2 Nephi Chapter 9 - May 31, 2017

pam

My biggest takeaway from this go-round is in verse 51. 

"Wherefore, do not spend money on that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy."

The past month, my employer has issued a step challenge. Each week, whoever gets the most steps gets a gift card and then there's a random drawing for everyone who averaged 10,000 steps a day. My major hobbies (crochet, reading, and writing) are pretty sedentary, although if the weather permits, I'll read while I walk. In order to meet the challenge, I've had to change my priorities quite a bit, and it's got my wheels turning about what is really and truly important to me. There's one girl who gets 20-30,000 steps a day. She's trying to get to a healthier weight, so is working out before and after work and sometimes over lunch hour. It is consuming her, and it's turning others to be consumed with their appearance. 

So, the verses in this chapter regarding the resurrection were also viewed in light of this step challenge and its consequences.

• 1 year later...

I have been trying to sort out v.26, and have taken a significant amount of time doing so.  Jacob states that "those who have not the law given" are "restored to that God who gave them breath."  From reading the verse in the context of the entire chapter, Jacob is saying that those without the Gospel of Jesus Christ are saved from death (through resurrection), pre-resurrection judgment (through the ability to accept the Gospel in spirit prison), and post-resurrection judgment (i.e. eternal damnation).  Other texts and the footnotes refer to these individuals' ability to accept the Gospel, repent, and be saved in God's kingdom.  However, Jacob uses no qualifying term and says that these individuals "are" restored to God, rather than they "may be" restored to God if they choose righteousness.  So how can we explain why Jacob used the term "are"?  Is it just inferred that there are some qualifications one who is not given the law must make before entering the Kingdom of God?  Any insights would be appreciated.