So what is nice about your State/Province/County?

Sunday21

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I think the first quote answers the first.  It simply makes no sense to tell the populace to not harm a person in the process of committing a felony and then expect them to stop you when you're in the process of committing a felony.

In Britain, a woman "brandished" a kitchen knife at a would be burglar also with a knife.  The burglar went to the police and told them that she brandished it at him.  She got arrested and was convicted of that crime even though the burglar went scott free.  He was not arrested for the burglary because he reported it first and was unsuccessful anyway.

You still don't think C is headed where GB is?

Well I know that you cannot shot a robber in the back. If you shot a robber in the back, you will be charged.

Guest Godless
12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

LOTS of water.  I used to live in Colorado where it was so dry you wondered why it wasn't a desert.  Texas has lots of vegetation.  Gardens grow SO easily (as long as you can get enough sun through all the trees.  Of, course, this is more true near the coast (such as Houston) than other areas.  Soil is really fertile.  You hardly have to do anything once you plant a tree.  Native grapes grow without the annual trimming requirement.

I was going to disagree with you, but then I noticed the portion that I underlined. Yes, the soil and volume of vegetation is far different in your area than mine.

Here's the things I like about Texas:

Barbecue - Even our sub-par bbq (I'm looking at you, Bill Miller) is better than most bbq you'll find out-of-state. 

High speed limits - Relative to my home state of Maryland, anyway.

Guns - Yes, I like guns. And yes, I'm fine with strict background checks to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. I'm not a fan of open carry.

The San Antonio Spurs - It's very hard to live in this city and not love the Spurs. Such a great organization from the top down.

Tacos -  Especially barbacoa (but not with Big Red, as is the custom down here). I'm a sucker for breakfast tacos too. 

No income tax 

Great job market - This is the reason why I moved here in the first place. San Antonio was growing rapidly when I moved here in '06, and it still is over a decade later. 

2 minutes ago, Godless said:

I'm not a fan of open carry.

That's just because your wife gave you one with a pink grip for your anniversary and you can't replace it because it was a gift from your wife and you're too embarrassed to wear it for the world to see. ;)

(teasing)

@Carborendum

Let's look at these websites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate this says that's wrong.This list is not in order of magnitude of violence. I can see why it is confusing. Note: Canada's rate is 1.5, US is 3.9

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low So does this.  (Most recent).

And you can reduce those numbers by 16% if you take out illegal immigrants from the equation.  Yes, 16% of violent crimes in the US are committed by illegal immigrants.

Not only that, but look at this: Not sure what you mean. We have fewer illegals because we forgive.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

This last one essentially says that your murder rate without guns is higher than the US rate without guns.(I only see US data here. I think you are trying to snow me. )

And people don't need guns to to a mass murder

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/07/france_truck_attack_death_toll.html (Well no but it helps).

If you look at the numbers 1.5 vs 3.5, you think,"Why!  That's more than twice as much!" Yes, but when you look at other countries in the world with 50 or 60, you realize that we're in the same category of "fairly safe" countries.(Are you referring to website here. When I put above in. I got the message that this website does not exist. )

Now look at these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate (Dude. You are at 10.54 and we are at 1.9. Seriously!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/06/zero-correlation-between-state-homicide-rate-and-state-gun-laws/?utm_term=.a3492cdff823 (Not sure but Canada vs US rates are way different)

Carb, seriously!

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@Carborendum

Let's look at these websites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate this says that's wrong.This list is not in order of magnitude of violence. I can see why it is confusing. Note: Canada's rate is 1.5, US is 3.9

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low So does this.  (Most recent).

And you can reduce those numbers by 16% if you take out illegal immigrants from the equation.  Yes, 16% of violent crimes in the US are committed by illegal immigrants.

Not only that, but look at this: Not sure what you mean. We have fewer illegals because we forgive.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

This last one essentially says that your murder rate without guns is higher than the US rate without guns.(I only see US data here. I think you are trying to snow me. )

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/07/france_truck_attack_death_toll.html (Well no but it helps).

If you look at the numbers 1.5 vs 3.5, you think,"Why!  That's more than twice as much!" Yes, but when you look at other countries in the world with 50 or 60, you realize that we're in the same category of "fairly safe" countries.(Are you referring to website here. When I put above in. I got the message that this website does not exist. )

Now look at these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate (Dude. You are at 10.54 and we are at 1.9. Seriously!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/06/zero-correlation-between-state-homicide-rate-and-state-gun-laws/?utm_term=.a3492cdff823 (Not sure but Canada vs US rates are way different)

Carb, seriously!

@Sunday21 that is all very interesting and should be taken more seriously by the states. 

