Meditation, Mormons, and How they Fit Together

When you think of meditation, you might think (as I often do) of one of the earlier scenes in the second Ace Ventura movie. In this scene, Ace is in a monastery in Tibet. You see him in a room full of animals, sitting cross-legged on the ground, eyes glazed and meditating. In my opinion, he looks absolutely insane. That's not what it means to meditate. Meditation actually encompasses so much more. That's a fortunate fact for us Latter-day Saints because prophets tell us all the time to meditate. They tell us, as President Hinkley did, to "take a little time to meditate, to think of what we can do... to become better Latter-day Saints." What is Meditation? "Meditation" awkward to define. It might be termed as a broad range of activities that seek to improve mindfulness and awareness. Even that definition though doesn't quite capture all that it means to meditate. Meditation is the act of calming your mind and reaching a state of peaceful stillness. Most types of meditation share that...

View the full article

21 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Getting drunk and lying down on busy roads...in the dark...was the thing that 'cool' people did at my university. That is the trust fund people.

I was referring to the attire and the...  ahem...  posture.

22 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Getting drunk and lying down on busy roads...in the dark...was the thing that 'cool' people did at my university. That is the trust fund people.

Now that @Carborendum has clarified (and he's 100% right - the editors never should have allowed that photo, and someone should take it off the article), I can snarkily reply to Sunday's post with how we shouldn't discourage drunken, cool, trust-fund people from removing themselves from the gene pool... :rolleyes:

Just now, zil said:

Now that @Carborendum has clarified (and he's 100% right - the editors never should have allowed that photo, and someone should take it off the article), I can snarkily reply to Sunday's post with how we shouldn't discourage drunken, cool, trust-fund people from removing themselves from the gene pool... :rolleyes:

You are sooo funny!!! LOL! nose snort!

Dat feel when you do a reverse google image search for a hi-res version of the picture so you can zoom in and see what's wrong and you discover you can actually see underpants and then it dawns on you you're actually logged in to work when you did that and now you're wondering if your work IT is going to have a problem with what you just did, and now that you think about it is your wife going to have a problem with it.

No freeway yoga.  Not. One. Time. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

22 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I confess that I have no idea what is wrong with that picture and I have looked 3 times now! Sigh.

What's wrong with it is that the site is intended to reflect the teachings and standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that image very definitely does not reflect those standards, even if her underwear wasn't visible, and regardless of whether that fact leads to @NeuroTypical sleeping on the couch tonight.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Dat feel when you do a reverse google image search for a hi-res version of the picture so you can zoom in and see what's wrong and you discover you can actually see underpants and then it dawns on you you're actually logged in to work when you did that and now you're wondering if your work IT is going to have a problem with what you just did, and now that you think about it is your wife going to have a problem with it.

No freeway yoga.  Not. One. Time. 

Thank you! I feel embarrassed that you had to point that out! Sigh. Canadian!

I've been thinking of this a little recently. Meditation, essentially, quiets our mind, which makes it easier to hear the still, small voice.

We had stake conference this weekend, and the closing hymn was the choir singing Be Still, My Soul. Easily one of my favorite calm hymns. And there were people getting up and leaving in the middle of it, obviously to avoid traffic. I felt so bad that they were completely missing the point of that particular hymn. I chose to sit and listen with my ears and my heart to the message in the music, and it helped cement some of the things I had been taught during the speaking part of the conference.

8 minutes ago, Revolve said:

They must have changed the last photo. I'll admit, the comment did make me click and read the article.

No, they didn't.  We're talking about the woman sitting cross-legged in the middle of the road in a spaghetti-strap dress.

The pic is scantily-clad girl sitting cross-legged in the middle of the road showing her underwear.  Not really a horrible thing, but then not really following the BYU dress code either.   Carb and Sunday21's reaction are about the same as mine.  Zil's reaction is maybe 12.25% more than I'm reacting.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Zil's reaction is maybe 12.25% more than I'm reacting.

Hey!  All I said was that it's not up to Church standards - which, in theory, this site is supposed to uphold / reflect / something like that - so they ought to remove it.  Don't blame me if you got in trouble with HR / IT / your wife. :P

My other comment was in regards to @Sunday21's trust fund people engaging in stupid behavior and had nothing to do with the photo in question.

Just now, Revolve said:

I guess I've never seen workout attire standards. Seems pretty close to what you see at the gym and even at RS workout activities 

Since when is meditating in the middle of the road in a spaghetti-strap dress a workout? :hmmm:

(Meanwhile, at this point, I'm mostly having fun.  I still think the picture is inconsistent with expressed standards / policies for the site, but nagging @NeuroTypical is far more fun than that. ;) Maybe I can get my reaction rating up to 16.66%.)

Just now, zil said:

Since when is meditating in the middle of the road in a spaghetti-strap dress a workout? :hmmm:

(Meanwhile, at this point, I'm mostly having fun.  I still think the picture is inconsistent with expressed standards / policies for the site, but nagging @NeuroTypical is far more fun than that. ;) Maybe I can get my reaction rating up to 16.66%.)

Maybe the yoga class was full that day??

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

fitness-fanatic.jpg

That is a Texas restaurant not 10 miles from my house.  If you're able to eat the entire burger in one sitting, you get your picture up on the wall.