So an Atheist and a Mormon Sit Next to Each Other on a Plane …

It sounds like the beginning of a lame joke, but that’s how my day started. You know those stories you hear in testimony meeting about somebody on a bus having the distinct impression to strike up a gospel conversation with the person sitting next to them? They get to talking, the stranger ends up meeting with the missionaries and before you know it—baptism. That’s what I was shooting for. In my head we’d exchange names and pleasantries. “What’s taking you to Melbourne?” I’d ask. I’d listen intently and then he’d ask me the same question. “I work with the Public Affairs Department in my church and am headed to cover some initiatives underway having to do with The Book of Mormon Musical, which is playing in Melbourne,” I’d say. An advertisement for The Book of Mormon Musical in Melbourne, Australia. Bam. Operation spread the gospel is a go. Or at least, it would have been. Things went a lot better in my head. In all reality the conversation did start out well,...

View the full article

I guess the Mormon wouldn't walk into a bar.

BSF,

I think it is unscientific, unfair, illogical, and immoral (dang it I couldn't think of an "un-" that would have sufficed for the last two) to expect that I can spend  months of study carefully studying out arguments against and expect my opposition to think of counter arguments on the spot.  But I guess the atheist didn't care about science, fairness, logic, or morality.

Edited by Guest