Feeling lost in my ...

Phoenix310

I have been meeting with some missionaries once a week for a month and half now. Very great guys. Informative and just great young me. I have also attended Sunday services at a local Temple.

My heart and spirit is growing stronger and closer to the LDS and becoming an official Mormon and member of the church. I am happy in where I'm going with my faith.

However, I feel this journey is very isolating with no real opportunities to do anything with in the faith, other Mormons, and the church. I really enjoy the Mormon faith, but I feel alone in it and lost.

Is be this normal? Any advice?

Hi @Phoenix310!  Welcome to the site, and more importantly welcome to learning more about the Gospel and strengthening your relationship with Christ!

Could you elaborate on how it is you're feeling isolated?  Is it a lack of feeling connected with other people, or not feeling like you know enough, or not having a place, or something else?

Some more information would greatly aide giving advice / relating.

Welcome, @Phoenix310!  Nice avatar. :)

Jane asks a good question.  While waiting for your reply, I'll make some suggestions that may be totally off base... ;)

At the start of Sacrament meeting (the main Sunday meeting), they usually hand out programs.  The program might list activities (if they are having any in the upcoming week), and attending one of these would be a good way to socialize with members.  If you're female, the Relief Society (the Church's organization for women) usually has a monthly activity you could attend.  Otherwise, ward-level activities for all members are less common, but happen.  Perhaps you could ask the missionaries to help you make some connections with members in your ward (even if you're not a member, you still live in a ward as they're geographic).

Like all people, Mormons can tend to be busy and kind of oblivious.  It's not that they don't care, or don't want to get to know you, it's that they're focused on assignments or their daily life, which might get in the way of taking advantage of the chance to meet new people.  Please be patient, and try to reach out in the same way you'd expect them to reach out.

And yes, I think it's probably normal - you're learning new things, are currently on the perimeter of a group of people who already know the things you're trying to learn, and lots of them already know each other, but very few probably know you, so it's kind of like starting a new job or going to a new school - you just need some time to make friends and get comfortable as part of a new group.  Try not to let it discourage you.

Also, you can come hang out with us, ask us questions, and we'll help you figure out the lingo, culture, and doctrine of the church (along with the missionaries and members in your area), and that might speed up the process.

PS: The building where Sunday meetings are held isn't a temple, it's generally referred to as "the church", sometimes "the ward house" or "ward building", or "the stake center" (if it happens to be a stake center - not all buildings are).  Most of the time though, it's just "church", as in:

"Where are we meeting?" Sister Jones asked.

"At the church," replied Brother Smith.

:)

Why the Sister Jones / Brother Smith addition into the reply? Was there a thought that I would not fully grasp the reply unless a more elementary school level addition was included? I did grasp the reply fully with out needing such an addition. Hmm, maybe my post gave off the impression that I am at a minimum and lesser intelligence that of my standings as an adult. As to the rest of this post, perhaps I made a mistake posting it.

21 minutes ago, Phoenix310 said:

Why the Sister Jones / Brother Smith addition into the reply? Was there a thought that I would not fully grasp the reply unless a more elementary school level addition was included? I did grasp the reply fully with out needing such an addition. Hmm, maybe my post gave off the impression that I am at a minimum and lesser intelligence that of my standings as an adult. As to the rest of this post, perhaps I made a mistake posting it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, nor did I assume anything about your intelligence.  Often Mormons use terms in ways that are different from others, but I don't know all of the nuances, and my only thought was that the example would ensure complete clarity.  I apologize that it came off as condescending - that was definitely not my intent.

On 6/13/2017 at 8:58 PM, Phoenix310 said:

However, I feel this journey is very isolating with no real opportunities to do anything with in the faith, other Mormons, and the church. I really enjoy the Mormon faith, but I feel alone in it and lost.

Have you made any LDS friends?   Have we not love-bombed you with a million invitations to things?

It's really normal for new folks to get happy and excited about what they're learning about us.  It's also really normal for us to fall all over ourselves inviting new folks to church, to activities, to lunch, to all sorts of things.  I'm not sure why this isn't your experience, and I'd like to understand more about what's going on, that leads you to feel isolated/alone.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, Phoenix310 said:

LDS terminology can be confusing and different from what mainstream people typically use.  This has everything to do with LDS terminology, and is no insult to anyone intelligence.  Heck, I was chatting with one of my best friends the other day-- an absolutely brilliant dude who's soaring through his phD, and he got the terms mixed up.  And he's been my great friend for years and we talk for hours every day (we're coworkers too).

@Phoenix310, again in which area of life are you feeling isolated?  There are MANY things to do in the Church or with church members.  If you want I can just start listing random ones, but I feel it'll be more helpful to you if I knew which area of activities you're looking for. 

2 hours ago, Phoenix310 said:

@Phoenix310, every poster has their own unique way of passing on information, you're reading more into @zil's post than what was intended. But since you brought it up, you may want to re-read your post and if you wish to correct any typos, there's a handy edit button to do just that. Welcome to the forum, from a non-LDS poster.

M.