A Sense of Urgency

Ankh_

I recently realized that I have always subconsciously thought that regardless of whether I do my part in the member missionary effort or not, all those people who I could have helped be brought unto Christ, will just somehow be brought in another way, by someone else. But I don't think that is how it works. That's not to suggest that most people will have many opportunities to accept the Gospel, but maybe I need to look at this from the perspective that.

If I decide not to act, potentially that soul I could have touched in that particular way may not ever come into the fold. Meaning that there should be a real sense of urgency because those people might really be lost because I didn't make an attempt. I wouldn't attempt to take it so far that it would suggest that their eternal salvation rests on me sharing my testimony that one time, but if seems right that there will be some eternal consequence of my decision not to serve, both for me and the other person. Would the Plan of Salvation allow for my inaction to affect the salvation of another? How is that any different from someone taking another person's life and ending their time early before the could accept the Gospel? Would they really not be saved another way or by someone else?

Unless there really is an urgency that souls will be forever lost unless I (we) share what has been given, all the members of the Church could just let the missionary work go on by and pass the buck to the spirit world to teach those that were prepared. It makes me think of how great our joy will be when we bring even one soul unto Christ. I think it is because it really does make a difference here and now and its not just the fact of bringing them to the Gospel "sooner" instead of wait until the spirit world.

Thoughts?

This reminds me of a talk that President Faust gave once.  He talked about a missionary that thought his mission was a complete failure because he had only baptized "one dirty little Irish kid."

Many years ago an elder who served a mission in the British Isles said at the end of his labors, “I think my mission has been a failure. I have labored all my days as a missionary here and I have only baptized one dirty little Irish kid. That is all I baptized.”

Years later, after his return to his home in Montana, he had a visitor come to his home who asked, “Are you the elder who served a mission in the British Isles in 1873?”

“Yes.”

Then the man went on, “And do you remember having said that you thought your mission was a failure because you had only baptized one dirty little Irish kid?”

He said, “Yes.”

The visitor put out his hand and said, “I would like to shake hands with you. My name is Charles A. Callis, of the Council of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am that dirty little Irish kid that you baptized on your mission.”15

That little Irish boy came to a knowledge of his potential as a son of God. Elder Callis left a lasting legacy for his large family. Serving as a mission president for 25 years and in his apostolic ministry for 13 years, he blessed the lives of literally thousands. I feel privileged to have known this great Apostle of the Lord when I was a young man.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2001/04/them-that-honour-me-i-will-honour?lang=eng

Think of the influence that this ONE person had on so many lives.  All because a missionary taught him.  Why wait until the spirit world to bless one when that one could bless so many here on earth.

D&C 18:15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

Sharing the Good News is something that brings tremendous joy to the giver and the receiver.  It is something we do for joy of everyone, not something to do because fear.  If you had any other good news, would you hesitate to share it with your friends- no!!  Why then hesitate and procrastinate sharing Christ's ultimate Good News? 

We should always try to live righteously so as to be moved upon by the spirit to reach out and teach others at the right moment. But, we shouldnt beat ourselves up constantly either speculating on what ifs or if we had missed on an opportunity and the moment is forever gone. Its important to remember that we too are still in the conversion process and dont always recognize how the spirit works and moves upon others to bring us closer to Christ. Our greatest sense of urgency should first be ourselves, getting our spirits more in tune with the Holy Ghost so that we are better prepared to do the work. Then, we should be focusing on our immediate homes and our family members. Our other stewardships then become easier to discern and we are more productive and able to help others. Whereas it is important to worry about the what ifs, the missed opportunities, etc, we should remember that tge small things such as a loving smile, a plate of cookies, and other simple heartfelt acts of kindness do more to persuade the wicked to turn from their ways and seek out Christ.

The spirit world and millennial reign of Christ will bring all those what ifs to naught and all will truly have the opportunity to serve Christ and learn of his ways.

1 hour ago, Ankh_ said:

I recently realized that I have always subconsciously thought that regardless of whether I do my part in the member missionary effort or not,.. I think it is because it really does make a difference here and now and its not just the fact of bringing them to the Gospel "sooner" instead of wait until the spirit world.

I think @Jane_Doehit it on the head.  When we do good works, the first level is understanding the results that can come of it.  But as Jane indicated, the motivation for us to do the work is the joy we will feel at seeing another soul come to Christ.

6 hours ago, Ankh_ said:

I recently realized that I have always subconsciously thought that regardless of whether I do my part in the member missionary effort or not, all those people who I could have helped be brought unto Christ, will just somehow be brought in another way, by someone else. But I don't think that is how it works. That's not to suggest that most people will have many opportunities to accept the Gospel, but maybe I need to look at this from the perspective that.

If I decide not to act, potentially that soul I could have touched in that particular way may not ever come into the fold. Meaning that there should be a real sense of urgency because those people might really be lost because I didn't make an attempt. I wouldn't attempt to take it so far that it would suggest that their eternal salvation rests on me sharing my testimony that one time, but if seems right that there will be some eternal consequence of my decision not to serve, both for me and the other person. Would the Plan of Salvation allow for my inaction to affect the salvation of another? How is that any different from someone taking another person's life and ending their time early before the could accept the Gospel? Would they really not be saved another way or by someone else?

Unless there really is an urgency that souls will be forever lost unless I (we) share what has been given, all the members of the Church could just let the missionary work go on by and pass the buck to the spirit world to teach those that were prepared. It makes me think of how great our joy will be when we bring even one soul unto Christ. I think it is because it really does make a difference here and now and its not just the fact of bringing them to the Gospel "sooner" instead of wait until the spirit world.

Thoughts?

Many years ago, when I was called to serve as a missionary – I thought and believed that I would be a great blessing for those in search of the truths of G-d.  What I discovered is that I was wrong and had everything backwards.   It was them that became a great blessing to me for the privilege of being even a small part of their journey home.

The Traveler

8 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

D&C 18:15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

Exactly what scripture I was going to quote!

Two things have helped me in my member mjssonary efforts:

1. I ask myself: do I care more about them knowing the truth or them liking me? For a long time, I didn't talk about faith experiences with others because I didn't want them thinking I was being pushy or turn the friendship awkward.

2. It is my sincere desire to help everyone in my path get at least one step closer to Christ. Baptism is only one of those steps; there are countless others to help with.

9 hours ago, Ankh_ said:

Thoughts?

"13 Therefore, let him contend earnestly ... saith the Lord; and when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice shall be more sacred unto me than his increase, saith the Lord." - D+C 117:13

Doing missionary work is as much for you as it is for them. Remember, the Celestial Kingdom is for those that prove in this life that they will do all Heavenly Father asks. Passively going about will not qualify you.