Which temples to visit? (utah)

siw5385

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting Utah this November to meet his brother who's serving in Salt Lake East when he gets released. Also, this is the same week as our 1st anniversary.

We want to visit at least 3 temples, but since there is so many near the Salt Lake area, which ones would you recommend? I know every temple is beautiful, but we wanted to experience the temple in different ways and they are all unique. Also, understand the culture/ history along side the blessings of the temple. We would visit all 17 if we could, but since we can't do that in a week, which temples near the Salt Lake would you recommend us visit for a first time in Utah trip? (yep it really is my first time in UT :) )

Thanks!

Well just so you know, the Jordan River Temple is closed for a couple of years for renovation.  So that one would be out unless you want to take pictures outside of the locked gates.

Definitely the Salt Lake temple.  Keep in mind that weather in November here can be tenuous.  We never know what to expect so have different plans.  There are numerous temples all within about a 50 miles radius.  But the ones I would recommend are unfortunately much further away. Such as the Logan, Manti and St. George.

I am going to second Pam's recommendation to go through the Salt Lake temple -- especially to go through an endowment session. Nothing against the film version that is used in almost all other temples, but I find that I experience the endowment narrative differently (so I "see" different things) during a live session than I experience in the film versions. If it has not changed, Manti also still does live sessions, if you would be interested in traveling that far away.

Beyond the live session, I will agree with Pam again, that a visit to the old "Pioneer" temples is a nice way to connect with the Church's pioneer roots

Provo City Center and Vernal can be a different experience, because they are retrofitted tabernacles, rather than having always been temples. A different way to connect to our pioneer heritage.

I also like the newest temples. Payson and Oquirrh mountain in particular.

All that said, I think if I were picking three and only three in between Ogden and Provo, I would visit Salt Lake, Oquirrh Mountain, and Provo City Center.

Provo city is absolutely beautiful!

Ogden temple has some cool symbolism if you can make it there :)

St George Temple is cool and old. If you do dealings you will get to see some of the older architecture

I would say Salt Lake, Provo City Center, and either Ogden or Payson--both of the latter two, I think, reflect the more intricate detail work (carved stone, stained glass, etc) that has characterized the temples of the last ten years or so. (Timpanogos, Bountiful, Draper and Oquirrh Mountain are lovely but, IMHO, a little more minimalist; and the pioneer "authenticity" of Logan was unfortunately much compromised by a renovation in the 1970s.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy