Mormon Art — with a Smile

A friend of mine updated his profile picture the other day, and there’s no nice way to say it, he looked terrible. Now, I hadn’t spent a lot of time memorizing this guy’s face, but his picture seemed like he had aged 30 years overnight. My curiosity piqued, I dug in a little and gathered from other shocked comments and replies that he had artificially aged his face with FaceApp, a fairly new face-morphing mobile app. I quickly downloaded the app and spent way too much time magically changing faces--my face, my wife’s face, my kids--by adding smiles, aging, or even swapping genders (which earned a shocked “ew” from my wife). A couple days later, my wife saw an article about a guy that had gone to a museum and used FaceApp to add smiles to classic art. A light went on and I immediately looked up the LDS art that so many of us have seen our whole lives. I started with Brigham Young, because well, we’re not...

View the full article