Am I being called to the Mormon church?

Hi the last year I have felt a strong calling to the Mormon church. 

Basically I was raised Catholic but my family were never commited Catholics we just went on a Sunday. I moved and had my eldest son and didn't think much of any kind of faith. When my son was about two I just mulling over the idea that there really was a God.

I prayed over it and was sure in my heart it was true I attended an Alpha course and was baptised at my local Pentecostal church and I invited my husband to church and he also attended an Alpha course and was baptised. Part of a busy church we often felt lost and unfulfilled in church life and like we were in the wrong place. The church was very cliquey and only the pastor's favourites could be involved.

Three years ago we moved to a small community church it was great at first but eventually started to also get cliquey. Nobody was healed nobody was saved the teaching contradicted itself and nobody grew in their faith.

Then I saw meet the Mormons and was blown away some of the stories spoke to me on a very personal level. A few weeks later my husband was visited by two Mormon missionaries who invited him to church.

Finally a series of events lead to us moving my son schools to a school out of area. I was drawn to one mum right away her toddler was my babies middle name (very unusual name) and we have the same pram I rarely see anymore turns out she's the only Mormon mum in the school. .. Are we being called?

Welcome to the forum!  I would say that you're being given 'hints' and for a reason.  I will say though that even in the Mormon church as you call it, congregations are just full of people - imperfect people - just doing their best so focus on the doctrine and how you feel as you learn.  Again, welcome - glad to have you here.

I'm not 100% sure how to respond I suppose thats what's led me here. My children have huge ties in our current church and after years it would be sad to go.

The recent cliqueyness is more the final straw that we aren't in the right place. I've been struggling with my relationship with God and feeling something was lacking for a while but had been through so much with our church I wanted to stay. Now the atmosphere has changed I'm there for the kids and our close friends.

Just conflicted at the moment between what i feel God wants for my life and what my family want.

Welcome, @QuestioningMoma!  Glad to have you here. :)  I agree with the others, it does seem the Lord is leading you to specific experiences to help you learn and grow.  Now it's up to you to decide where to go next - I'm sure the missionaries would like to teach your whole family.  I hope your new Mormon friend would like to share her feelings with you, if you ask - don't be afraid, most of us want to share our faith, but often don't know how to start the conversation.

And, of course, we'll all be happy to answer your questions and have conversations here. :)

Great question! It reminded me a little bit of Joseph Smith. He, too, was searching for a church to join and was inspired to follow the counsel in James 1:5, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God. 

My suggestion is to pray about what is right for you and your family, and decide to follow whatever answer is given. Should you decide to join the LDS Church and be baptized, that doesn't mean you should give up your friendships with those from your previous churches, especially if they bring faith, hope, and joy into your life.

23 hours ago, QuestioningMoma said:

I'm not 100% sure how to respond I suppose thats what's led me here. My children have huge ties in our current church and after years it would be sad to go.

The recent cliqueyness is more the final straw that we aren't in the right place. I've been struggling with my relationship with God and feeling something was lacking for a while but had been through so much with our church I wanted to stay. Now the atmosphere has changed I'm there for the kids and our close friends.

Just conflicted at the moment between what i feel God wants for my life and what my family want.

I'm not sure what your Sunday schedule is like but would it be possible, as a transitional move, to attend a Sunday meeting in your existing church, for the sake of your kids and your friends, and then after that, on the same day, attend a meeting in an LDS church? The main meeting in an LDS church is only 70 minutes. 

My first reaction is to mourn that there would be cliques in Pentecostal churches. :cry:

My second is suggest some good, prayerful study of scriptures-beginning with the Bible. I'd suggest starting with a read through Acts, since your family is currently in a Pentecostal church. Ask yourself, and the Holy Spirit, what you are seeing in your current church that seems off (besides the cliques, of course). Ask God why you feel unsettled, and even that you're in the wrong place.

THEN, yes, visit an LDS ward. Again, ask the Holy Spirit to give you a discernment of the rightness/wrongness of what you see, hear and experience. LDS here are fond of saying that Joseph Smith came to his revelations in large part because he prayed for wisdom and truth (according to a passage in the book of James). Do that. Pray for wisdom and truth.

The Old Testament, New Testament, and Book of Mormon all promise that if you seek God with sincerity you will find him--and where He wants you to be.

• 5 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 4:34 AM, askandanswer said:

I'm not sure what your Sunday schedule is like but would it be possible, as a transitional move, to attend a Sunday meeting in your existing church, for the sake of your kids and your friends, and then after that, on the same day, attend a meeting in an LDS church? The main meeting in an LDS church is only 70 minutes. 

@QuestioningMoma I second this as a great idea, this is what I am doing at the moment as an investigator of the LDS church.  I go to Mass in the morning with my son and husband and attend LDS church in the afternoon.