Astral Projection? What do you guys know about it?

So I've always been fascinated with dreams, and have been working towards being able to lucidly dream (being aware that you're dreaming while still asleep, so you can like, control stuff and whatnot) and recently when reading about it I stumbled across astral projection. Basically, astral projection is when your soul, or your conscious, or whatever, leaves your body and you can go places and fly around without your body. Think of an out of body experience, stuff like that. Now, I always thought this was some fairy tale stuff that wizards do and whatnot, but there are people that say they can do it and that people can learn how to do it as well. I was wondering what you guys thought about it, if it's a bad thing, and if it's really something worth looking in to.

I have often heard that the Church counsels against it.  I have yet to see a quote about it.

The truth is that I'm not certain whether it is a real phenomenon or not.  If it is not real, then I see why there is no quote on it.  Why bother counseling against something that doesn't exist?  

If it is a real phenomenon, why would you do it?  If it is to obtain "greater spiritual awareness" it seems to me a New Age version of the Tower of Babel.  Or, worse, it would open up the body for possession.  The dangers seem to outweigh any benefits that may or may not be obtained.

My Experience:

I heard about AP when I was a teenager.  I was taught how to do it (by a practicing Wiccan in my High School).  I was never told anything was wrong with it.  So, I began practicing.  It took many trials (as I'd been told it would take) before I noticed anything at all other than great relaxation that helped me sleep.

After some time, I noticed some feelings that could easily have been psycho-somatic (emphasis on the psycho).  Then finally, after many trials, I felt something very different.  My body felt like pins and needles from having a body part fall asleep.  It went over my whole body except for my head.  A moment later, I felt a dark panic come across me.  I had to stop.  I opened my eyes and found I'd been sweating.

I don't know what that was.  I don't know if I panicked because the Spirit was telling me to stop or if an evil spirit was entering.  It may have simply been that the pins and needles were an extremely uncomfortable sensation.  I don't know.  I still don't know if AP is real or not.  But I never tried it again.

Since then I'd heard much more advice to stay away from it.  And despite the lack of direct quotes from Church authorities, I wasn't going to put up a fight.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I have often heard that the Church counsels against it.  I have yet to see a quote about it.

The truth is that I'm not certain whether it is a real phenomenon or not.  If it is not real, then I see why there is no quote on it.  Why bother counseling against something that doesn't exist?  

If it is a real phenomenon, why would you do it?  If it is to obtain "greater spiritual awareness" it seems to me a New Age version of the Tower of Babel.  Or, worse, it would open up the body for possession.  The dangers seem to outweigh any benefits that may or may not be obtained.

My Experience:

I heard about AP when I was a teenager.  I was taught how to do it (by a practicing Wiccan in my High School).  I was never told anything was wrong with it.  So, I began practicing.  It took many trials (as I'd been told it would take) before I noticed anything at all other than great relaxation that helped me sleep.

After some time, I noticed some feelings that could easily have been psycho-somatic (emphasis on the psycho).  Then finally, after many trials, I felt something very different.  My body felt like pins and needles from having a body part fall asleep.  It went over my whole body except for my head.  A moment later, I felt a dark panic come across me.  I had to stop.  I opened my eyes and found I'd been sweating.

I don't know what that was.  I don't know if I panicked because the Spirit was telling me to stop or if an evil spirit was entering.  It may have simply been that the pins and needles were an extremely uncomfortable sensation.  I don't know.  I still don't know if AP is real or not.  But I never tried it again.

Since then I'd heard much more advice to stay away from it.  And despite the lack of direct quotes from Church authorities, I wasn't going to put up a fight.

I've been reading about it online, and some people say that the beings in the astral plane are drawn towards a negative conscience. I've also heard that they cannot hurt you, and that if you ignore them and think of something else that they will go away. I've read some similar stories where people had an out of body experience and it was terrifying, and that they never tried it again. They say you need to be prepared for an astral projection, otherwise it might catch you off guard.