That said, US gun advocates (in fairness I am one of them. I own several guns) also could teach Canada some lessons too. If you live rural (like I do) it's in your best interest to look into firearm ownership. If someone breaks into my house my pit bull might not be enough to stop them. I want the beautiful LG to be able to defend herself. The other troubling aspect is that some people live even more rural than I do and need the gun to protect themselves not from people, but from animals. If I'm backpacking in rural Montana, I'm going to carry a powerful firearm so a Grizzly bear doesn't have the full advantage in the rare case I surprise one! 

Now, don't fall into the trap that all gun owners are trigger happy and violent. Like 99.9% of gun owners I hope and pray to God I never, ever, ever have to use one. Also, Americans don't live in constant fear of gun violence. In fact, living in Florida many people carry openly and the majority of the population doesn't care or worry. 

29 minutes ago, Godless said:

I was going to disagree with you, but then I noticed the portion that I underlined. Yes, the soil and volume of vegetation is far different in your area than mine.

Barbecue - Even our sub-par bbq (I'm looking at you, Bill Miller) is better than most bbq you'll find out-of-state. 

Guns - Yes, I like guns. And yes, I'm fine with strict background checks to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. I'm not a fan of open carry.

The San Antonio Spurs - It's very hard to live in this city and not love the Spurs. Such a great organization from the top down.

Tacos -  Especially barbacoa (but not with Big Red, as is the custom down here). I'm a sucker for breakfast tacos too. 

No income tax 

Great job market - This is the reason why I moved here in the first place. San Antonio was growing rapidly when I moved here in '06, and it still is over a decade later. 

And cheap houses.  Well, not in downtown Houston.

My sister's house is 100K cheaper than mine and 800 sq ft bigger.

And the spaghetti freeways.  Well, maybe this is just Houston but everytime I drive to the zoo I picture this 3 year old kid standing over a map of Houston, closing his eyes and then putting his finger on the map... there, let's build a freeway there.  And there.  And there.

25 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Ultimately, all that argument is irrelevant. Keeping and bearing (carrying) arms is a right. It is self-existent, granted by God (or nature). Rights are not granted by a government. We have them by the very nature of our existence. Murder rate based on weapon used is utterly irrelevant.

Guest Godless
8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And cheap houses.  Well, not in downtown Houston.

My sister's house is 100K cheaper than mine and 800 sq ft bigger.

We haven't bought a house yet, but my first apartment was a very nice 733 sq/ft 1 bedroom that cost the exact same rent as the tiny studio apartment that one of my friends was renting in the Baltimore suburbs. 

And the spaghetti freeways.  Well, maybe this is just Houston but everytime I drive to the zoo I picture this 3 year old kid standing over a map of Houston, closing his eyes and then putting his finger on the map... there, let's build a freeway there.  And there.  And there.

Ugh, don't get me started on driving in Houston. Austin isn't great either. San Antonio's layout is much better. 

Edited by Godless

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I wonder if this is why I keep seeing Canadians with a red maple leaf on their label?

Tattooed on their cheek, man.

But, let me just give you a tip from a Filipino living in America.

You're volleyballing statistics with @Carborendum but those are all irrelevant.  Really.  It is.  You can't compare statistics between Canada and the US because you are talking about 2 completely different cultural mindset.  And this cultural mindset is codified into the Constitution.  Canada will have to conquer the US for that to change.

So, you are better off trying to understand this mindset because OBVIOUSLY, America is a very successful country where a lot of people want to go to and enjoy its privileges without fear of randomly getting killed by a firearm even when there are more guns in the US than there are people.  Well, of course, you can just say... there are guns there I'm just gonna stay in Canada.  Because, gun laws doesn't matter - Chicago for example is a city with strict gun control laws... yet there are more people killed by guns in Chicago than any city in Texas.  Or Utah, for that matter.

So, what's the mindset?  INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY.  This means - you, and nobody else, is responsible for defending your rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Because, it doesn't matter if the law says you have a right to live if you can't defend that right.  Therefore, the 1st Amendment is the declaration of your most important rights.  The 2nd Amendment declares every American's ability to defend that right.  No other argument matters.

In Canada, Canadians have handed over the defense of their rights to the government in the same manner that they handed over most everything else.  So that, if Canada gets overrun by Islamic terrorists with a plan to wipe out every Canadian, and Trudeau and the Canadian military gets completely overrun, every single Canadian is going to die unless they seek American protection.

Not in America.  In America, even if  ISIS fighters end up overrunning the military and law enforcement, the people are not going to flee to Canada.  American households have full power to fight ISIS and live.  But yeah, people in New York City and Los Angeles will probably be fleeing to Texas.

