Opinion: “Lock Your Heart” and Intra-Mission Marriage

You're a young single adult minding your own business at university. One day you accidentally bump into an old Elder or Sister from your mission. You exchange pleasantries, one thing leads to another and before you know it you've crashed head-on into an important ethical dilemma: Is it appropriate to marry someone from your mission? The possible combinations of circumstances, scenarios and what ifs are infinite, but at the end of the day it's a fair and honest question. It's one that a lot of people ask and one that deserves an answer, so here it is. Short Answer: Sometimes. Long Answer: Marriage is encouraged—it’s a great thing. So, why wouldn’t it be appropriate to marry someone from your mission? Many opponents of intra-mission marriage strongly base their opinion on a talk that Spencer W. Kimball (then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve) alleged gave to a group of missionaries in Latin America in the 1960s, titled “Lock Your Heart”. Details surrounding the circumstances of this talk given over 40 years ago are sketchy...

View the full article

I will have been married for 26 years on June 16th to a sister from my mission.  We met post-mission at mutual friends wedding reception and started dating a few months later.  Interesting additional, my cousin will be in his 27th year on the same date under the same circumstances.

Edited by mirkwood

On 6/1/2017 at 7:23 PM, mirkwood said:

I will have been married for 26 years on June 16th to a sister from my mission.  We met post-mission at mutual friends wedding reception and started dating a few months later.  Interesting additional, my cousin will be in his 27th year on the same date under the same circumstances.

Living proof! Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary.

Numerous elders and sisters from my old mission, who happened to know each other a little during the mission, met after their missions, started dating, and got married.  This includes one of my instructors at the MTC, who married one of the sister missionaries in the mission within a year of when their missions ended.

I think it is perfectly fine, so long as you don't start the romance until after the conclusion of the missionary service.

(That said, you probably shouldn't go on a mission if your sole motivation is possibly meeting your future wife in the field.)

Edited by DoctorLemon