Personally, I'd be astral projecting for the sake of exploration. I've always wanted magic to be real, and this seems as close as it gets. So I guess above all I'm just super excited that something magical like this could actually exist.

4 hours ago, Sylvan Evergreen said:

So I've always been fascinated with dreams, and have been working towards being able to lucidly dream (being aware that you're dreaming while still asleep, so you can like, control stuff and whatnot) and recently when reading about it I stumbled across astral projection. Basically, astral projection is when your soul, or your conscious, or whatever, leaves your body and you can go places and fly around without your body. Think of an out of body experience, stuff like that. Now, I always thought this was some fairy tale stuff that wizards do and whatnot, but there are people that say they can do it and that people can learn how to do it as well. I was wondering what you guys thought about it, if it's a bad thing, and if it's really something worth looking in to.

Just off hand it sounds sketchy. We worked so hard to receive these bodies and they are one of the greatest gifts God gave us. Trying to leave it just seems off 

5 hours ago, Sylvan Evergreen said:

Personally, I'd be astral projecting for the sake of exploration. I've always wanted magic to be real, and this seems as close as it gets. So I guess above all I'm just super excited that something magical like this could actually exist.

What would you be hoping to explore?  Would it really be that different than Google Earth?  What would be the point?  If you want to explore, go outside and explore.  I guarantee that the limited exploration you would have (because of time and money) in real life would be 1000 times more valuable than essentially a virtual tour through projection.

As far as the magic end of things, now you're getting into Satan's counterfeits.  Do you really want to know about "magic" or do you want to know about the Power of God?  THAT is as close as it gets.  Because it is magic.

I could share some stories in my life that you'd have to call magic.  But it was the Power of God.  That is the goal you should be reaching for.  Anything else is settling for less.  Do you really want to do that when witnessing "magic"?

And again, I'm not sure if it is a real thing anyway.  Do you want to spend a lot of hope and time into something that doesn't really promise any Eternal benefits?  You might as well burn hours each day playing computer games or wasting time on an internet forum... errmm..

Edited by Guest

If I were to speak liberally in this regard, I would say I'd allow that perhaps there are certain individuals who have this as a legitimate gift. 

And thus question anyone without this gift who was seeking it through ways contrary to this gospel.

I went to high school with a very bright guy, Rick. He was famous in the high school for his intelligence but he had a lot of personal problems. He was not allowed to go to medical school because of his lack of interpersonal skills. (I am not sure about now but at that time to get into med school, they interviewed you). He and my brother were into meditation and such. Rick joined a society in which they did things like meditate until you can rise from the floor. Rick studied for years and was the best. They were very proud of him. How far did he actually rise from the floor? Not the smallest, tiniest bit! 

36 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I went to high school with a very bright guy, Rick. He was famous in the high school for his intelligence but he had a lot of personal problems. He was not allowed to go to medical school because of his lack of interpersonal skills. (I am not sure about now but at that time to get into med school, they interviewed you). He and my brother were into meditation and such. Rick joined a society in which they did things like meditate until you can rise from the floor. Rick studied for years and was the best. They were very proud of him. How far did he actually rise from the floor? Not the smallest, tiniest bit! 

"I'd be a richer man today if it weren't for physics

If I could levitate I'd sell lots of tickets

And maybe do an interview with Larry King

While floating"

On 5/30/2017 at 8:15 AM, Sylvan Evergreen said:

I've been reading about it online, and some people say that the beings in the astral plane are drawn towards a negative conscience. I've also heard that they cannot hurt you, and that if you ignore them and think of something else that they will go away. I've read some similar stories where people had an out of body experience and it was terrifying, and that they never tried it again. They say you need to be prepared for an astral projection, otherwise it might catch you off guard.

Be careful with what you are seeking. The power and apparant "magic" of Satan are real. Ive seen magic with ouiji boards. Ive seen the magic of witchcraft. Ive seen possessions and other phenomenon that is real. Dont mess around with that stuff!