Edited by anatess2

21 minutes ago, Godless said:

We haven't bought a house yet, but my first apartment was a very nice 733 sq/ft 1 bedroom that cost the exact same rent as the tiny studio apartment that one of my friends was renting in the Baltimore suburbs. 

Ugh, don't get me started on driving in Houston. Austin isn't great either. San Antonio's layout is much better. 

Well, you can fit San Antonio in the Houston Zoo.  Yes, hyperbole.  :D

@anatess2

Yes this is an interesting difference. The individual liberty concept is very different. In general, I find the idea that my government would wish to harm me puzzling..but no doubt my C'ian government has done a lot of bad things that I don't know about. Yep..individual liberty. I can do something with this researchwise! Wish I had thought of this before! Tasty crosscultural difference! Relates to aggression. I must use this!

3 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@anatess2

Yes this is an interesting difference. The individual liberty concept is very different. In general, I find the idea that my government would wish to harm me puzzling..but no doubt my C'ian government has done a lot of bad things that I don't know about. Yep..individual liberty. I can do something with this researchwise! Wish I had thought of this before! Tasty crosscultural difference! Relates to aggression. I must use this!

It's not just your government wishing to harm you.  It's also your government failing to protect you.  Especially with Trudeau.  I'm sorry to say but he's a doofus.

Edited by anatess2

I wonder how this individual rights, rights are given by God (really? This is interesting.) I wonder though how this relates to work? Yes lots of fodder here! But I suspect that though I find this fascinating, that US journals would not. Differences between Canada and US are probably only of interest to Canadians.

Guest Godless
8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, you can fit San Antonio in the Houston Zoo.  Yes, hyperbole.  :D

Lol, we say the same thing about Austin and the SA zoo.

4 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I wonder how this individual rights, rights are given by God (really? This is interesting.) I wonder though how this relates to work? Yes lots of fodder here! But I suspect that though I find this fascinating, that US journals would not. Differences between Canada and US are probably only of interest to Canadians.

Yes, your rights are INALIENABLE to you because you are human.  It's not given to you by your mother, it's not granted to you by your government.  Therefore, neither your mother nor your government can take it away from you.  The only way you can lose your rights is if you stop being human. 

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, Godless said:

Barbecue - Even our sub-par bbq (I'm looking at you, Bill Miller) is better than most bbq you'll find out-of-state. I've never really cared for Texas style BBQ.  I'm more of a Korean BBQ guy.  VERY DIFFERENT.

High speed limits - Relative to my home state of Maryland, anyway. YES!!!

Guns - Yes, I like guns. And yes, I'm fine with strict background checks to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. I'm not a fan of open carry.I'm not a fan either simply because it is bad OPSEC.  But from the position of personal liberty, I think it should be a right.

The San Antonio Spurs - It's very hard to live in this city and not love the Spurs. Such a great organization from the top down.Not into sports.  Sorry.

Tacos -  Especially barbacoa (but not with Big Red, as is the custom down here). I'm a sucker for breakfast tacos too. I just went to Taco Cabana with a friend of mine today.  For a fast food place, it is dang good!  He'd lived here for 5 years and never been to Taco Cabana.  He loved it.

No income tax I mentioned that as well

Great job market - This is the reason why I moved here in the first place. San Antonio was growing rapidly when I moved here in '06, and it still is over a decade later. I mentioned that as well

So, just because we're talking about it...

My 13-year-old son has...

a Winchester .270

a Mosin Nagant from 1944 WWII

a VZ-something.  VZ58, I think. From the Korean War.

a Rutger .22 (for target practice and scaring these 2 smart fat squirrels off the bird feeder, yes he is under strict orders not to kill my squirrels).

He also uses his brother's 12-guage shotgun more than his brother does.  He likes clay target shooting.

Yes, it is legal here for teen-agers to have a rifle if their parent gave it to them.  It is illegal for them to get one for themselves.  Yes, he can go shooting with his rifles as long as a responsible adult is with him.

Yes, you are safe in my city and in my house.  Even from my kids' snakes.  We don't have murder guns.  We only have sport and protection guns. :rolleyes:

After my mission I was a flight attendant for 4 years. While I mostly did international flights (Japan) I wasn't senior enough to hold a regular schedule so got pulled into fill allot of domestic flights. My experience lead me to firmly believe that if you look at a map of the last election, Electoral Map 2016, the red states are where you will generally find the most polite and kind people. I came to that conclusion far before I had a single political thought. I remember the cities I would try to avoid flying was San Francisco, New York (I lived in Manhattan a year and loved New York but New Yorkers make great neighbors and disgusting strangers) and sadly Seattle where I was based for 3 of those years and ended raising my kids for the next 14 years. I liked people from Utah but consistently found that my excitement at running into another member of the Church was never ever reciprocated. Even though I can understand being raised in an environment where most people are LDS might lessen the joy of finding a member somewhere I can't help but feel a little jaded that I'm treated like some weird grinning stranger, even though I'm a weird grinning stranger. 

