Have you eaten some fresh fruits or vegetables today?

green1

Though I dont hate the veg n fruits, Im just a person who doesn't care about fruits and vegetables. If someone washes the fruit then I will eat some, it is a bad habits. I want to change myself and could you please tell me some advice?

veg.jpg

In my house, we eat fruits and veggies more than not-fruit not-veggies.  And that's because I am not savvy with the kitchen (I can't make anything taste like how my mother makes it which frustrates me to no end), I have become this if-I-don't-have-to-cook-it-then-it's-awesome type of mom.

So, just as an example... Today for dinner, we had mixed baby greens, mixed nuts, strawberry slices,  orange slices, and strips from a whole rotisserie chicken (that I bought already cooked hot and ready from the grocery's deli) with ginger vinaigrette dressing.   Zero cooking!  Cool, huh?

Oh, let me just tell you what we had for breakfast and lunch while I'm thinking about it...

Breakfast - I made our usual layered one - I have a bunch of these small rectangle pyrex containers that I use to serve breakfast in.  Bottom layer is rice, 2nd layer is raw spinach, 3rd layer is scrambled egg, 4th layer is bacon.  Yeah, lots of cooking on this one.  Hah!  Kids usually grab a piece of fruit from the bowl on the way out the door to school - the fruit bowl right now has a bunch of apples, bananas, mangoes, and melons.

Lunch - I made our usual bento (looks just like those stainless steel divided trays they use in prisons on TV),  The tray has 5 sections - 1 section is California roll sushi, 2nd section mangoes, 3rd section spring mix leaves with sliced cucumber, 4th section egg tamagoyaki (sushi doesn't have much protein, so egg adds more protein), 5th section is a small section in the tray that I use for sugary stuff for my kids (need that extra energy booster to power the school day) so today I put dark chocolate morsels in there.  So, in this lunch - I only cooked the rice (which is set it and forget it on the rice cooker) and the tamagoyaki (also very easy to do).  The sushi content are all no-cooking-necessary - imitation crab meat, cucumber, avocado.

That's really the cool thing about fruit and veggies - NO COOKING NECESSARY!  So just walk through your local grocery produce section and grab a veggie tray and a fruit tray.  Bring it home and munch on it to see if you like it.  There are several kinds of trays in my grocery - the popular one is the brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and snap peas tray.  Comes with ranch dip.  My family eat veggie munchies without any dip.  We put a little bit of vinaigrette dressing for salads.  The popular fruit tray is the apples, grapes, and cheese tray.  But, as it is spring/summer, lots of melon fruit trays are available.  But my favorite fruit is the mango - the yellow peel one, not the red peel one.  In the fall/winter, you won't find mangoes anymore, but the berries are there to take up the slack.  Bananas, of course, are the always available, super cheap fruit that everybody likes.  I like my banana with peanut butter.

Hopefully this gives you ideas.

Oh, and a bonus picture of one of the lunches I made before.  I just love making silly lunches because then the kids will eat it.  Hah hah.  Anyway, the Domo face is just a pbj sandwich.

domolunch_zps1e9d59b9.jpg

Edited by anatess2

12 hours ago, green1 said:

Woww, you are a creative mom, your children must be in happiness with so lovely mom. Perhaps I am still single, then have not learned to take care of myself yet, and I should improve myself.  Your lunch looks really cute and must be popular among the children.

My children are now teen-agers.  LOL.  But yeah, they still get a kick out of fun lunches.  I'm planning a Good Mythical Morning lunch that would have a "Will It Taco?" theme.  So, everything I put in the tray sections will be wrapped in soft taco shell... even the chocolates.  LOL.

@green1 - Wash a bunch of fruit and veggies all at the same time* and put in a bowl where you can see it often.  You could also make a decision to eat 2 or 3 fruits or veggies at every meal or that's what you have for snacks.  With so much variety, you can really mix it up so you're not bored with what you're eating.  Planning a weeks worth of meals ahead of time might also help increase your intake.

*though not strawberries and maybe some others that should only be washed right before eating - google it

15 hours ago, green1 said:

So make the fruits n vegs appearance in my sight area, then I will involuntarily want to eat them. Aha, such a cute plan.

Yeah, you'll be very motivated to eat them because if you don't then your house will be infested with fruit flies.  :D

I don't mind eating produce, but I hate buying it. How do you solve the problem of needing to hit the grocery store every 3-5 days to keep fruit fresh?

I almost never buy berries because they get mushy and/or moldy before I can eat all of them. And I get terminally bored with prepping fresh veggies that I'll spend the next three to four weeks trying desperately to not get lethargic about eating. 

I'm really hoping that taking my 18 y/o sister in next week will help me improve my kitchen habits. You know, being a good example and all that.

1 hour ago, seashmore said:

I don't mind eating produce, but I hate buying it. How do you solve the problem of needing to hit the grocery store every 3-5 days to keep fruit fresh?

I almost never buy berries because they get mushy and/or moldy before I can eat all of them. And I get terminally bored with prepping fresh veggies that I'll spend the next three to four weeks trying desperately to not get lethargic about eating. 

I'm really hoping that taking my 18 y/o sister in next week will help me improve my kitchen habits. You know, being a good example and all that.

Have you considered frozen berries? You can microwave them for 30 secs. A fun frozen treat!

I seem to be a seasonal fruit and vegetable eater.  I thrive on them during the summer.  That's when so many of them are in season.  It can get pretty hot here at times where I live and there is nothing better than a cold bowl of mixed fruit.  Yes it takes time to cut them up but oh so worth it once I'm done.

Summer corn on the cob is one of my favorite things.  Put them in a pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes and ready to go.  Little bit of butter and salt and pepper and that is a meal for me.  But they are best when you eat the same day you purchase.  There is a local farmer that has a stand close to me so I can stop there regularly and pick some up.

I eat more green salads with lots of veggies during the summer.  I've even made some up in advance and put them into mason jars.  You just grab and go.  Your meal is all right there.  

Lots of good recipes and things on pinterest if you have an account.  

I find that during the winter I don't eat as many because there just isn't the variety available as there is during the summer.  And what is available during the winter are way too expensive.

24 minutes ago, seashmore said:

I do go for the light/no sugar/sugar free options. I just find them messy.

In what way?  You usually eat these with a spoon.

But yes, it is always better to go get a pear from the produce section and munch on it.  It's super easy and convenient.  You can go take it anywhere with you in your pocket and eat it anytime.

On 2017/6/3 at 7:26 AM, Sunday21 said:

Some people like sliced veggies and dip for lunch. The dip could be humus, lite sour cream and onion soup mix. The veggies could be sliced cucumbers, carrots, celery.

It takes a lot of love for vegetables to prepare for such a delicate lunch.  Maybe I should have a new try as well.

On 2017/6/5 at 4:00 AM, pam said:

I seem to be a seasonal fruit and vegetable eater.  I thrive on them during the summer.  That's when so many of them are in season.  It can get pretty hot here at times where I live and there is nothing better than a cold bowl of mixed fruit.  Yes it takes time to cut them up but oh so worth it once I'm done.

I agree with your thoughts. Fruit will be more popular in the summer time, so it is necessary to supplement vitamin C with vegetables in the winter.

9 hours ago, anatess2 said:

In what way?  You usually eat these with a spoon.

But yes, it is always better to go get a pear from the produce section and munch on it.  It's super easy and convenient.  You can go take it anywhere with you in your pocket and eat it anytime.

The syrup drips.