Multi faith questions

Hi!

I am currently planning an enrichment evening for Relief Society and I have a Buddhist a Muslim convert and an Evangelical Christian who are going to come and talk to us about their faith (they are friends of mine) so I'm going to write a question sheet for them to answer.

so far the questions I have are:

1, in your faith what is the nature of God?

2, What do you think happens when we die? 

3, do you fast and give to charity as a requirement of your faith?

4, what is the position of women?

5, what do you believe regarding the sanctity of life?

can anyone think of any more?

Okay, I'm just going to be honest with you.  I don't like this enrichment idea.

I am fine with having Buddhists, Muslims, etc. etc. for enrichment.  But this activity should be fellowship and not religious discussion... that is, you should ask cultural questions  such as...

1.)  What social structures in our community do you find as obstructions to your way of life?

2.)  What service do you hope the LDS can provide for your faith community?

3.)  What do you think about our public schools?

4.)  What kinds of movies do you like to watch?

and sure, 5.)  What is your position on legalization of abortion, gay marriage, etc.?

or 6.)  Do you celebrate anything, give gifts, etc., during Christmas Season?  Do you go trick-or-treating?  Do you go to the mall to take pictures with the Easter bunny?

That kind of thing.  There is no purpose in trying to learn what Muslims believe about God and their faith practices in an LDS Church Activity.  Church is the place where you can learn about THE TRUE GOSPEL.  If you're curious about what other people believe, go talk to them outside of Church activities.

Yes, this is just my 2 cents but I am putting this out here that I am PASSIONATELY against the OP's idea of faith discussions with non-LDS in an LDS Church Activity especially something that is called Enrichment.

Edited by anatess2

Ok... thanks for your input.  As you well know I live in the UK which is quite a secular country, in fact the Buddhist who is speaking is my husband and the Christian is also another non member husband of a church member.  The idea is about inclusion and showing that just because someone isn't LDS does not mean they don't have a moral structure etc... I am actually training to teach comparative religions and believe being on a religious path is better then no religion at all.   

Further more I teach RS and the ladies in my ward would like to know how to talk to other faiths and find common ground.

I am sorry you feel this passionately about it most reactions I've had have been really positive.

Guest LiterateParakeet

1) Sum up in one word or a brief phrase: What one quality does your faith consider the essence of what makes a "good person"?

2) Sum up in one word or a brief phrase: What one quality does your faith consider the essence of what makes a "bad person"?

3) What is your position on the concept of "tolerance"?

4) How does your faith proselyte?  (This may require the definition of the word "proselyte".)

5) What about your faith do you love the most?

6) What is something about your faith that you wish you could change?

7) What do you admire about another faith that does not exist very often in your own faith?

Edited by Guest

1. What does a typical worship service look like? (An LDS answer would describe Sunday meetings, emphasizing sacrament meeting as the most important.)

2. How do people of your faith learn the doctrine? (LDS answer: scripture study, prayer, and general conference)

3. What is one thing you wish others better understood about your faith/religion?

I think this is a fabulous idea if you live in a religiously diverse community. "...If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." Just last week, I shared five reasons I like to learn about other religions, and at the top of the list was opening myself up to faith promoting experiences, as well as finding common ground. I don't think that learning about what others believe means you have to agree with it. Sometimes, learning that someone sees something differently only reinforces my own belief. Example: the Trinity.

4 hours ago, An Investigator said:

If your religion were a fountain pen, which fountain pen would it be? ;)  I'm going to have to ponder this.  Do we go with an extra-fine nib for that whole "strait and narrow path" thing, or a double-broad nib because we want everyone to come?  The classic black, cigar-shaped pen, like a Montblanc 146 because we're a bit reserved; a Visconti because the doctrine is beautiful, or maybe a Karas Kustoms because we were "made in America"?  So many decisions.  Maybe mowing the lawn will lead to further insight...

4 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Hi!

I am currently planning an enrichment evening for Relief Society and I have a Buddhist a Muslim convert and an Evangelical Christian who are going to come and talk to us about their faith (they are friends of mine) so I'm going to write a question sheet for them to answer.

so far the questions I have are:

1, in your faith what is the nature of God?

2, What do you think happens when we die? 

3, do you fast and give to charity as a requirement of your faith?

4, what is the position of women?

5, what do you believe regarding the sanctity of life?

What is an important holy day and how do you celebrate it? Any particular food or dress associated?

How do children learn your faith?

How are births celebrated? How are deaths mourned?

Any questions for us?

1. In buddism why do some of their statues have them posing with signs that are similar to some of the hands signs we use in LDS temples? https://blog.gaijinpot.com/great-buddha-gifu/ - Do the buddist followers use these signs in any part of their worship? Just reconfirms to me that there is truth every where.

- on a side note, I think Anatess makes a valid point, although you may be the RS leader I think you might want to also run this enrichment meeting idea across bishop for his thoughts. I can see a conflict in the sense that any time spent within the church walls should be for building our own faith and religion not learning about other religions.