Now I live in Florida with these other two (Anatess and Gaterboy). I kiteboard, surf and stand up paddle board so I love the access to the beaches. The more North you go in Florida, the more South you go, and people seem more friendly. I am moving soon to Stuart from Boca Raton and really glad to be moving away from the city of Ariana Grande. If you ever saw her "I hate America" doughnut licking epsiode this is typical how these privledged kids behave. My older kids survived (barely) and glad my youngest gets to go to a place where the kids are raised a little better. 

So yeah, Florida. Beaches, Disneyland, Universal Studios Harry Potter World (I love it but hate crowds so go maybe once every couple of years), Sunny skies, Mango trees, Jerk Chicken,  beautiful diverse population, Republican Governor. 

I just got back from Portland, Oregon to see my sons debut concert, he who moved there with his band-mates from Florida. They love it. All of them work in the service industry and have PTSD from SE Florida. Whenever they see a man in a business suit they expect the worst and are always pleasantly surprised at how kind and human they are. Much love to the motherland! I'd move back there in a heart beat. The Gorge, Ocean, Mount Hood..love it all.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate this says that's wrong.This list is not in order of magnitude of violence. I can see why it is confusing. Note: Canada's rate is 1.5, US is 3.9

2) Not only that, but look at this: Not sure what you mean. We have fewer illegals because we forgive.

3) This last one essentially says that your murder rate without guns is higher than the US rate without guns.(I only see US data here. I think you are trying to snow me. )

4) http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/07/france_truck_attack_death_toll.html (Well no but it helps).

5) If you look at the numbers 1.5 vs 3.5, you think,"Why!  That's more than twice as much!" Yes, but when you look at other countries in the world with 50 or 60, you realize that we're in the same category of "fairly safe" countries.(Are you referring to website here. When I put above in. I got the message that this website does not exist. )

Now look at these:

6) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate (Dude. You are at 10.54 and we are at 1.9. Seriously!)

7) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/06/zero-correlation-between-state-homicide-rate-and-state-gun-laws/?utm_term=.a3492cdff823 (Not sure but Canada vs US rates are way different)

8) Carb, seriously!

1) My point was that the 3.9 was "oh so very different" than the 5.5 cited by your link.  This sarcasm was a lead into #5.

2) The homicide rate in Canada is not impacted much by your immigrant population.  Ours is.  That was the point of the statistic.  Yes, you can find websites that try to diminish it by statistical manipulation.  But the fact remains, a disproportionate number of our gun related homicides is due to our illegal immigrant population.

3) Yes, that was US data.  I had assumed you already had Canadian data.  Look it up.  It's been a few hours and I've lost the site I got the info off of.  Sorry.  I had to attend to business.

4) If that's the defense, then you'd better disarm the Canadian government as well.  Governments have been responsible for more murders than any other individual, group, or societal force.  You want to stop the most violence by eliminating any one thing?  Get rid of government.  Oh, that's a bad idea because... reasons.  Well, getting rid of guns in the civilian population is also a bad idea.

5) I was referring back to the link in #1 above.

6) You misread the table.  That was TOTAL deaths by gun.  We're only talking about intentional homicides, remember?

7) The data in that article indicates that gun laws don't make much of a difference unless you REALLY get rid of guns or you REALLY have a LOT of guns by law abiding citizens.  Anything in between doesn't seem to have any correlation between gun laws or practices vs gun homicides.

8) Yes, seriously.

1 hour ago, Godless said:

No income tax 

I really liked Texas. My wife did undergrad in Fort Worth. In a recent trip to Austin, I couldn't believe how many homeless there were though. I think overall Texas has the best food of any state hands down.

Alberta

Banff and Jasper National Parks

Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller

No sales tax

Edmonton Oilers (yes the Calgary Flames are also part of Alberta but the Oilers are better. And if you have mic problems the Oilers fans can help you sing the Star-Spangled Banner.)

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/edmonton-oilers-fans-sing-star-spangled-banner-after-singer-brett-kissels-microphone-fails

M.

24 minutes ago, Windseeker said:

I really liked Texas. My wife did undergrad in Fort Worth. In a recent trip to Austin, I couldn't believe how many homeless there were though. I think overall Texas has the best food of any state hands down.

Actually, there aren't as many homeless as there appear to be.  Many of the panhandlers, for instance, actually have homes.  That is just how they make their living.  And some of them do quite well.  Between the panhandling and the welfare checks they get, they can make an average living or better.

Edited by Guest