Latest on Vidangel

Sunday21

NETFLIX® IS COMING SOON
Hold onto your popcorn, Alpha Angels. This is not a drill. In the very near future you will be able to link your Netflix® account to VidAngel Alpha and have access to OVER 400 more movies and TV episodes. 

We have NOT released the new app yet! But we plan to within the week. As soon as we do, we will send you an email with instructions to update your VidAngel app and link your Netflix® account.

IMPORTANT: When we release the new app, your current app WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY for either Amazon Prime® or Netflix® movies until you update it.

[Perhaps one could filter the movies and shows found on Netflix? I could finally watch Game of Thrones?}]

4 hours ago, eddified said:

This stuff is covered by the NDA. Technically they can sue you for $1,000 since you are talking about this stuff here, publicly. Just FYI. And no, I'm not going to tattle on you :P 

So this doesn't apply to the USA?

• 2 weeks later...

Yay - they're back with a new business model!  Now you link VidAngel up to your Amazon or Hulu or Netflix account, and filter stuff that way.  They're billing themselves as just an automated way of viewers hitting the fast forward and mute buttons, something done by millions of families as they self-censor content.  

Good on them.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Has anyone tried this?

I hope it works.  I have always wanted to see Easy Rider.  (after years of listening to its soundtrack)

Edited by DoctorLemon

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I was hoping to see Game of Thrones but the first season is, I hear, too disgusting to salvage with bleeping. I watched 5 year engagement with bleeping. Some whole segments were unintelligible!

I remember wanting to post this commercial a few months ago but don't think I ever did. This discussion seems like a good second chance for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 7:33 PM, SilentOne said:

I remember wanting to post this commercial a few months ago but don't think I ever did. This discussion seems like a good second chance for it.

Is that the same actor as on the Squatty Potty commercial?

I don't know why, but ClearPlay apparently lets me watch filtered movies on Amazon for free. (Well I pay for the Amazon content, but the filtering is free). I don't even have a ClearPlay account! It works using a Chrome browser extension, provided by ClearPlay. I can then cast the movie to my TV using Chromecast. Not the best experience since I have to use a laptop (the Roku would be better). But free?! Wow. 

I watched "Star Trek Beyond" this way this week so I know it works. 

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread 2 years later because there's recent news:

https://blog.vidangel.com/2019/06/21/open-letter-to-disney-ceo/?utm_source=VidAngel+Investors&utm_campaign=a3e7a54ba7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_18_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d9f1b39c3d-a3e7a54ba7-190166121

Letter From VidAngel CEO to Disney CEO

Here’s What We Propose

We understand you want to protect your Intellectual Property.  You understand that VidAngel’s customers want to skip a few things in your movies in private. If the financial minds rather than the power minds within Disney prevail, this could be a solution.

We are prepared to consider giving Disney our Dry Bar Comedy series in satisfaction of the judgment. Dry Bar Comedy is the fastest growing comedy brand in the world with over 1.5 billion views to date. It is making millions. It is growing so fast because the creators are embracing the data behind the skips of families. You could publish its family friendly comedy on Disney+.

With the so called “debt” settled, VidAngel could freely transfer the “filtering” assets to the Skip Foundation and emerge from bankruptcy. “Filtering” would survive as “skipping”, regardless of VidAngel’s future fate. And Disney could profit from both the skip data and Dry Bar Comedy.

This proposal would settle the judgement, respect Disney’s IP, and grow Disney profit. VidAngel would be free to focus on The Chosen, VidAngel Studios, and generating profits for its own investors, while enjoying the benefits of the Skip Foundation.

I won’t hold my breath for your response and we are already preparing our appeal, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. The IMP and Sony Betamax cases changed the industry, but they dragged on for almost a decade. Change is coming. You can fight it or profit from it. What do you say? Are you open to meeting?

Disney’s will not deal.  

First, because they don’t want to deal.  The last twenty years have shown that they and the other big studios aim to ensure that we get the full filth they produce for us (and not an F-bomb less!).  They believe that we can’t live without them, and that will accept the coarsening and profligacy they offer to society.  (So far, they’ve been right.)

And second, because—I’m sorry, VidAngel; I like Dry Bar as well as the next guy, but it ain’t worth no $62 million.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Disney’s will not deal.  

First, because they don’t want to deal.  The last twenty years have shown that they and the other big studios aim to ensure that we get the full filth they produce for us (and not an F-bomb less!).  They believe that we can’t live without them, and that will accept the coarsening and profligacy they offer to society.  (So far, they’ve been right.)

And second, because—I’m sorry, VidAngel; I like Dry Bar as well as the next guy, but it ain’t worth no $62 million.

thirdly, just because VidAngel isn't offering anything that Disney wants. It's that simple. 

As a general rule, you don't negotiate for things that have no value to you. 

33 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

thirdly, just because VidAngel isn't offering anything that Disney wants. It's that simple. 

As a general rule, you don't negotiate for things that have no value to you. 

Indeed.  If Disney wanted a clean comedy franchise, they’d have started one long ago—and it’d be awesome, and it would be a juggernaut.  

They don’t want one.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

Indeed.  If Disney wanted a clean comedy franchise, they’d have started one long ago—and it’d be awesome, and it would be a juggernaut.  

No, that's actually not how it works. 

What Disney wants is money. If the public wanted squeaky clean, G rated movies, Disney would give them what they want. If the public doesn't want that, than Disney does not provide it. It's really that simple. 

Guest MormonGator

I find it hugely fascinating how Disney is treated. The right hates them because of they won't forbid homosexuals from entering the park. The left hates them because they are big, nasty company that doesn't pay the employees well. The right hates them because golly, they do things slightly more "edgy" than Saved by the Bell. The left hates them because they don't present strong female characters or have openly gay ones.

In other words, haters gonna hate. 

*In the interest of fairness my wife and I are annual pass holders and we go there all the time. We don't watch the movies though, we just love the parks. 

Edited by MormonGator