are buying a lot of it.  Just like when we have a "hot" topic on the forum.  She made a case that modest swimwear is gaining popularity.  In that sense, I believe it to be accurate.

"Hot" may be more accurate.  But it doesn't rhyme.

Edited by Guest

On 5/19/2017 at 5:59 AM, pam said:

I have to agree with the above comments. I hate the term with a passion.  Of course at my age I'm not aiming to be hottest.  I'm aiming to make sure that what should be covered is covered.  That's the single goal when choosing any kind of clothing.  That should be the goal of any female no matter the age.

AND any male.  There isn't a standard for women and another for men.  No tight or too short or too low cut applies to both.

22 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I think everyone is missing the intended definition of "hottest". In commerce, something is "hot" when it is trending.  People are buying a lot of it.  Just like when we have a "hot" topic on the forum.  She made a case that modest swimwear is gaining popularity.  In that sense, I believe it to be accurate.

"Hot" may be more accurate.  But it doesn't rhyme.

Just FYI for everyone: As the author of the article, I can safely say this is the intended meaning of the title. Thanks, Carborendum!

Edited by kashleyann

Also, note to self, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder so is "hottest." What one person might think is hot, hotter, hottest, another might think is gross, and any lack of virtue is not hot, hotter, nor hottest ergo, modest is hottest. It really depends on your personal view.

2 hours ago, kashleyann said:

Just FYI for everyone: As the author of the article, I can safely say this is the intended meaning of the title. Thanks, Carborendum!

I get what your intention was but.....  perhaps the title could have been different.  Most of us are familiar with the old "Modest is hottest" phrase.  So you can't blame our readers for immediately keying in on that phrase and thinking of the original meaning when it came out.   :)

42 minutes ago, pam said:

I get what your intention was but.....  perhaps the title could have been different.  Most of us are familiar with the old "Modest is hottest" phrase.  So you can't blame our readers for immediately keying in on that phrase and thinking of the original meaning when it came out.   :)

No blame at all! :) Just a clarification.

On 2017-5-23 at 0:34 PM, kashleyann said:

How are one piece suits modest according to church standards? 

On 5/24/2017 at 7:47 PM, Jojo Bags said:

How are one piece suits modest according to church standards? 

The Church doesn't have a standing list of what styles of swimsuit are appropriate, but General Authorities have given specific counsel to avoid clothing that doesn't cover the stomach or that is low cut. Years ago, the Church did have a specific guideline to not wear "two-piece" swimsuits, meaning bikinis. 

One-piece swimsuits certainly aren't the only style of modest swimsuit, and all one-piece swimsuits aren't necessarily modest (you can buy plenty of one-piece suits that have cutouts or dip really low in the front, for example), but they're one style that tends to cover more skin than some other styles.

Edited by kashleyann