Alma 42:30-31

30 O my son, I desire that ye should deny the ajustice of God no more. Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his bmercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in chumility.

31 And now, O my son, ye are called of God to apreach the word unto this people. And now, my son, go thy way, declare the word with truth and soberness, that thou mayest bbring souls unto repentance, that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them. And may God grant unto you even according to my words. Amen.

I find the use of the term "justice" in this passage to be unique in all of scripture.  If you can find another similar passage I'd like to know.  Most passages talk about the Justice of God as the Eternal punishment we'll receive after this life, or sometimes the punishment in this life.  But here it has a different meaning.

So often we talk of repentance as calling upon the mercy of God.  But here we're told that if we don't repent, we're denying ourselves of the "justice" of God.  The way I'm interpreting it is that by accepting His justice, we're brought down to the depths of humility.  And humility is a requisite characteristic of repentance.  And through repentance we may obtain God's mercy.

Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

I think you may be correct, that this passage has a unique take on justice, especially connecting it with humility. That being said, I do hear an echo of Micah 6:8...

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Micah's famous quote certainly links justice and humility, although with a different nuance than the passage from Alma.